base570

CSS anyone 2??

ok, first BEAR. I feel and sound like an idiot as I laughed for like 5 minutes at the Russian. I loVE you YeV but you're so funny and Marion for making be laugh again!!! Every 4th Yev is one to count on for a laugh or two. Last year it was "We need something funny for the video Yev" (videoing an amazing pack job that Yev was doing) "doesn't look good" But bringing bear. Last year didn't the Russians cook Deer stew???

second: As I read Darins comments it to occured to me that MARION really was the person behind the scenes at setting things up last year!!! Wanna give her props and that we have to accept that Paul and Nancy aren't skydivers and therefore don't really do anything for them unlike other dropzones were the owners are usually involved. So at our dropzone, if something is organized, it is the skydivers that organize it.

Third: Ya'll can stop begging. I know we don't have a band this year but I'll be happy to sing. You know that!!!!! Miala hee Miala Ho Miala Ha. Yes I can sing in Romanian as well as english. So problem solved with the band. But I can also bring a spread. If everyone brings one thing to eat than we could probably throw a spread like the Cat and Sparky send off. By the way, Darin was it you that was saying that they are suppose to be coming down???

Aight ya'll, count me in for bringing stuff. What do you think about the Pot luck as well for meat we could still grill some hamburgers hot dogs or something as well as the bear.

Oh and let me know about the singing so I can pick a coulple songs out and practice.

I'll be there Saturday and don't have to work until Sunday afternoon like 4.

Casey:ph34r:
--------------TaiL FocKeR OuT-----------------

Ok my buddy Will is going to try to get about 100$ in fireworks for the 4th. I'll buy a new slip and slide for us and of course bring beer. Also are there any food items that I can get for the cookout.

FYI I won't be there till sunday morning or saturday night depending.

Casey I don't know anything about Cat and Sparky

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

... we could still grill some hamburgers hot dogs or something as well as the bear.

I thought the bear was going to juggle or ride a unicycle. I guess it could serve double duty as dinner too.

A pot luck sounds great. How about Tuesday? For some reason earlier I was thinking Monday was the fourth.

Doesn't matter to me. Sorry just read the post. Umm......will there be more people there on Saturday or Tuesday????

Sorry, I didn't know that Yev could get a live bear. Let's be Humane and let it join us for dinner, not become dinner

Dude I leave that DZ and all we get is a bunch of cry babies....... I sure Remember the old days , Cookouts every weekend , Dinner at Marion's trailer, Freefly fridays with just 5 of us and we never bitch or complaint about anything we were just so happy to be there and hang out with friends....... ahhhhhh the old days

it to occured to me that MARION really was the person behind the scenes at setting things up last year!!!

Yeah, I'm just chopped liver. Karen & I did no planning, Stuart and Randy did no cooking, Eric did no video or recruiting. Man, Marion, How much did you pay her? :P

I'll be happy to sing.

Oh, marion, honey, you SHOULD have given her more money than you did! Now we're gonna have to pay her off to stop the noise. ;)

Seriously, TF'er, thanks for rousing the troops with an email!!

I vote for Saturday.

we have to accept that Paul and Nancy aren't skydivers and therefore don't really do anything for them unlike other dropzones were the owners are usually involved. So at our dropzone, if something is organized, it is the skydivers that organize it.

OK, have to respond to this seperately. And no, this is not to defend any person, persons or practices at CSS, nor is it a critique, complaint or endorsement of any social functions at CSS

Where is there a DZO who really does social stuff for the skydivers? Especially in the summer months when they are working 12-14 hour days?

DZO = Drop Zone Operator. Pretty much everywhere I've been to jump, the skydivers make the DZ what they want it to be. At Chester - James, Sean, & the RB's do the work. At Sebastian, they have a "clan" that plans parties and events. At XKeys, the jumpers and freefly school do a lot. At Raeford - oh, you just go to the bar. (They don't really even DO anything on the that's organized on the DZ.) At West Point, it's like a club, so it is much more social, but still the jumpers do it. At Perris - same as Raeford, go to the bar. Elsinore - Rosa plans almost everything social, including some smashing fund-raising events for charities.

There used to be a DZ in Wallace where the DZO did plan a big dinner every Saturday. It was great! Beer, food for the grill, sides, a cake for whoever had a B-Day; he and his wife even cooked and did the beer run, supplied ice and a big drink cooler. The problem? It got too social, the jumping day was run too slowly, it got hard to make the jumps you wanted to make during the day, so the skydivers left. It closed.

Someone has to run the place so the rest of us can play.

Hell, when I started jumping there were cookouts every Wed and Sat at CSS without fail, with a fire and a party that went well into darkness and involved cooler stealings, safety meetings and sometimes *gasp* partial nudity! Explosives had to be explicitly banned. The entire social make-up of jumpers has changed in the past many years. We have to work harder and longer to pay for our jumping, we have to take care of the kids, we have work-related reputations we must keep clean, we have to get some rest bacause of the first three items listed (and a bazillion others).

Just wait - you'll hear your exact words 10 years from now from someone who is 2-3 years into the sport wondering why it isn't like it used to be.

Carpe DZ.

:)

Alas, there is dancing involved in the Milkshake routine, so you may want to bring a blindfold too.

That was a really good post (the one above the earplugs post... although that one contains very good advice too).

A year or so ago, we had a regular group of people every Friday for jumping/dinner/party. Sometimes Friday was rescheduled for Wednesday based on the forecast. :D Work schedules changed, aircraft availability during the week changed, people moved, and the weekday socializing started happening off the dz. Weekends are fun, but since dinner is often off the dz, a lot of people (myself included) go home afterward, since it's usually pretty late by then. There's still fun stuff going on, necessitating the (re)banning of explosives and a few rules about what should/should not be used in the fire (couches and motorcycles come to mind, both in the "should not" category). There's pretty regularly who-knows-what stewing in a barrel behind the trailers, and a fire to enjoy it around.

It seems like a lot of the people who started jumping in the last couple of years miss the way it was when they were students. It was that way back then because some of us wanted to get back to the night time socializing that we remembered. Like Pam said, this stuff goes in cycles. I think it's easy for us to take stuff for granted and not really notice little changes along the way until it seems like all of a sudden stuff is different.

There is some stuff we talk about that we probably can't do, like digging a pond overnight and inhabiting it with an endangered species of beaver to both increase the size of the pond and prevent anyone from filling it in. (If anyone tries that, and it actually works, please credit Eric Miller for his devious plan.) There's plenty of fun stuff we can do, though, like calling all our friends and asking them to bring some food to share on an average Saturday night. A lot of that already goes on.

For now, let's plan this weekend. :)
[edited to give credit where credit is due for the endangered beaver/swoop pond plot]

Actually, the plan for the beavers didn't involve any digging. You should've seen the size of the pond that formed over the hill next to the runway after the tropical storm blew through a few weeks ago! There were probably about 2 acers of land underwater. Lyman and I were discussing ways to slow the draining and I figured that the perfect solution would be to relocate a family of endangered beavers to dam up the existing pond and have babies, thus protecting our pond from the evil forces that don't want to see a pond at CSS.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Ah, Beaver Swooper
Would this make him Eric B. S. Miller?
Here in the south a lot of people go by middle names or just initials so his good buddies will just call him BS.

I'm off Saturday afternoon so I'll drag Stuart up there ... maybe even get him to jump. I don't eat bear so we'll bring something else to share with the group.

karen

Yeah, I'm just chopped liver. Karen & I did no planning, Stuart and Randy did no cooking, Eric did no video or recruiting. Man, Marion, How much did you pay her? :P

Hold up, hold up......My bad. I am sooooo sorry. Look I don't really remember what happened to me yesterday so recaping a year ago is very hard. But you're right Everyone listed above was totally behind it with the jump for the cause going on and the breakfast, the load organizing, Randy surviving a near death experience when his pilot chute mysteriously was extracted. I seriously just remember Marion a little upset at one point last year b/c she was trying to organize the days festivities and get things rolling for the water activities and I don't like Marion upset and sad so that stuck in my mind. But ya'll are not chopped liver. I'm sorry. It was a group effort. And Thank you To EVERYONE who got together last year to make it one of the best boogies I've ever attended.

Jeez ya'll I guess that riser slap knocked a few things loose in my head and I forgot the rest of the great things that everyone did last year.

Casey:):)

Oh and don't worry you don't have to pay me....I sing for free ya'll. But I do except flowers for after the performance. But I WOULD pay to see Darin singing milk shake and dancing. HMmmmmmm maybe as entertainment we should do a Karoke them or a talent contest. Wish we would have planned this earlier........If not this boogie then next at least.

Casey'

but I still want to see the milk shake song and dance from Darin

I might be able to arrange that if you have the lyrics :P and the money of course

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

So yeah. I'm confused though. Are we still doing or not doing Pot Luck on Saturday????? I'm bringing something, you can eat it if you want and I want to see Darin shake his money maker to Milk shake.

Darin.....do you take change?????

Casey

Depends how much change but don't expect me to give bills back :)

B| Pot luck cookout on Saturday B|

Dawn is bringing grills, so you can bring a side dish, dessert, or something to grill.

I think the plan is to also do something on the fourth (Tuesday). Darin's bringing fireworks. If everybody who wants dinner chips in a few dollars, I'd be glad to make a grocery store run on Tuesday afternoon to get burgers for the grill. (If you want to bring something Tuesday night, that's cool too.)

Edited to add that Eric/SkyWhore/B.S. will be bringing :D since he just put his FIRST jump on his shiny new JVX!
"How was it?"
"Fast"
:D

Wow - where IS everybody???

Thanks, everyone, for all the food and contributions and helpings-out and jumps and stuff at the, um, boogie last Saturday.

Geez, I hope everyone's getting rested and recovering from the busy holiday.

Is the Friday night game still on for the Bulls?