slotperfect

Tandem News From USPA/FAA

From USPA's Website:
FAA Accepts USPA Tandem Program (06/07)
The FAA has issued a letter of acceptance recognizing USPA's Tandem Instructor Course. Part 105 requires a tandem instructor to have successfully completed, and been certified, "by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute system…or a course acceptable to the (FAA) Administrator." Prior to FAA acceptance, a tandem instructor must have held a current tandem manufacturer's rating to comply with the regulation. Now, a tandem instructor can hold only a current USPA tandem instructor rating and be in compliance.
Does anyone have the link to this FAA letter? I plan to make a call about this today - I'll post again here if I find out anything. I'm interested to know what Ted Strong and Bill Booth will do as a result of this letter.
Respectfully,
SP

Call me an old fart, but I don't get it.
Every manufacturer puts handles in different locations and it takes a few days to learn the different packing methods. How are you supposed to learn this stuff without some instruction from a factory rep/examiner?

>Every manufacturer puts handles in different locations and it takes a few days to
> learn the different packing methods. How are you supposed to learn this stuff
> without some instruction from a factory rep/examiner?
Same way a rigger can pack a Racer without having a "certificate of competency" from Jump Shack - by reading the manuals, talking to people who have done it, and some practice. Similarly, the same way an AFF-I can begin training using a new student system (like throwout instead of ripcord) without manufacturer training. Note that this new regulation does not _forbid_ factory examiners from training new TM's, it just does not _require_ it to be in compliance with the FAR's.
-bill von

The FAA letter of acceptance is only the first step. What still has to happen is that the manufacturers have to turn over the training on their specific rig to USPA, this hasn't happened yet. Don't think that because you hold a USPA tandem instructor rating that you don't have to renew your manufacturers rating, that's still down the road a little ways.
John Wright

I just asked the folks at RWS about this and here is an excerpt of the response that I got.....
"Though nothing is written in stone yet, I believe USPA plans to list the tandem systems for which the instructor has been rated on the instructor's rating card. Much in the same way that the FAA lists aircraft a pilot has been type-rated on their licenses.

Relative Workshop's plan is to hand over the "mantle of certification" to USPA sometime after the manual has been approved. RWS will still continue to "type-rate" examiners.

At this time, if you hold a RWS Vector/Sigma tandem instructor rating, you no longer need to recertify with us. You must only obtain your USPA Tandem Instructor rating and they will carry you from here on out. Unless of course you're an examiner, then you must maintain your RWS rating.

Hope that answers your questions.

Best regards,

T.K. DONLE
Tandem Program Director
Vice President
The Uninsured Relative Workshop.com"
What that means to me is that RWS is not going to worry about the individual and his currency... (just like General Motors doesnt worry about you having a drivers permit because you have a Camaro) RWS will continue to certify examiners, as I am sure Strong Enterprises and 'Stunts' will also... I know Mr Booth lurks the 'DZ.COM' boards, maybe if he comes across this thread he can post 'ground-truth'....
The manual being spoken of is in draft form right now, and due out on 15June... the FAA has already (as USPA put on the web-site) pretty much agreed, but the legal documents arent finished yet... a more fact based answer can be gained by e-mailing the USPA saftey & training section.
Blue Skies and soft landings.....
hope that helps.....
Billy

This is an exact copy of part of a reply I got from TK yesterday. I emailed both he and Ted Strong yesterday. I am waiting for a reply from Ted, and I will get some more clarifications and post them here:
1) Situation #1: current Vector Tandem Master, no USPA Tandem Instructor rating . . . will he still be able to do tandems?
2) Situation #2: non-rated jumper seeks a Vector tandem rating . . . does he now have to obtain the manufacturer's "Type" rating AND the USPA rating to do tandems?
Maybe this manual will tell the tale.
Respectfully,
SP

sit#1 is a good one to ask.....
because right now you can do TM work and NOT be a USPA "TAN-I"...... you simply can't do "progression" or category training.... you are little more than a carnival ride, but you can still jump....
after the change, who knows.....
I am looking forward to seeing what Strong has to say....

Here is how it will affect things: it will save me $25 bucks a year! Currently, even though I hold the USPA Tandem Instructor rating, I must still pay RWS $25 a year to maintain my "type" rating. This is redundant, of course, because I also pay the same amount every year to renew all my USPA ratings.
Anyway, the way the first letter was worded, if you only had a "type" rating (but no USPA tandem I ticket) you could still do tandems, but they were considered "rides" and did not count towards your A-license. Only a USPA rated Tandem Instructor was authorized to teach tandem progression and, thus, have those jumps count toward your license.
Personally, I will be glad when I only have to pay the one fee. USPA plus pro ticket, plus instructional ratings, plus yearly manufacturer fee equals quite a bit of cash.
My webpage HERE

you only had a "type" rating (but no USPA tandem I ticket) you could still do tandems, but they were considered "rides" and did not count towards your A-license. Only a USPA rated Tandem Instructor was authorized to teach tandem progression

That is the way I interpreted it as well. Otherwise those who are currently "type" rated by the manufacturer but NOT USPA rated would be high and dry. That doesn't make any sense.
This move does simplify things and make them less expensive, I agree . . . whether or not it is a "good" thing remains to be seen. I will be watching to see what happens.
Respectfully,
SP