Merrick

Speaking of Cockiness & Complacency....

As Pam mentioned in the Talk Back forum, I had a bit of a problem myself this weekend. We picked up our gear from the Auger Inn Riggin Loft at Raeford (Eddie's bad-ass) from getting our reserves in, I'd already assembled my main before we took them in so I just had him look over what I'd done. Well, while assembling my own main I noticed that Relative Workshop had sent me a standard pilot-chute instead of the collapsible that I'd ordered.... to sidetrack, when I called them about the problem they sent the collapsible out to me just in time for me to get it the day we were moving in to our new house here in NC.... anyway, so after we'd gotten our rigs from the loft I insisted that I knew what I was doing (after much disagreement from Pam I might add.... damn that "crow" tastes bad) & attached the collapsible to my main (just like I'd done a few times before on my sabre with no problems). Well, lets just say that I obviously didn't get it hooked up right, but thinking I know everything, didn't have the sense to have someone check it.... packed that bad boy up & was ready to jump. Maybe it was the buzz of a new, bigger DZ, maybe it was the excitement of finally getting to jump my new rig, or maybe I was just being a f**king knob..... probably the latter. 20 minutes later we find ourselves on the s. otter not feeling right at all, but I just blew it off to new DZ & new rig jitters.... 12,500, Pam & I exit the plane in a two-way working on proximity... which went surprisingly well for not having REALLY jumped in a while.... Pull time, I had already planned on pulling at like 5,000 since I would be under a new canopy to give me time to get used to it (probably the only smart thing I did on that jump)..... track away, 4,800 I reached back & pulled, I didn't feel that nice warm-fuzzy feeling the pilot-chute gives as you feel it tuggin on your back & standing you up.... I knew immediately what was wrong, looked back & sure 'nuff, the damn thing was just flapping back behind me. My first reaction was to reach back & grab the bridle, It's what I'd always said I'd do if I ever had a pilot-chute in tow & I did it in an instant... problem was as I reached back and looking at my altimeter reading about 4,000 I flipped over onto my back as I manually pulled the pin, I saw my lines come up the right side of my body as I was kind of heading head-down at this point, so I pulled my legs in to get them the f**k away from the lines, I didn't need this mess getting any worse........ WHAM!!! the canopy snapped open hard & flipped me back down underneath where I belonged.... I still had plenty of altitude (2,000ft), I did a quick body-check cuz I was literally seeing stars and thought I might even black out, checked the canopy as well & everything was cool..... landed uneventfully... except for the evil turbulence here in NC. LOL
Needless to say, Pam was NOT happy watching from above as I fall and fall and fall wiggling (as she put it) with my pilot-chute out behind me. Complacency can kill you, and like Skreamer in his post I had a little reflection time with myself, it scares me that I was so non-chalante about something that very well could have killed me, especially after not having jumped much this year. Nothing like that will be happening again, I've got to much to lose by being a dumb-ass! I'll be feeling this one (& hearing about it) for a while.... I have some hellacious bruises on my shoulders and upper arms from god knows what... and enough of an ass-pucker to know that I screwed up when I don't have that luxury.
Blues!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Umm... DAMN! Glad to hear that everything worked itself out, Merrick! Hopefully, you'll listen to that little voice from now on.:)I'm also glad to hear that things are going smoothly for you & Pammi in NC. Hopefully, I will be in NC at the end of July / beginning of August for a week to visit my brother. We will definitely be getting together and getting some jumps in.
Later,
Kris

Nothing like that will be happening again, I've got to much to lose by being a dumb-ass!
-----------------------------------------------
glad to hear you were able to fix the prob. And Im glad to hear that you were alloted "another chance" to prove how much of a dumbass you can be:)cheers brutha!
( Who woulda guessed...Pammi was the voice of reason:D) thats gonna take along time to apologize to her!
Have fun, Live free, SKYDIVE!!T
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100

"You do have a Cypres, right?"

ROFL - yeah, I'm just glad that I pulled high enough that I didn't have to worry about it. It actually surprised me how well I kept track of my altitude throughout this mess. :)

"Hopefully, I will be in NC at the end of July / beginning of August for a week to visit my brother. We will definitely be getting together and getting some jumps in."

Excellent man, that would rock.... from the few jumps we did this weekend we discovered that our freefall skills are VERY rusty, but I'm sure we can think of something to do.... Maybe they'd let us use the 182 and we could stall this one too! ;)

"And Im glad to hear that you were alloted "another chance" to prove how much of a dumbass you can be"

ROFL - yeah, absolutely.... according to Pam, I do dumb shit all the time, I'm sure this won't be the last.... and her being the voice of reason was simply beyond all comprehension.... that's why I ignored her! ;)

"look at the positive side, you probably got a spanking out of it!"

Bwahahahaha.... how'd you know!?!?
Blues!
Merrick

WOW that story sounds familiar. My PC was cocked (just didn't create enough drag), but my opening was about the same. I never really had time to think about pulling my handles. Before I knew it I had reached back for the bridle. Pulled the pin (or pulled the bag out, I'm not really sure if the PC had already opened the container or not...I don't think so), and it flipped me over. I watched the bag bounce over my right side. Canopy opened, flipped me back over, and I had a couple line twists.
Next time, you gonna pull the bridle or go straight for the handle(s)? I really don't know how I'd react next time. Didn't like opening on my back, but I hate the idea of sending my reserve right into my pilot chute or probably my opening main (cut away or not).
Dave
http://www.skydivingmovies.com

Dude, I think it is totally admirable that you are willing to share your story this way. As one person told me in an email when I posted about my low pull, better to do that so others can learn than to sweep it under the tarmak. If you admit you f***ed up to yourself and others than you will fix the problem, if you deny it you will repeat it. Glad you are ok, trust me, I know the feeling that is a mix of disaapointment in yourself and shock of realizing how bad it almost got. Can make you shudder afterwards, huh?
Drewfus McDoofus

"the feeling that is a mix of disaapointment in yourself and shock of realizing how bad it almost got. Can make you shudder afterwards, huh?"

EXACTLY!!! I was a bit reluctant to share the experience, but if someone would have had a similar experience a year or so ago & shared it with me I more than likely wouldn't have made the mistakes I did..... thanks for the support, and although as unwelcome as the situation was, I welcomed the attitude adjustment!
Blues!
Merrick