jimmy42

Leaving the step a bit early?

I am a DZ pilot flying a Cessna 182. (I also have no personal jumps yet, but I do have 22 hours of dropping skydivers) Last week, I was dropping static lines. My second guy got to the edge of the step and he vanished. The jumpmaster said he missed my tail by 12" I could feel a different feeling in the controls when the jumper left, but everything else was normal. The jumper had no idea what happened, and I don't either!
So, here's my questions...
1. What did happen? Is it a similar case to a chute opening up while standing on the step?
2. Are static line jumps more dangerous then normal jumps? The reason I ask this is that dropping at 3,500' instead of 10,500 means less time to react if something did go wrong. 3. Should I be more unnerved then I am now? This is the first time something like that happened to me, and maybe it is more serious then I though?
Thanks! !

I am also a jump pilot, though nowadays I might only fly jumpers once or twice a year at my dad's DZ in Alabama. Anyway, the student more than likely had a premature deployment caused by improper stowage of the SL. There is another thread in this forum concerning different methods of stowage. Does this DZ use direct bag or static-line assist? Generally, if it uses direct bag and you have a premature deployment, the weight of the bag will ensure it goes below the tail. It is possible, and unfortunately has already happened, where the main(or reserve) fires right over the tail. This, obviously, leads to major structural damage and in some cases death.
Now to the pilot shit: I would NEVER fly jumpers without a pilots rig. You are absolutely correct in your concerns about having less time to react to emergencies at this lower altitude. Also, when I am dropping SL students I keep my eye on the student. If I saw a premature opening happening I would immediately roll left and get the tail over. Would a person be able to react fast enough? Hell, I don't know, but at least I have a plan.
I have a very good friend, the wife of one of my best buddies, who got yanked off the plane on her 3rd SL as I Jumpmastered. I inspected her twice before she left the plane, but did not notice that her SL was not secured as per our club SOP. My mistake, and it's never happened again, but that doesn't change the fact that it might have been very ugly had the main went over the tail. (it actually bounced off it and then went under; it was THAT close) She had no idea what had happened and I couldn't do anything but scream "go" when I saw what was happening. Luckily, it didn't spook her so bad that she freaked out and quit (she now has 140 jumps), but the FAA RIGGER that packed that main was banned from touching students indefinitely. Bottom line: discuss your DZ's pack closing and SL stowage technique with the head rigger. Express your concerns and tell him you will be on the lookout for problems. Though you are not yet a jumper, I am sure you can see the neccessity of having a GOOD working knowledge of the equipment and emergency procedures. If you are not already using one, get a damn pilots rig and learn how to operate it. Make the DZ give you a first jump course and let you make a jump or two, even if you choose not to stick with it. If you are like most small DZ pilots, you are not getting paid. Therefore, it is in your best interest to be as qualified and prepared as you need to be in order to do your job safely and effectively.
Chuck

Another thing that very well could have happened is that he just slipped off. Most first time jumpers don't expect the relative wind on the step to be nearly as strong as it is... if this is what happened, the only problems I can see it causing would be the student smacking his head on the step or the elevator as he fell, which could be bad, but wouldn't hurt the plane.
But I totally agree that it's a good idea for you to find out about anything that could possibly go wrong when flying jumpers and have a specific plan for each problem, and to wear a pilot's rig and know how to use it. I wouldn't ever want to fly SL jumpers without a fast escape route if something went wrong.
Marc

I am a DZ pilot flying a Cessna 182. (I also have no personal jumps yet, but I do have 22 hours of dropping skydivers) Last week, I was dropping static lines. My second guy got to the edge of the step and he vanished. The jumpmaster said he missed my tail by 12" I could feel a different feeling in the controls when the jumper left, but everything else was normal. The jumper had no idea what happened, and I don't either!

Which DZ do you fly at? I saw your profile says you live in Florida - I live and jump in Central Florida.. Titusville, Deland, Sebastian..
After reading your message, the first thing that came to mind is that after the student fell off the step, the instructor short lined him.. Typically used when a student goes unstable on exit - short lining is basically taking in slack of the static line to deploy the canopy earlier than normal so it doesn't wrap around the jumper causing a jumper in tow.. Chances are the JM had most of the static line slack in his hand as the student was climbing out..
Static line is, in my opinion, more dangerous than 'normal' jumps.. Most jumpers don't deploy the canopy immediately after exit - so there is no danger of the canopy wrapping the tail..
I hope you wear a rig(as required by the STC, I believe), and know how to use it.. Chances are you will never need to use it - but it sure would be nice to have if you do need it.. If the shit really hits the fan, get out.. Don't "try to save the airplane".. I don't normally fly jumpers - I'd rather be jumping than flying on my time off..
Mike

the first thing that came to mind is that after the student fell off the step, the instructor short lined him..

I thought about writing about that possibility, but was led to believe by the original post that the student "didn't know" what happened. Generally, if someone "falls off", he knows what he did. That leads me to believe he had a premature deployment. Also, if he fell off (which happens occasionally unfortunately), then he wouldn't be anywhere near the tail. We as SL Instructors and JM's use the "shortline" technique to prevent our students from flipping through the risers, etc. It was used far more back when we had them standing on their left foot on the step and their right foot out in space. Now with the "hanging" technique it is less common to have to shortline people, but it still gets plenty of use. The major reason, at least in my 20 years experience, is that some JM's don't have their students put their legs out stiff enough, so when they let go, they start to flip over backwards. Not a big deal for the JM who is on the ball.
Chuck

Short-lining never made much sense to me.
Despite the fact that I started dropping static-line students back in 1982 with military surplus gear, I never saw the logic to short-lining until Jamie Woodward gave me his explanation.
Jamie said that short-lining made sense back when they used 80 pound break-cord to close static-line rigs. Then a jump-master could yank a student back to vertical if the neophite back-looped off the step. Jamie abandoned the practice when he introduced hanging exits, piggyback containers, etc.

HI
Bringing up a really old post re S/Ls....
We exit like this, with left leg on the step, hop backwards ... I have often wondered what would happen with premature opening. WHen we did ground school we all had the same concern. WHen the plane is on the ground, you've got the wing over your head, and you feel as if the tail is right up your butt!
But, it didn't bother me after the first jump. I crouched down low on that one, but after that I have "stood tall" ....
One day we were in a borrowed plane which didn't have a step, so we basically had to stand on the wheel. One tiny little student got out on the wheel, only to discover the wheel brake wasnt on! She slipped forward betw wheel and strut. Fortunately she was so small she didnt hurt herself. After that I made sure I gave that wheel a good flick with my foot before standing on it!:)

Kerry

I remember packing b-12 containers with break-cord back in the 70's. Most of the time we would use the lines taken from the inside of 550 lines for break cord. I can't recall what test this was. This tied the static line to the sleeve (where the pilot chute was attached). Then the static line was tied at each cone on the container. So there were four or five places where this cord would have to break loose. This method seemed to work well enough, but I'm sure there are much safer static-line rigs today. I'll bet there was a possibility of a student in tow behind the plane if this wasn't properly rigged. The scary part of all this was that many of us were barely off student status ourselves when we were packing these for other students. Aren't you glad you didn't jump back then. Steve1