jfields

WFFC Night Jumps?

Anyone know of any plan to have night jumps on the last weekend of the WFFC? Some of us are trying to knock out the final requirements for the D license at Rantoul, before the license changeover in Sept.

If anyone related to the convention sees this, could you pass along the suggestion? There would probably be enough people interested to put up at least a couple night loads.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I was looking at the night jump schedule at some DZs, only to see that night jumps were scheduled for the full moon, which fell during the convention. And that will be the last chance before the license switch.

Now I just have to get 58 jumps in the next two months. That isn't a lot for many people, but I've only gotten 142 total in the last 4 years.

Now I just have to get 58 jumps in the next two months. That isn't a lot for many people, but I've only gotten 142 total in the last 4 years.

personally I do not know your need for a D liscense if your you only do approxamately 30.5 jumps a year. are you planning on skydiving more and possibly going to start coaching or what?.... It is only a question; however, only making approx. 2 jumps a month in the last 4 years hardly suggests you are current.

:ph34r:Lip
blic, blic, caw,caw

:ph34r:Lip,

Somebody else asked me almost the exact same question by PM, so I'll just post the reply I made.

Perfectly valid question, and no offense taken.

I was sitting with my A license until this month. It took awhile to find a DZ offering the water training, then awhile to sort out the details and take the test. I just got my B & C.

The license is a piece of paper. I fully recognize that it is no guarantee of my posessing any substantial skills. I'm still conservative, both in freefall and under canopy. At 142 jumps, I'm still jumping the same Sabre 190 I bought at jump 17. I have no desire to downsize and I'll stay on the same canopy for a good while. My approaches are all traditional 3-leg patterns. I won't even contemplate hookturns. I just took a canopy control class to improve my safety and accuracy. Demo rating? Hell no!

RW is pretty much the same idea. Awhile back, I got a couple upjumpers to agree to a 3-way. As it sometimes happens, a couple more joined in, then more, then more. It got to big for my comfort level, and I bumped myself off the jump I'd initiated.

The main reason to get it is flexibility in the future. Hypothetical example, if I don't get the D and in three years I have 480 jumps and want to make a beach jump, I can't no matter what. It requires a D license. Whereas, if I have the D, and I (and the organizer) judge my skills to be appropriate, I can go. I won't go just because I have the D. I'd rather keep an honest assessment of my skills as the limiting factor, rather than the license. In all likelihood, my having a D will make no difference to what jumps I do until I have more than the revised requirement anyway, but I'd just like to keep the option open in case I start getting more jumps in and keeping better currency.

This make more sense?

Update on the Message Board:

How about skydiving in the dark?
The WFFC is considering doing night jumps during the event. Check in with us when you arrive!!!
Bring your strobes!!! (See your local Radio Shack if you don't have one - They used to carry them @ 20$)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Justin,
glad there was no offense taken as the question and statement were not meant to be of that nature. I was only curious. Be safe and like everyone else have a kick a$$ time, after all I am only a babe in the woods when it come to this sport. I have much to learn as well.
blic, blic, caw,caw

The main reason to get it is flexibility in the future. Hypothetical example, if I don't get the D and in
three years I have 480 jumps and want to make a beach jump, I can't no matter what. It requires a D
license

Beach jumps used to require only a "C"...Did this change?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The main reason to get it is flexibility in the future. Hypothetical example, if I don't get the D and in
three years I have 480 jumps and want to make a beach jump, I can't no matter what. It requires a D
license

Beach jumps used to require only a "C"...Did this change?

It varies and is up to the DZ in most cases... gold coast requires a C and water gear. it's not an extremely tight landing area but so tight i fyou land off you are either in the ocean or on a 2 lane highway.. or if you're really off on a military base :)