skypuppy

Suspensions

Thanks Wendy....I dont think I'll ever get old.

I live in a senior citizens Apt bldg, and many of them have walkers etc. I scoot out of my apt, vault over a 4 ft railing and run to my car. I play Claissical music loud, and often sing along. Some neighbours complain, but I only do it in the mid day hours.

I believe they think I'm nuts.;);)

Anyhow, my only regret is I dont have someone to dance with.

The other people are nice souls, and I wonder why Im there, but the rent is subsidized....I guess thats it.

anyhow, thanks to you all....very much.

Bill Cole

I now have a copy of Bill's 1969 Carling Red Cap commercial, about 10 mg on real player or 1 mg wmv, but being technologically challenged, I don't seem to able to upload it to skydiving movies.com

Although I was unable to upload the commercial myself, Craig Poxon managed to get it onto skydivingmovies.com. Bill is the first one shown in the bar scene, not the actor who was hired to portray him. Check it out at...

ftp.skydivingmovies.com/public/misc/BillCole.wmv
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Not clicky I know - I told you I was technologically challenged... So just copy and paste... It seems to work for me....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

The Official Canadian High Alt record was set in 1973, and it was accepted by the BOD of CSPA.
Since the fools that run CSPA in the year 2008, have decided not to recognize the record anymore, I have decided to claim not only 1 record,..... but 3 official Canadian records.

Record jump #1:
Canadian High Altitude/GROUP/DAY jump;
Date of Jump: September 20th 1969:
Parachutists: Wm. (Bill) Cole D-41 and Murray Smith D-60
Site of Jump: Camp Borden Military Base,Ontario
Altitude of Jump: 31,700 ASL, 31,000 AGL, recorded on 3 sensitive altimeters, technician verified.
Aircraft: Lockheed Learstar.
Freefall time: 130 seconds

Record Jump #2:
Canadian High Altitude Individual/DAY Jump
Date of Jump: April 7th 1973
Parachutist: Wm. (Bill) Cole D-41
Site of Jump: Baldwin Airprt, Ontario
Altitude of Jump: 36,916 Ft, recorded on 2 barographs, technican verified
Aircraft: Turbo 210 Cessna ( CF-VHH )
Freefall time; 149 seconds.

Record Jump #3

High Altitude /GROUP/NIGHT Jump
Date of Jump: August 25th 1976
Parachutists: Wm. (Bill) Cole D-41 and Richard Wall, (unlicenced)
Site of Jump: Pearson Intnl Airport, Toronto
Altitude of Jump: 30,571 ft, recorded on 2 barographs, technician verified
Aircraft: Cessna 210 Turbo ( CF-WPU)
Freefall time: 130 seconds.

All these jumps are much higher than anything in CSPAs record book, whichis full of inaccuracies.

Records are records. How foolish for the CSPA to recognize lesser accomplishments and ignore Bill's because they don't like him. It isn't like he was taking steroids.

In my book you hold those records Bill. To hell with the politics driven rewrite of parachuting history.

I noticed that the jumpship in the first record was a Learstar. Do you happen to know the reg number? That was one faaaast Lodestar mod.

Mark
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Yes it has been a long time. I enjoyed my years at Parkman, butthat DZ has changed since Bobby took it over....and not necessarily for the better.

Dale is a great guy...one of the best.

I have one scratched copy of the Silent Sky....a copy of a copy of a copy etc.

Hi Bill... Jim Artle here.
After I mentioned that I hadn't seen you since the 70's in Parkman I got to thinking.

I remembered that Dale loaned me the DZ's copy of he movie so I could dupe it to VHS to use for training. (god knows why he and Lucinda let ME teach, but...)

Anyhow, I dug around in the attic and found it. It's almost pristine, but it's missing the tribute to the Lake Erie jumpers at the end. As we speak, It's being copied to DVD.

Send me your address, and I'll send it to you. It's not right .that you shouldn't have a good copy of your own dammed movie. Besides, I still have a lot of respect for the man how showed me how to swoop on a Parafoil back in 1970, Too bad I broke my arm when I tried it.

Be Happy Old friend

[email protected]

Hi Scott,

As far as I know Ted Mayfield is the only USPA member to get the lifetime ban.

I 'think' that there have been others but almost all, if not all, of them have had it lifted after a few years of staying in the good graces of USPA.

Ted's is still in effect. He has tried to get it lifted on numerous occasions but I doubt that he ever will.

It really comes down to him admitting that he did things wrong for them to forgive him. And he will NEVER do that; he just does not believe that he did anything wrong. :S

Just my thoughts . . .

JerryBaumchen

Hi Bill,

What did he do to get his suspension???

I don't have enough years left to tell you everything that was wrong at his dz.

I 'think' the actual event was with a student who cutaway too low and was killed. And then there was the 80+ yr old guy who was put out on a skydiving rig that Ted had hooked up the static line so that the main could not open.

It was a dz that was great for those of us who wanted 'no rules' skydiving, but not a place for students.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Bill,

What did he do to get his suspension???

I don't have enough years left to tell you everything that was wrong at his dz.

I 'think' the actual event was with a student who cutaway too low and was killed. And then there was the 80+ yr old guy who was put out on a skydiving rig that Ted had hooked up the static line so that the main could not open.

It was a dz that was great for those of us who wanted 'no rules' skydiving, but not a place for students.

JerryBaumchen

Dont forget he was flying the plane and jumpmastering at the same time in both instances.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Dont forget he was flying the plane and jumpmastering at the same time in both instances

So I'm hearing that "Fandango" was based on a true story?:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Dont forget he was flying the plane and jumpmastering at the same time in both instances

So I'm hearing that "Fandango" was based on a true story?:S

Yep; except Pecos parachute school was in Oregon and not Texas.

And; Ted had 13 fatalities in about 9 years at a small cessna DZ. Roch Charmet bounced there and at the time he had more jumps than anyone in the world. (over 10,000)

It was a sad story all the way around and I always liked Teddy. But, I would never send my sister or girlfriend to make the first jump there.

Sheridan was the ultimate outlaw DZ back in the day. The parties were legendary and fatalities were common.

More later,
Onward and Upward!

I guess the suspension sounds legitimate enough, but that doesnt happen here in Canada.

I was called as a witness in an inquest, when an obese man was dropped to his death with his main paachute hooked closed .

He had broken his leg in 5 places on his first jump, and one would think the DZ would have learned from that.
NO NO...they put himout again and hooked the main closed, the guy had a 28 ft reserve and the AOD didnt work.

He exploded like a bomb when he hit the ground.

At the inquest, CSPA wanted me to lie about the adequacy of his reserve ( if it had worked) and I wouldnt.

I told the inquest that I did not believe that the reserve would not have brought the man down safely due to his extreme weight ( obesity) and the added weight of his unpacked main.

The CSPA Exec Director stormed out of the inquest in his shirt sleeves into a heavy winter snowstorm.

I based my words on a friend who weight 125 lbs and had done the samething, hooked his own main closed. When he pulled his reserve, it split fromthe topto the bottom. The only thing that saved the man's life was the upper and lower lateral bands that held together.

The weight of the deceased man was another 35 pounds heavier, and I feel the lateral bands would have torn apart on the 28 ft reserve if it had opened.

That is one of the main resasons CSPA suspended me for Life a second time.

The other reason was because I appeared on a TV show, and they didnt like the answers I gave to the hosts question, for which I was paid $1500.00 for a 15 minute program.

That's life in Canadian parachuting for ya.

Hi Scott,

Well, you are mostly right.

a small cessna DZ

In those days it had two Cessnas & two Beech D-18's.

Roch Charmet bounced there and at the time he had more jumps than anyone in the world. (over 10,000)

Roch had over 14,000 jumps when he went in; he was well known for pulling low or getting out very low.

But, I would never send my sister or girlfriend to make the first jump there.

I wouldn't send my ex-wife there to make a first jump.

The parties were legendary and fatalities were common.

Very true; a paradise for the experienced jumpers.

JerryBaumchen

The Official Canadian High Alt record was set in 1973, and it was accepted by the BOD of CSPA.
Since the fools that run CSPA in the year 2008, have decided not to recognize the record anymore, I have decided to claim not only 1 record,..... but 3 official Canadian records.

Hi Bill

I have put together an updated webpage with the records you claim and some new pics, and the article about you from 2001 in Canpara.

http://hometown.aol.com/pricesmoneypit/canadianhighaltitudeskydiving.html

Whether official CSPA or not, those are accurate altitudes listed, and if someone wants to go higher, that's fine with me. I would be the first to shake their hand an congratulate them.

BTW: Today, August 20th, is the 39th anniversary of my 1st chuteless jump, ( Wednesday August 20th 1969 ).

Bill Cole D-41

I based my words on a friend who weight 125 lbs and had done the samething, hooked his own main closed. When he pulled his reserve, it split fromthe topto the bottom. The only thing that saved the man's life was the upper and lower lateral bands that held together.

The weight of the deceased man was another 35 pounds heavier, and I feel the lateral bands would have torn apart on the 28 ft reserve if it had opened.

160lbs is considered "obese" and too much for a 28' reserve?

That is precisely what I said at the inquest, but CSPA was furious because I wouldn't lie on oath ( or any other time either), and the exec director of CSPA stormed out of the inquest/court room into a blinding snow storm to cool down.

This is one of the reasons for the 2nd life suspension., ( John Smyth's revenge)

Interesting enough, the CSPA BOD held a Directors meeting on August 5th 1973, and agreed ( not unanimously) to NOT renew my membership IF, I applied for it..

One month later, with no other Directors meeting in the meantime, John Smyth, Exec Director took it upon himself to send me a notice that I was suspended for life a 2nd time, effective when I received the letter.

When it arrived in the mail on November 6th 1973 , I had not renewed my membership, so they suspended a NON-member.

There was never a directors meeting to suspend me the 2nd time, just John Smyth's anger.

I was offered NO opportunity to appear before the CSPA BOD for either suspension. So much for an association who thinks they have integrity, but it desn't exist, except in their minds.

The HALO record was recognized by Smyth ( before he lost his temper) and CSPA filed the record with the Royal Canadian Flying Clubs Ass'n, who represent the FAI in aviation matters in Canada.

CSPA then received the certificate from the RCFCA and sent it on to me. I consider that as CSPA recognizing the record jump.

Years later, Buzz Bennett ( formerly a BOD member), deceided not to recognize the record, and threw it our of their books. More CSPA temper tantrums.

Now CSPA tells me I have to submit a request to have it recognized a second time at the AGM.

Try to figure that one out.!!!!!!