Andrewnewell

The worst boogie you've been to and why!

the worse boogie you can go to is the one where you don't find what you came for...
I always find what I want in Empuria
Didn't find one of the things I came for in Vichy, but some other points compensated
Hellaherb boogie rocks
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A DZ I used to jump at drove me nuts with a boogie. I was there to jump. It was a nice summer saturday and I was happy doing soloes or whatever (I probably had 50 jumps or so). Showed up at the DZ, had to get my gear inspected, fill out a new waiver, pay a registration fee ($25) when I knew I wasn't gonna be staying late, and buy new jump tickets even though i had a few regular ones with me. I didn't participate in any organized jumps (they were too big for me), didn't get the free freefly coaching (wasn't interested), and didn't drink or eat anything. I was pretty pissed my home DZ wouldn't cut me any slack on the registration fee or jump tickets. And other than an RW organizer (a local) and a freefly coach, there was nothing special about the day.

Dave

and by the way how was the Lillo Xmas boogie ?? Hope it ran well, also hope the weather was good, despite the fact I love the Empuria boogie so much, and I can't imagine myself going in another European boogie at that time. All my friends are there, and they are like family to me.
To be constructive, the negative points of the EB boogie this year:
-high registration fee
-worse wind conditions ever for the boogie (can't blame anyone)
-not much FF organising (lotsa coaching though) but I wasn't concerned
-no "exotic planes" (like they used to have a turbolet) besides the incredible Ecureuil heli (and its incredible pilot and ground crew)

The positive points compensated this for me :
-organised jumps "for free" in RW, FF, wingsuit with Loic and Cathy
-not much waiting time with 3 otters and 2 porters flying when needed
-incredible daily videos, thanks Gael for the editing, Tim and all other videopeople for the footage.
-the ecureuil which was a show on its own at each take off and landing
-the tombola with a complete rig (jav odyssey, sabre2 and PD-R) as a 1st prize which a good friend of mine won and many other prizes
-Empuria nights, with my Empuria family

The Lillo Xmas boogie also suffered from High winds at times but the weather was pretty good for most of it (eventhough it was cold as hell).

We had Nimmo from Babylon (Empurias own) who did a outstanding job organizing the freeflying and educating the masses. We also had Andy Guler who did a great job in organizing some of the larger flat stuff.

I was a little pissed at some of the stuff that went down but as this was Lillos first attempt at organising a large event Ill cut them some slack, hopefully they've learnt some serious lessons for next time.

Boogies are a strange thing. They can be badly organized but if you have a good group of people who are up for good jumps and a good time in the evenings then thats all that matters.

The Lillo Xmas boogie also suffered from High winds at times but the weather was pretty good for most of it (eventhough it was cold as hell).

We had Nimmo from Babylon (Empurias own) who did a outstanding job organizing the freeflying and educating the masses. We also had Andy Guler who did a great job in organizing some of the larger flat stuff.

I was a little pissed at some of the stuff that went down but as this was Lillos first attempt at organising a large event Ill cut them some slack, hopefully they've learnt some serious lessons for next time.

Boogies are a strange thing. They can be badly organized but if you have a good group of people who are up for good jumps and a good time in the evenings then thats all that matters.

weather, weather... Some people posted so much sh*t about empuria's xmas weather that the karma hit them back in the face:P

Nimmo rocks. Nothing more to be added about him.:)
First big event ?? Not everything can go perfectly... There were certainly many good things, and a couple of bad/less good things to learn from.

Boogies are a strange thing indeed. The people attending make it a good boogie or a bad boogie at the end. If people just expect to get good jumps, or good parties or good anything it won't work. They must also give and participate and be the soul of the event.

Let's be a little negative. :S

The BEST Boogie I ever went to was in Bali. Everything from Hotels food scenery vibes aircraft organization was better than first class:)
On the negative side: the damn Island was surrounded by water:S Our first class beach front hotels could have been wiped out by a tsunami., and the tropics are hot>:(

Would I go again? In a minute:)
R.I.P.

Was that Bali 1989???........I enjoyed that one to the max.....

Think so... the first one with the welcome party the going away party, The DZ at the international airport.

The xit order on the c-130 was set for The beach jumps in front of your hotel at the end of the day.

Damn beach jumps ever notice every one of them was next to water. The navy ship and zodiaks was nice but I wasn't letting go of my rubber ducky.

Talking about water the runway was on the thinnist part of the Island They had to add fill to make the runway long enough for the big jets:(... Did I say I hate water:S.

Jump run was right down the runway we'd go out in groups look down Damn we're over water:( Look up and the 130's spitting out more people even further out over the swamp or whatever it was.(water!!!)

Not a good place to open low if your getting out at the end of the pass. Don't think anyone landed in the water :)
Didn't go to the second Bali boogie figured out once a island always a Island......and water:S

R.I.P.

Hey brother,

what goes down? Yeah things are getting ugly here! But hey, it was on the cards!

I now know what Linford Christi feels like!

Hey heres an idea, how about you reply to fedykins question on Events and places to jump? Im sure you could shed some light about whats been going on! Hehehehe.

Remember, "Just say no!"

I guess I have been mostly lucky - Eloy 03, Espace 04 and the Algarve Xmas boogie 04 were all awesome! Especially Espace but I guess it is just such a different scene from the Algarve Boogie that you can't really compare. Both excellent anyway B|

The Czech boogie 04 on the other hand... I will only say that I feel sorry for the people who had it as their first boogie and think that that is how it is supposed to be... and no - I won't be going next year! :|

Boogies rock. :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Interesting question - one I haven't given much thought to until now. I've been to a lot of DZs. I've attended a few boogies outside of the ones at my own DZ. I always enjoy visiting other DZs, but I've never really enjoyed boogies outside the ones at my own DZ.

I have two main reasons:

1) atmosphere
2) safety

On the atmosphere side - it seems to me that boogies invite clashes of the "Titan Egos." That is - too many skygods trying to out skygod each other.

On the safety side - it seems like too many people want to cut loose from the rules they have to follow at their own DZs. Combine that with a huge mix of experience levels and an unfamiliar LZ, and the injury/fatality rates go up. Compound fractures, etc., are a real downer, even if they aren't my own.

I think I like the boogies at my own DZ more than the others because its easier to avoid the clashing skygods and folks attempting stupid stunts. For example, if we've got a 16way plus video going up in an Otter along with a tandem or two, there's no one left to screw up the landing pattern, etc., on our load.

Will I attend boogies outside of my DZ in the future? Probably. Boogies are great places to meet up with old friends and jump specialty aircraft. But I'll cool my jets after a few days so as to avoid tired/hung-over, etc. jumpers.

JAKAL

The worst boogie I've ever been to was a small weekend boogie this summer. It was a one-plane boogie, and they grossly underestimated the number of jumpers who would be attending. Thus, we had to wait for a long time for each load. To top this off, halfway through the day they realized people were double manifesting and announced that this was no longer allowed. However, several people were able to get around this rule by manifesting under different group names so the manifest people wouldn't notice.

Also, the boogie was at a non-DZ airport (so no one knew the area well) with a tailgate plane that didn't have GPS spotting. Consequently, there were several bad spots.

Then on Sunday, the plane broke. Most of us just gave up and went home then.

For me, a good boogie can result from a combination of any of the following: good company(priority), good nightlife, cheap jumps, good jumping, safe jumping, lots of jumping, beautiful weather, interesting aircraft, good facilities and/or good alchohol and food. I haven't attended any boogies (other than the above-mentioned one) that I have not enjoyed!

It was in Feb 04. I won't say which one because it does seem to be a good DZ and I don't want to bash them. It wasn't their fault.......the weather was just horrible. Cloudy and raining most of the week and then was quite chilly and windy when the clouds left. :S There is a REDICULOUS amount of mud at that damn place. :D Most boogies I have been to have been good. Some are just better than others. Most of the time there are just things you need to know to make every boogie better. Things like where to stay, where's the party, what's the weather like. Most of the time a little info before going goes a LONG way.