Zeppo

World Free Fall Convention

I just heard about this convention taking place in July. I'm still a student, so I don't really know how much jumping I'll be able to do there. I think I'd be a little intimidated by having a number of other jumpers in the air with me.

Would I be able to continue my free fall training at the convention at my current level?

What other types of activities, booths vendors are there that could be of interest to a beginner?

If I'm going to go, it's something I need to plan for early...for both saving cash, and time off work.

Any insights into the con would be great.

Thanks much.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

Hey Zeppo! Dennis Jensen is running the AFF concession at the WFFC this again this year. He is assembling a great group of instructors from all over the place to help.
Go to www.freefall.com for more information, and watch the website as it continues to be updated.
One of the coolest things about the Convention is the shear number of really terrific people who are willing to share their experiences with you.
There are free seminars EVERY night and there are free load organizers who are there just to help you work on your skill level, and to help you be comfortable with the WFFC. There are several times a day when the skies will not be any more crowded than your local dz's, and you will have LOTS of landing areas, many many times the amount of local dz's.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Hey Zeppo,

Here's what I did last year. Having only 45 jumps or so I was a little nervous about being in the air at an event of that size, but I didn't want to miss it. I contacted the staff and volunteered to help out in what ever way they needed. There are so many ways you can participate without jumping.

I showed up a day before the event kicked off and had the chance to help in the final set up. In the course of a couple days I was moved into several gaps, they put me where ever they needed me at that moment.

It was a blast. I didn't make a single jump, but met several people, camped out on the field and reached a point where this year, with a few more jumps, I feel comfortable going back as a jumper.

It's an option. Worst case scenario, you'll be in attendance at one of the coolest skydiving events of the year and you'll make a couple new friends.

Cheers,

Mo

The WFFC is a very good place to buy gear at cheap prices if you wait until the last few days when all the vendors are wanting to get rid of what they brought with them instead of taking it back with them. My friend bought a new container there at the auction for $600. This is a good oppertunity for someone who needs a complete set of gear (if you have the money). It is also a good oppertunity to learn more about the sport and see different diciplines, and see some things that you won't see happen anywheres else.

they need to update the vendor list as there aren't many vendors on there right now (e.g. no canopy or container manufacturers yet - if you're looking for gear from manufacturers).

From what I've understood, not many manufacturers have committed to go. Maybe that list is updated. :|

I agree with what Meux said. There is a lot of things to do at the conv besides jumping. I have been there the last 14 years in a row and one year didn't make even one jump because i was recovering from back surgery. I still had a blast. It's the only time i get to see many people i have met from different countries and old friends from the states. And if your able to stay for the whole 10 days, at the end you can even buy T-Shirts for 2 bucks a piece.

The vibe is great and one year i even jumped with Spence, but he doesn't know it because he doesn't know who i am by my screen name. He hates me online, but is very friendly and likeable in person.:)

Hey Zeppo! The WFFC has HUGE landing areas and lots of safe places to land. Don't believe the myths you hear about it being more dangerous for low-time jumpers. All DZ's are dangerous; this is a dangerous sport. You minimize the risks for yourself by paying attention and by making and following good plans, wherever you are.

If you have the time, you should come to Rantoul a week early and get to know the staff and the local jumpers by volunteering to help out with the set up. The local DZ is now only 5 miles from Rantoul, so you could also do a bunch of jumps with us BEFORE The Convention begins and get to know the skies over Rantoul ahead of time;)

The best thing about the WFFC is that it is a giant REUNION. As you spend more time in the sport, you'll realize that Skydiving is a social sport. Those of us who attend WFFC for the social aspects ALWAYS have a great time, even when we end up doing fewer jumps than we planned.:P

Hey Zeppo! The WFFC has HUGE landing areas and lots of safe places to land. Don't believe the myths you hear about it being more dangerous for low-time jumpers. All DZ's are dangerous; this is a dangerous sport. You minimize the risks for yourself by paying attention and by making and following good plans, wherever you are.

Zeppo -
Just to go further with this, pick you landing areas. There are many places to land. If you have to walk a bit to get back, big deal. The 'Main' landing area can get a little tight at times depending on how many people just 'have' to land there. Take the first day there and just keep an eye to the sky. If you think there are too many in the sky for your comfort level, have a seat. There's still other things to do and the planes will still be there later.
------
Michael

Also you might consider landing in the spectator landing area. In my opinion it is very underused (because of the walk back) and the local kids just love it when you land there.

Just take some extra pull up cords and stash them in your jumpsuit to pass out to the kids, they love that.

The old spectator area at Quincy was a little small and tight and i even heard rumors that they wanted to to have at least 500 jumps to land there unless there was no choice, but at Rantoul it's huge.

I'm glad that some of you do hang out and spread your special infectiousness in the spectator area. We had 15,000 people in one weekend a few years back because of the great time the spectators had had as the skydivers signed autographs and did pictures with them thru the ten days of the event.
Then there was that terrific Saturday night impromptu air show/ pond swoop/ special skydiver trick night, and the town was hooked! We've seen some additions to our sport because of your generousity of time.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I remember the first year the conv was held at Rantoul, this year i could'nt find any pull up cords that had the WFFC logo on them at the booths so i had to pass out just the ordinary colored ones. I made one landing and had all these kids running up to me as i went thru the gate, and i passed out all the cords i had. Then just as i was leaving, this man came up with a very little girl in a wheelchair. She had seen me pass the cords out and asked if she could have one.

I have a brother who was born handicapped, so i have a special place in my heart for them, i even got it fixed up so that my brother could do a tandem at a boogie in Dave's King Air 200 and Dave was nice enough to give us a second pass after everyone got out at 14,000 feet so we could get my brothers legs situated in the door.
He wound up getting 16,500 feet of altitude which also earned Dave a case of his favorite brew.

Anyway, when this little girl asked for a cord, and i had already passed out my last one, i did'nt know what to do, but knew i had to do something. So i unzipped my jumpsuit and took off my new conv T-Shirt and signed it with my screen name and my license number and gave her my goggles.

The look on her face was well worth the entire price it cost me to attend that year, and her father was very polite about it.:)
I'm a asshole, but i also have a soft heart for kids and especially handicapped ones.

Anyway, when this little girl asked for a cord, and i had already passed out my last one, i did'nt know what to do, but knew i had to do something. So i unzipped my jumpsuit and took off my new conv T-Shirt and signed it with my screen name and my license number and gave her my goggles.

The look on her face was well worth the entire price it cost me to attend that year, and her father was very polite about it.:)

we knew the monkey man aint no asshole
you bro are another of the GOOD GUYS

I'm a asshole, but i also have a soft heart for kids and especially handicapped ones.

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com