dropdeded

High Alt. Attempt Info ??

There's also a pretty good article in Popular Science, I think in the January issue. Pictures, charts, the works

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I went to popular science magazine in the search bar (dont know how to make clicky) and clicked on aviation and space(top right) and its about 4-5 articles down.Good article,8 pages long.
(thanks Wendy)

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Dunno if you've already read it, but try and get hold of teh book Freefall by Tom Read, its worth a glance as it describes his abortive efforts to do this type of jump, anongst other things.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

This used to be something that i was interested in and I got alot of info stored around the house ill post it as i find it.

In 1941 Arthur Starnes set a world record by freefalling from 30800 feet to 1500 ft. This jump would be much like those done in the future by Col. Joe and others in that it had many doctors on the staff to record info. The jump was done to prove that pilots could survive long falls from high altitude without suffering ill effects.

-e
Propblast

OK so I will probably wear this thread out and be banished to the land of post whores but, here is another.

:)
Around 1963 in the former USSR by MAj. Andreyev he jumped from a balloon gondola at 80,000 ft. and pulled at 2600. This set the new delay record at the time. He had a buddy with him that pulled at 80,000 in an attempt to make a height record without delay but, he froze to death in the process. Once again proving the value of a good suit, his malfunctioned. His name was Dolgov.
more to follow.

-e

Propblast

Art Starnes was one of the few guys with the name and resources to get sponsors for a jump like this at the time I guess...

I'm attaching a picture of his outfit from Michael Horan's book, Parachuting Folklore...

The book went on to say that ' to counter the effects of the -46 degree F temperature, Starnes wore an 'electrically-heated' suit of coveralls...' I'm imagining that at least one of the cords you can see in the picture, then, is his extension cord...

Where he got an extension cord that long (30,000'?) I don't know.

Did he plug it into the plane? or into one of the buildings near the landing site?

And how did he manage to freefall almost 29,000' without tangling in this long extension cord? ( I guess he could have just used one 15,000' long so that when he reached lower, warmer altitudes it would reach the end and unplug from his suit, leaving him free to fall alone until opening... That would also explain how his chute never tangled with the cord on opening...)

With a cord that long it's a good thing the Columbia River Hydro project was already underway to supply the electricity...

If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Starnes - 1941.jpg

Ok another history fact to follow.

Tac-test 63-18

End of 1963 this was a joint effort by the US Army and US Airforce to develop freefall techniques for the military. Jumps were made all the way up to 43,500 ft. Altitude was derived by averaging all the jumpers barometers. They jumped from a C-130B. Like I said this was a test HALO jump. It involved a total of 14 jumpers I believe. 9/5 split between Army and the AF. Pretty ballsy stuff for the time.

-e
Propblast

OK so I will probably wear this thread out and be banished to the land of post whores but, here is another.

Yeah but,"I" will probably get an "A" so,

WHORE ON

Actually its appreciated,this stuffs pretty hard to find

dropdeded
The Dude Abides.
-

K you asked for it. When you do your research remember starnes and kittinger made several attempt over the years constantely uping the bar.

more info on Tac Test

There record was set 16 Dec 63. All these guys went through the standard process one would do today. Showing the importance of their work, like prebreathing etc. 16 total jumps where made. They jumped over the Naval Air Facility at El Centro, Calif. Making this truly a multi-national affair. There is an old parachutist article on this that ive seen on the web, Ill see if I can find it for you if you like. Attached is a photo of them if it will go

-e

Propblast

10man.jpg

Whoring On

heres a few other small acts one courtesy of skypuppy's question on suspensions that i had forgot.

Bill Cole owens the highest Canadian jump at 32,916 feet it is reconized by the FAI although it seems its not by the CSPA.

Here is another little known fact in 1934 the altititude/delay record was earned by an american, in russia using russian equipment pilots and planes.Victor Herman earned the record jumping from an ANT-9 at 24,000 feet. No reserve. No Oxygen. It was his 43 jump. It was a 142 second freefall. He was really young as I remember.

Ill try to find something on Tom Reid's attempt before he passed. You might have more luck with someone from England though.

-e
Propblast

:oStill Whoring:o
but with the purpose to help.

Tom Read (yes it was my misspelling earlier.)

His project was known as the "Skydive from Space" and had several goals. One was to hit 130,000 feet the other was to fall supersonic. The man really wanted both the alti record I guess. It was more important to him. He worked with GQ parachutes, Zvezda: a russian space suit manufacture, talked to Kittinger and NASA and managed to get backing from a firm. Which these days is a big problem. His book details the problems of body flight entering and decelerating(a portion everyone forgets) from MACH1. During his training time i think he did the highest tandem at 26,000 with oxygen in spain. This has probably been surpassed I do not know. Hope it helps.

-e
Propblast

Actually, no.

Kittinger's fall was a drogue fall but the current attempts, well at least in the case of Read were to use standard skydive body stablization tech. I think that the other two are attempting to do the same thing. That is why everyone is worried about spinning out of control.

-e
Propblast

Air density does have an effect. So does temperature and humidty I guess. Scientists feel free to correct me because my degrees are in history. At sea level sound travels at approx 750 mph. At 90,000 feet ive been told it travels at about 675 mph. Remember passing through is not the only time people think there will be a problem. But decel will also be interesting. Does this help?

-e
Propblast

Im surprised that no one has brought up another famous N. American attempt at this record. That of Nick Piantaniea. HE was not a military test jumper but rather a sky diver that got caught up with obtaining the high altitude record. I'd like some one to check for me but I believe he started his jumping in or around Lakehurst. By todays numbers he would have been a novice I guess. He had less than 500 jumps under his belt when he went out for the record. His attempts were plagued from the get go. 1st attempt= 22 OCT 1965 his balloon burst at 22,700 feet over St. Paul, Minn. Gondola was released and had a parachute. Nick bailed out of that once it got to about 10,000 ft.
Attempt #2 = 2 FEB 66 Souix Falls, SD He made it up to 120,500 in his balloon was prepping to jump and couldnt disconnect his oxygen hose. He rode that balloon up to 123,500 ft. then they disconnected the gondola it fell to 98,000 ft where is gondola chute deployed. He rode that one to the ground
Attempt #3 = May 1966 at 57,000 ft he had an emergency. either his face plate blew in or he opened it. He never regained conscience. they released the balloon and he came down to earth where he died about three months later. You can check these facts in a number of places but i think they are accurate. He was an intresting guy with a dream. More to follow as I find it.
Propblast

Here is another tidbit.

The official record holder is Eugene Andrev 83,523 Ft
He jumped in november 1962
Volsk Area

How is the paper coming along by the way?

Its actually coming along pretty good.Its only supposed to be a couple pages long and Its a pain in the ass to not be able to put down all of this info.He's got us doin several papers at once so they have to be short.I may just find out if I can do the TERM paper on this subject, bein as he was very interested when I told him what the mid-term paper was about.

This is actually pretty fun:)
dropdeded

The Dude Abides.
-