billvon

300 way day 4

DAY 4

Four attempts today, three actual jumps. Jumps 1-3 were pretty successful; we got between 250 and 278 in and docked on the formation. As always it's the last 10% that takes 90% of the effort, and it was the little things (goggles icing over, someone getting lost) that caused the problems. We had one guy simply get lost and dock in the base instead of in his wacker. Barbara Duke lost her helmet on one dive but managed to get to her slot and stay in it.

Jump four took off around 4pm and spent about 20 minutes circling at altitude trying to get the formation right. The combination of setting sun and iced-over windscreens caused a few planes to lose sight of the formation and drift away (which, of course, is better than the opposite.) We kept circling until someone got sick from the altitude/oxygen/cramped aircraft and George called it off. When we finally got back to the ground we had been in the air for 75 minutes, and I was in a lot of pain by the time we landed - with 23 big people in the G plane, and no one allowed in the copilot's seat, there is hno room to even move your feet.

Tomorrow is more of the same.

During one jump, I landed near Tony and we both spied a passing tourist's truck at the same time. Tony and I sprinted for it, and we (and two other people) hopped in. We had about a half mile drive back to the hangar, and the old couple in the truck were happy to drive us back.

About halfway back, a bunch of guys started running after the truck, waving at it. "Keep going!" we all yelled. "No room." The driver kept going. A few hundred yards later we passed Elena, a gorgeous Russian skydiver who got moved from the alpha team to the primary attempt. "Stop! Stop!" yelled Tony. "We gotta pick her up."

Steve Vargas later asked me why we didn't pick him up. "Oh, the driver thought you'd overload the truck," I told him.

The christmas decoration arms race has started. We have 13 tents for each of the teams inside the hangars, and after the first day wacker 8 went out and bought christmas lights for their tent. Not to be outdone, Julie and I bought lights for our tents (wacker 7 and the blue base sector respectively.) I got all blue lights, of course, and Julie spent an hour mixing a red and white set to get alternating red and white lights. Now there's this big arms race, with people buying all sorts of tacky christmas lights, icicles, trees, ornaments etc to outdo their neighbors.

And one thing that sorta got to me today. At the end of the day I was in pain, tired, and hungry, and I just wanted to get food and go back to the hotel. Instead had to sit there for half an hour, waiting for a sock puppet to complain about the poor audio system for her suprise performance. I think Lambchop is great and all, but maybe a performance _after_ we get the record would be a better idea.

Attached are some pictures of:
-lineup of otters
-the 300 way hangar
-inside, the first day
-wacker 4's decorations
-wacker 7 and 8's decorations

Billvon...

Thanks SO much for the updates, and first hand reports.:)Continued success. and may God , enter and energize
your aircraft formation,,,, around 15 grand,,, and ride with EACH of you,,, through jump run, exit,
completion of the formation (slot - perfect of course)
and on down to absolutely Safe and Gentle Landings... B|;)
Your 300 way will carry with it,, the best wishes of THIS skydiver,,:)fellow jumpers,,, who join you in spirit as you achieve this world record.;)
I shall look forward to your reports,, as they are sent out...

Barbara Duke lost her helmet on one dive but managed to get to her slot and stay in it.

Bill, tell Barbara she rocks B| Getting into her slot after losing her helmet. Wow

Thanks for the updates, it's like being there. Just wish I didn't have this damn boot on my ankle, or else I'd be there with you
Mary

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Barbara Duke lost her helmet on one dive but managed to get to her slot and stay in it.

Bill, tell Barbara she rocks B| Getting into her slot after losing her helmet. Wow

Thanks for the updates, it's like being there. Just wish I didn't have this damn boot on my ankle, or else I'd be there with you
Mary

How do the FAI rules treat "jettisoned" equipment in skydiving? In most aviation events it is disqualifying.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How do the FAI rules treat "jettisoned" equipment in skydiving? In most aviation events it is disqualifying.

It's "jettisoned" if it is intentionally discarded. I highly doubt this was the case. You can't compare LOSING a helmet in freefall to cutting away your main due to a malfunction.

Anyway, YOU GO GUYS!!! Let's see a 300-way today and progressively larger formations the rest of the week....AFTER recovery day, though. B|

arlo:ph34r:

Great work, Bill. Thanks a lot for the updates. Who's responsible for having Lamb Chop there? And what are they thinking? You spend all day falling from the sky and a sock puppet is supposed to be your entertainment? C'mon...

Hey, Lambchop does a great job. Mallory and Brad have done a great deal to bring skydiving some positive enlightenment to the general public. Not to mention the amount of money that Jump for the Cause events have given to charities.
I guess you had to grow up with Lamb Chop to understand how she pulls at the heart strings.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Out of line? Hell no. The average person wouldn't understand the connection and I don't really think the majority of skydivers do either. It was a legitimate question.

BTW, it's Lambchop. One word. Oh, and Lambchop can get down right nasty and rude after she's had a few drinks. As far as blending with skydivers, Lambchop fits like a glove. ;)

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's "jettisoned" if it is intentionally discarded. I highly doubt this was the case. You can't compare LOSING a helmet in freefall to cutting away your main due to a malfunction.

arlo:ph34r:

Well, I don't know the rules for skydiving, but in air racing if stuff falls off deliberately OR accidentally it's a DQ. OTOH, hot air balloons are allowed to discard ballast during record attempts.

Well, I don't know the rules for skydiving...

oh...THAT'S right..... you do 10-way. ;) Sorry, I couldn't resist. Oh wait, that's Carl's team. ;)

that's it. I'm going to hell for both those comments. :)

arlo

Hell for selective snipping? I think that's appropriate.

>You can't compare LOSING a helmet in freefall to cutting away
>your main due to a malfunction.

Several helmets/faceplates/goggles were intentionally dumped today due to freezing over after exit - being blind in a 300 way is more dangerous than a jettisoned helmet. Also, we've been averaging a cutaway every second jump, which is about a 1 in 620 mal rate - around average, I think.

Strange things happen on record attempts, see attached from Henny Wiggers' point of view.

I've got funny footage from the Brit100 record in 99, Derro T (name shortened to protect the well known owner of Sunpath) left the Let without fastening his chin strap, caught the thing just out the door, then flew down to his base slot. He had a side mount camera on, also POV cams in the base, the footage is funny.....
Not so funny, but worthy of mention nevertheless, we had at least two instances of open containers in the formation, again on video. Some seriously heads up jumpers spotted the potential situations, and prevented any drama.....

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

14-0010.jpeg