Ruffles

Wind tunnel in Las Vegas

A newbie friend of mine and I were thinking that a trip to the wind tunnel (and Vegas for that matter) might be a good idea. I looked at the web site and the prices seem reasonable. Do you guys think that tunnel will help with the freefall skills? Someone told me it wasn't a good idea to go, as the tunnel can only produce 100 mph wind and you have to use a different body position to stay aloft. Anyone been there and have feedback?

I went to the tunnel in Vegas years ago but, because of the way it is constructed, you can't really fly in it the way you would in a normal skydive or at one of the more advanced wind tunnels.

It's ok as a kind of a goof if you happen to be there on business or for some other reason, but I certainly wouldn't schedule a trip there as an educational experience. For that, get yourself down to Orlando or wait a bit until the ones near Eloy and Perris are built.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

...you would in a normal skydive or at one of the more advanced wind tunnels.

So, you're saying that the one in Orlando is better, now if it is (or any other) how much wind tunnel time, in your opinion, will somewhat assure that you 'have skills' or perfected the ones you currently have?

If given the choice I'd take the Florida tunnel over Vegas. But if i happened to be in Sin City, I'd certainly go play in tunnel there.
I've been in both tunnels and even the Vegas tunnel offers some benefit to developing skills. The arch is a little modified compared to what you can do in Florida. You have to where a big ballon suit in Vegas and the tunnel is hotter than hell. If ou are there by all means go and play.
JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Groundbreaking for the tunnel in Perris will be in April. Will likely take about four months to build it.

I'm starting to save up now for my beer tunnel time come next August!

Wow, I didn't think it was going to happen that quickly! I can't wait to try it out.

...you would in a normal skydive or at one of the more advanced wind tunnels.

So, you're saying that the one in Orlando is better, now if it is (or any other) how much wind tunnel time, in your opinion, will somewhat assure that you 'have skills' or perfected the ones you currently have?

well, IMO, you never, ever are perfect, so you can never get enough time. Seriously, The world's best skydivers spend time in there working on their skills constantly. You're never at a status where you can't learn something....

My wife and I have been to both tunnels (and Pigeon Forge) Orlando is by far the best.
The wind is superior and I have nothing but the highest praise for the coaching at Orlando. Orlando is the benchmark.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

[reply
well, IMO, you never, ever are perfect, so you can never get enough time. Seriously, The world's best skydivers spend time in there working on their skills constantly. You're never at a status where you can't learn something....

I totally agree with you, but my question was aiming to if you have some kind of skills (in my case I'm still a student) and you want to get, say, more stable, better your turns etc, what amount of tunnel time in your opinion, would make what I mentioned above to happen? (10 mins? 15 mins? 20 mins?), just an idea.

I was in the tunnel for 40 min total time (my wife and I bought 1 hour together). It seemed a bit much for one morning, as I was surprised how quickly I became fatigued. I should have given her the last 10. Next time I'll do 20 min, once in the morning and once in the afternoon or spread it out over 2 days. Remember now I'm over 50... you young punks may be able to hang...maybe.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

... you young punks may be able to hang...maybe.

You are half-right, I'm not that young, but I'm still a PUNK :P
So tell me, did you improve your skills?, I'm asking you because I'll be heading there in a couple of weeks, I booked 40 mins (I spreaded them thru the weekend)

[reply

I totally agree with you, but my question was aiming to if you have some kind of skills (in my case I'm still a student) and you want to get, say, more stable, better your turns etc, what amount of tunnel time in your opinion, would make what I mentioned above to happen? (10 mins? 15 mins? 20 mins?), just an idea.

That all depends on how fast you learn. Are you athletic, have you played soccer, rollerblades, ski, snowboard, iceskate, hacky, etc. those all promote leg awareness, which is on of the keys in learning to fly. Are you going to get coaching, of just have at it? Coaching, while it costs more $$ initially, over the long run will make you better faster. 40 minutes spread out over a weekend isn't to bad. I've done 5 hours (yup of flight) over a weekend, that was painful. (I got to do 30 minutes last night of 4way, fun!)

If you need the names of any coaches let me know.

That all depends on how fast you learn. Are you athletic, have you played soccer, rollerblades, ski, snowboard, iceskate, hacky, etc. those all promote leg awareness, which is on of the keys in learning to fly. Are you going to get coaching, of just have at it? Coaching, while it costs more $$ initially, over the long run will make you better faster. 40 minutes spread out over a weekend isn't to bad. I've done 5 hours (yup of flight) over a weekend, that was painful. (I got to do 30 minutes last night of 4way, fun!)

If you need the names of any coaches let me know.

I'm a fast learner, that's for sure, athletic? not really, I bike a lot (or at least I used to) and played basketball. Yes, I got it with coaching, because I know I have a lot to learn and I like to learn.
sure, if you know some names, let me know, I'll appreciate that :)

I actually was able to work on a daffy head down in Orlando, but it's really hard to do a normal sit-fly. RW and camera suit was the bomb for getting everything worked out!
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.