Beachbum

8/15 - 4 Way Scrambles Benefit at Skydive Houston

Well, nobody else has posted it yet, so I am ... !!! From the email sent out:

As everyone hopefully knows our beloved BrokeBack Dave was involved in a tandem accident last Saturday August 1, 2009. Skydive Houston will be hosting 4 Way Scrambles this Saturday to benefit BrokeBack Dave and his family. Our goal is raising over $5000.00 from this event. 4 Way Scrambles is an event that has a competition structure and is always a great time. Here is how it works:

4 Way Scrambles is OPEN to all USPA license holders.
Register at Skydive Houston before 8:15AM Saturday August 15, 2009. You can pre register by emailing [email protected]. Please also CC: Jerilyn Cordova at [email protected] Include your name, email address, USPA License #, years in sport and JUMP #’s. You can also register in person at manifest before the briefing on Saturday. By pre registration you will get the random 3 point rookie jump draw on Friday when the last jumper is down at SDH via email and be eligible for a free pair of Gatorz sunglasses.

8:20 AM, Skydive Houston will pull the random team draw. Each team will consist of one rookie jumper 0-150 jumps, one intermediate 150-600 jumps, one advanced 600-1500 and a open jumper with 1500 jumps and above. The team will then become a 4 way team for the day.

8:30 AM, each team will be given the random 4 way, three point rookie skydive draw from the National Skydiving League website. You will then have one hour to practice, pack, meet, greet and creep your skydives.

9:30 AM, WHEELS UP FOR SCAMBLERS!

The competition will consist of five skydives. Four of them will be 3 point random rookie style followed by the fifth round which is a speedstar.

The cost of the competition will be $22.00 a jump including video slot to 13500ft. $5.00 per jumps made that day will go into the BrokeBack Dave Fund. Each videographer that donates there time to the cause Skydive Houston will donate $100.00 into the fund and comp there slots.

At the beer light after the judge has posted the scores, we will award medals to the first, second and third place teams. We will also offer one medal to the most improved in the rookie class.

Dinner will be served at the beer light by Team Jager and will be complimented with two kegs of beer. We will only be collecting donations for dinner and all donations will be matched by Skydive Houston. Come on out and enjoy the FUN!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I also believe that the dinner to be served by Team Jager (as in the drink...Jager Bombs) is home-made enchilladas. I hope that our local Houston jumpers will help support Dave, as he has given so much to our dropzone over the years. Definately going to be a good time.
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

Hell, I'd even fly video if Simon did the scrambles on his head. I don't think there are any rules against it as long as the proper formations and grips are completed... :P

"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

As much as I'd love to turn the points on my head (see attached) the problem is that being vertical while doing 4 way only allows you to use two limbs for grips as opposed to four. So a lot of formation draws that require arm/leg grips or three limbs for grips to complete would leave me kind of screwed.

But I don't mind being on my belly at all. It's like taking a break and doing something extremely easy for a change :P

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Just a little recap of Saturday's scrambles. There were a total of 10 teams, with experience levels anywhere from just getting their A-license to 9,000+ jumps. Even though there was an aircraft problem and switch, all of the participants had a great time. Thanks to Ray and JL for making breakfast, Team Jager for making home-made enchilladas for dinner, San Marcos for letting us use their caravan on short notice, Henry for helping Todd judge, Skydive Houston/Todd and Kristi for hosting the event, and most importantly the participants.

And in case you were wondering how much money was raised for BB Dave, it was a little over double what we set out to get...totally awesome guys!! :)