samp76

USPA License changes??

Check out this from the July BOD meeting:

http://www.uspa.org/CurrentMembers/SafetyTraining/STNews080102.doc

USPA Licenses will be aligned with the FAI requirements effective September 30, 2003. The jump number requirements will be the following:
q 25 for a USPA A License
q 50 for a USPA B License
q 200 for a USPA C License
q 500 for a USPA D License

Appropriate changes will also be incorporated into the competition and rating systems to allow for similar jump number requirements that already exist in order to obtain ratings or enter competition. Those who have obtained a license prior to September 30, 2003 will not be required to meet any additional jump numbers if they are below the FAI minimum when they receive their USPA License.

You can also find the same info in December:

http://www.uspa.org/CurrentMembers/SafetyTraining/STNews122702.DOC

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

have been out of the country for awhile and wondered about this. So until Sept it is still 200 jumps( plus requirements) to get your D ?

yes, until september. so if your close, or just starting this year, try to get 200 jumps by that date.

also, that s&ta at my dz thinks the instructer ratings will go to C licence. so it will still be 200 jumps. i don't know all the detail, and it is just speculation, so don't ask me, because i don't know ;)

later

That would make no sense... The USPA is alligning it's licenses with the FAI, just as we (The Netherlands) have done 2 years back.

As far as I can see, after the change the US license would mean the same as the Dutch license.

Our operation somewhat looked the same, our previous "D" is now also a "C".

Also everyone who had a "D" license and didn't have the full reguirements for a new "D", got an "C" license. Our instructors still require a new "D". (our instructors are also ST&A)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Those who have obtained a license prior to September 30, 2003 will not be required to meet any additional jump numbers if they are below the FAI minimum when they receive their USPA License.

So a "D" license obtained on Sept. 30, 2003 is the old requirement and a "D" license obtained October 1, 2003 is the new requirement.

Wouldn't this then be very unequal for determining a persons skill level by license alone?

Probably best to go by the jumpers actual demonstrated skill on a jump! Which is what has been done for years.

Probably best to go by the jumpers actual demonstrated skill on a jump!

I agree 100%. A situation that happened at the Christmas boogie in Eloy: Skydivers were told that to make the midnight jump on New Year's, one must have a D license and made at least 2 night jumps that year. I had my C license, but had made 6 night jumps that year. Now, only having only had 125 jumps at the time, it might not have been the best idea to make a night jump there anyway, but ...

Take two skydivers. The first one has 125 jumps and six night jumps in the last 12 months. The second skydiver has 200 jumps total and two night jumps in the last 12 months. Who is more qualified? They are both pretty new, but is the second jumper that much more qualified for a night jump just because he/she has a D license?

Now I'm in a position where I'm going to have my D license before September (barring some major unforeseen incident) and I will be more qualified to do things based on a D license than someone with 400 jumps that has no D license.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Here in South Africa we are also aligning to the FAI standard. Our "D" has been 300 dives for the last 10 years.

Our licences are also disipline specific - so you may hold a D in FS, but that doesn't make you a freefly expert.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I agree 100%. A situation that happened at the Christmas boogie in Eloy: Skydivers were told that to make the midnight jump on New Year's, one must have a D license and made at least 2 night jumps that year. I had my C license, but had made 6 night jumps that year. Now, only having only had 125 jumps at the time, it might not have been the best idea to make a night jump there anyway, but ...

I am surprised Eloy did not have that at 500 jumps. That was the darkest jump I have ever been on. You could not see much farther than 4-5 ft away except for the glow stick which is hard to judge distance by. The landing area was sparsely lit and the DC3 is not the best aircraft for getting a great spot (I was happy I opened at 5,000 ft.) I even borrowed a rig so I was jumping a nice conservative Stiletto 120 instead of my normal main. Damn dark is all I can say, although I did put it dead center in the peas :S

As for 200 and 2 night jumps and 125 and 6 night jumps I would say the 200 might be just a bit better off. Having a lot of night jumps does not really change anything, especially if they were all with full moons instead of the no moon we had that night. The 200 has an extra 75 canopy descents, which is an extra 60% of the 125's current total jumps.

Thats just my opinion, but I would still lean toward having significantly more canopy descents than having a couple more night jumps.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I