nacmacfeegle

Steering line knot

I'm trying to visualize how this happened and can't really picture it. Could you elaborate on why stowing the excess thru the risers caused this. The main reason for my question is thats how I stow my excess line. I bring the loop of excess thru the riser and around the toggle before I insert it in the top toggle keeper. then I check to make sure the brake line is clear of all the excess.
"....and then the canopy opens and you float down to the ground like a multicolored snowflake"
JG
Rat# 27

Hrm, that is some scary stuff, because I have been stowing my excess through the risers also.. I usually insert the toggle through the loop (brake line inside) then take the excess to the outside, then through the riser, and around the toggle before stowing it. Will have to get some batteries for my digital camera to get a picture...
--
Give them a sip of the darkside, and they just thirst for more.

Hey John good to see you again at the weekend, congrats on the comp.....Sorry I couldn't hang around on sunday, you've seen the reason why....
Okay what I was doing wrong was taking the line directly from the toggle into the riser, not wrapping it round anything, just s-folding it into the wee gap. If it subsequently unstows there is sufficient slack on my set up to allow the toggle to pass thru on toggle release. Or maybe I passed my hand thru the slack before unstowing the toggle, I remember the slider being over the top section of the toggle, mebbe I was hasty in grabbing the toggle part that I could see.
"a multicolored snowflake" hehehe....nice tan ;)
Cya
D

I've had my rigger sew a piece of elastic webbing to the front of the rear risers to stow the excess line. Its kinda like the stowing set up of the Parchute de France risers (except they use non elastic tape). I'l try to take some pics latter....
Remster
Muff 914

Its kinda like the stowing set up of the Parchute de France risers

These also come standard on Relative Workshop Risers.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I used to stow my excess line like you do, but I discovered a problem and have a different method now. If there is enough tension on the excess loop, when you unstow the toggle it is possible to pull some of the excess through the cat's eye. This will result it a hung toggle. Although you can easily work this out by releasing pressure on the "knot" by pulling down a little on the brake line above the cat's eye, that is not very obvious while turning fast at 2000ft. I ended up landing mine since I didn't unstow the brakes until I was fairly low, and was able to steer and land with one toggle and one riser (tough, but doable under a Spectre 150 at 1.4). Once the canopy was on the ground with no tension in the brake line, the "knot" undid itself!
Just be aware of this possible problem if you choose to stow your excess line like this.
- Dan G

Dave it was good seeing you too sorry we didn't get a chance to jump but I'll be down to Sland before you take off, maybe then?.........you better believe it! I'm the brother man with the year round tan.
PS sorry you had to cut the weekend short but I'm glad you made it down safe
"....and then the canopy opens and you float down to the ground like a multicolored snowflake"
JG
Rat# 27

I stow my excess through the connector link and back down to the top keeper tab.I havent had any problems yet,although some people dont like the way it looks.I had a packer that left it hanging,and I had it knot around the whole toggle.had to use two hands to free it.The elastic keeper sounds good,please advise so I can have this done.Sunpath dosent address this in thier outdated owners manual.My packers dont like the way I do it,so they insist that I stow the brakes....This makes me nervous