melodee

need help 1st jump nerves

Hello,

Well not much anyone can say that will take the pressure off the first jump! It is the greatest feeling you'll get. Its nothing like you expect it to be. No worries, you'll love it!!

Peace!!

Gravity powered...Air cooled!

Looking out the door will be the hardest part, but you aren't there long.... then just enjoy it! There isn't really any sensation of falling and freefall is very noisy (with the wind you know). If you have video, remember to smile:)
J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Hi, although I have read alot about skydiving I am getting pretty nervous about first tandem jump. I could use a little advice and description on what to expect. Jumping in Sebastian Florida.

My advise to you:

SHUT UP AND JUMP!!!!

You gonna love it. :P

Yeah, relax and smile. When you're in freefall, remember to breathe...very important. Try to keep your mouth closed (but still have a toothy grin) because that 120 mph wind during freefall can dry your throat out very quickly. Also, be sure to eat the day of your jump. I made the mistake of not eating much before my second tandem jump, and I felt really weak and sick on the canopy ride down. When my tandem master and I landed, I just sort of collapsed and lay in the grass for a few minutes.

So, yeah -- it's really noisy, really windy, like you're floating on a cushion of air, and a heck of a lot of fun. Enjoy!

-P
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Most all of us were really scared on our first one. It's important to realize that there won't be any falling sensation. It's more like you're floating on a cushion of air. Probably the hardest time is climbing to altitude. Once the door opens and it's time to go you'll be ready even though you're scared. After a hundred jumps or so it won't be scary anymore. My daughter made her first tandem a couple years ago. She loved it. Steve1

When you're in freefall, remember to breathe...very important.

I wouldn't agree with that- I think breathing in freefall is easier when you don't think about it (at least I never think about breathing when falling). After all, do you know any jumpers/tandem passengers who have blacked out because they forgot to breathe?

Even the most experienced jumpers get the jitters now and then. It's just your brain doing a reality check. The most dangerous thing you will do on the day you jump is to drive to the DZ. So stress out over the car ride and ENJOY the jump. It WILL edify your life beyond your wildest dreams!

Blue Skys
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Just remember, the tandem master is attached to you for good or ill, until you get back on the ground. So he (or she) is going to do everything in their power to make it a good, fun, and safe jump.

And don't forget to breathe. :)

The most dangerous thing you will do on the day you jump is to drive to the DZ.

The most dangerous thing you will do is jump out of an airplane attached to another person who has a parachute.

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

The most dangerous thing you will do is jump out of an airplane attached to another person who has a parachute.

Good, someone keeping it honest. It is a dangerous sport and us neophytes must never forget that.

That being said, everything possible to make it safe should be the priority of your tandem master and your only job is to listen to him/her and then relax and have fun.

You'll have a great time.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Yes indeed, but it's a TANDEM jump, so, jumping out of an airplane WITHOUT being attached to a person with a parachute, is just plain dumb. :P

I wouldn't agree with that- I think breathing in freefall is easier when you don't think about it (at least I never think about breathing when falling). After all, do you know any jumpers/tandem passengers who have blacked out because they forgot to breathe?

It's not about blacking out, but I'm sure it has happened before. Hypoxia, anyone?

Anyway, when I made my first tandem jump, I was experiencing some MAJOR sensory overload when we exited. I was looking down the whole time, and I realised about 5 seconds into freefall that I was holding my breath. I literally had to tell myself to breathe. Remembering to breathe and being aware of things helps you relax, which is key.

-P
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

It is very entertaining to sit at the dz and watch the terrified visitors putting on their tandem harness and only 30 minutes later they're BEGGING to go up again.

Just relax and remember the hardest part is the getting out of the door. They rest is smooth sailing.

After that, life won't be the same.
Jay

It's kinda like having sex and being in a train wreck........ALL AT THE SAME TIME........I'm married so I never have sex...........but I really dig train wrecks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have fun AND JUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

What to expect:

The time of your life.
A smile that you just can't get off your face.
That yes, you can fly.
That life will never be the same.
Incessant babbling about how much fun you had, to anyone who will listen.
That smile that you still can't get off your face :)

What to expect:

The time of your life.
A smile that you just can't get off your face.
That yes, you can fly.
That life will never be the same.
Incessant babbling about how much fun you had, to anyone who will listen.
That smile that you still can't get off your face :)

......and then everyone will get tired of hearing you talk about skydiving (because they think you're crazy for taking such a risk) and you will come to the forums so you can talk about skydiving all you want. We never get tired of listening;).

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

"There are 3 big things to remember when making any jump wheather its your first or 1,000th.

1.relax
2.have fun
3.smile "
----------------------------------------------

I kind of like to get a parachute open as well.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

you can take comfort in the fact that you are strapped to someone with a ton of experience who'll be responsible for your life from the point you step into the plane ... humm ! your life in someone elses hands, is that suppose to be a comforting thought ... oh ! well ! you do the same thing when you are in a plane, don't you. Just relax, enjoy yourself, these tandem guys are really good, so don't worry. Smile and go along. It's going to be a lot of fun. The anxiety and the fear is what adds to the fun and spices it up, so be happy that you are scared because you are then going to enjoy it that much more.