blondebombshell

Returning to UK, best DZ near London?

Im returning to south london in a couple of weeks after 5mnths in New Zealand. Apart from a tandem at headcorn ive never jumped in the UK. Ive read very mixed reviews of a couple of DZ's near london. I just want to jump somewhere that is as friendly and welcoming as Mercer as i dont know any other jumpers in the UK. I dont mind travelling ( within reason ) to find the right DZ. Any opinions & advice gratefully received!

You aint going to find any DZ as cool as Mercer anywhere close to London.
I hear Sarah is coming back soon, sure she will introduce you around.
You will find Langar a pretty cool dropzone in comparison to Mercer.... Good altitude and good parties but it aint like the freedom of living at mercer.
Take it easy.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

hey philippa (i probably spelt that wrong, i never got the hang of it when i was manifesting you hehe)...

i'm back at home now as well and will probably be going to headcorn on saturday if you want to join me (i'll probably leave early cos of the football but i need a repack next week, so i have to go this weekend really...)

if i remember you were a bit anti headcorn, but it's your nearest DZ and personally i like it there :)
Jill x

yeh, i got bored of not jumping so made mike take me for a tandem up in the bay of islands a couple of weeks after i was off crutches and then i was travelling around NZ so wanted to jump at places like motueka, fox and gy, so i did :)

i'm going to uni in september and my placement is in Lichfield, so i'm going to be about half way between hinton and langar, so i'll probably give it a go at some point :)
(it's funny cos philippa is going to think she has loads of useful posts and it's just us talking rubbish hehe)

Hi Jill, you cheeky mare! Really good to hear that you're jumping again honey. Thanks for that, i 'll be back on 6th july so be great to see you sometime after that.
I'm not "anti headcorn " by the way, like i said ive only been there once for a tandem. I just heard a lot of conflicting stories from other jumpers about the place & was fishing around for further opinion. See you soon. xx

if i'd read the post i would have seen that you're not back for a couple of weeks, oh well since when do i pay attention hehe...

i'm guessing the visa situation didn't work out in the end, oh well looks like you're stuck with us then hehe..

say hi to everyone for me if you see them again before you leave...

Langar is a bit of a treck from south london (3-4 hours?)

Closer is sibson (nr peterborough) that is a great freindly place and runs a dornier (much faster than a caravan).
Theres headcorn down in kent (never been)
Weston nr oxford (run a dornier), but only open weekends.
Hinton, nr banbury, runs a PAC, but Can get pretty chocca with tandems in the summer (that has been my experience)
And if you're willing to go as far as langar, why not spend an extra hour going up to hibaldstow? great DZ, fast planes (they own the dorniers and SMGs), cheapest prices of any DZ Ive been to in the UK (£18/15000k) and always go to 15k.
I have no experience of UK Parachuting which is probably as close as sibson, but they have a nomad.
From what Ive heard, dont go to chattaris unless you like watching tandems all day.
London parachute school is just a piston operation in a field, with no buildings. Again, lots of tandems.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Hi there, if you want to meet some fellow London jumpers join the mailing group in my signature below, we have a monthly social drinks night in town which is a nice opportunity to get to know some faces you'll see at the dz's.

There are currently over 180 people on the list, and we jump at about 6 or so dz's around London, so I'm sure you'll find people with things to say about each DZ, good and bad experiences!

Caz :)

~~~ London Skydivers ~~~

Heya,

www.skydiveweston.com

Easy to get to, straight up the M40 and off at Junction 9, follow the signs to Weston-on-the-Green.

There are quite a few people in London that jump at Weston and may be able to give you a lift there, otherwise you can get a Bus to Oxford or a train to Bicester, then it's just a short cab ride.

Maybe see you soon :-)

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

I have just returned to chilly old NZ after a mad tracking weekend at Weston last week

Man it was good to get some sun on my back.

I cant believe I am talking about London and sun in the same breath.

But in all honesty everyone was great, had the Caravan and Skyvan burning all weekend. I know they were both brought in, but everytime an extra aircraft is needed, they seem to be there.

I cant talk about any other DZ's in the London area, but for a 70 min train trip from Marleybone, you cant go wrong.

Anyway back to knocking the ice of my car in the morning. [:/]