petetheladd

Dynamic Canopy stall

A group of us went up on a load to practice some canopy control techniques on a jump.

The initial plan was to stall out our canopys with toggles, collapse it and reinflate (at 5000 ft) - non eliptical canopys mind you.
Eliptcal people were supposed to rear riser stall - all seemed very tentative about even considering it.

I stalled out my canopy, it folded up, fell backwards and was whipped around to my left -bit of a wild ride, got canopy re-inflated.
Then practiced some flat turns and did a 1/2 brakes approach to flare.

Now, It seemed most everyone one else on the jump was too nervous to stall out their canopy.

When I was doing my student progression(static line), it was a required jump - and quite a hairy one.

Should people be required to stall out their canopy early in there jump careers?

Of course before they get a high performance eliptical.

No, Not without incident

>Should people be required to stall out their canopy early in there jump careers?

Required? I don't think so. I think a pseudo-stall (i.e. what most people consider a stall, a full-brakes sinking approach) is sufficient to teach people how to recover from that condition.

Recommended? Definitely.

I've rear riser stalled my canopy.

I haven't toggle stalled it, because I would have to take wraps to do that.

It is something you have to experience so that you know what to do.

I was stalling on rear risers so I would know how far to flare if I had to do a RR landing. I'm still working on doing it for real.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

It is something you have to experience so that you know what to do.

Unless you're jumping an elliptical canopy all you have to do to fix this is let up on the toggles. The canopy will most likely reinflate and you'll be on your merry way. If it doesn't, cutaway and use your reserve.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

>Unless you're jumping an elliptical canopy all you have to do to fix this is let up on the toggles.

Well . . . you have to let up gradually; letting the toggles all the way up after a stall may give you line twists or even slack lines. You do have to know how to do that.

Thats the sort of thing I was referring to. Exactly how to recover from a stall, letting the toggles/riser up just past the stall point to allow recovery with our the canopy surging forward and pounding you into the ground if you happen to stall it low.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Don't stall your canopy near the ground. ;)

Seriously, one of the reasons you want to practice stalling your canopy up top is to learn where the stall point is so that you won't stall it near the ground. You need to know this because one day you might find yourself flying your canopy just at the edge of a stall to sink it into a tight out.

After all that you should know that stalling your canopy up high is pretty fun too! Stall it, ride it for a thousand feet, and reinflate. It's a cheap thrill.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.