sinker

Building a rig one piece at a time

Hey folks... I've heard it or read it somewhere (Dany Poynter's book I think) that you should avoid buying a rig piecemeal, i.e. main, reserve, container, AAD all seperate, if you can. I assume this is due to potential incompatability b/t components. But is this the only reason? Out of necessity I will need to do this, buy a rig piece by piece. I know to be particularly careful about container sizes and making sure that both reserve and main fit in their respective homes as well as harness sizes for body size and all. I'm also paying attention to canopy sizes for my skill level and weight. Anything else I should be concerned with? Are there any brands of canopies that are known to not fly well w/ any particular brand of container?

mycole

-the artist formerly known as sinker

To do this successfully make a list of what you want to have and stick with it. If you buy a container for a Sabre2 190 and end up buying a Stilleto 150, you will have problems. Other then that, when purchasing gear, let the people know what you're doing and they'll work with you to get it done.

Generally speaking, most modern gear out there will work with each other, as long as everything is sized correctly (right size container for the reserve and main you're putting in it, etc).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Don't forget things like the bag, risers, and 3-ring sizes should also be compatible, and can differ particularly if you're going used. If you have an experienced rigger advising you, there shouldn't be a problem.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The mix and match problem was more pronounced with thegear used years ago. The newer modern gear components are more compatible. Always check with a rigger before mixing components though..
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Don't forget things like the bag, risers, and 3-ring sizes should also be compatible,

True... As a side note, when buying the container, all the parts mentioned above plus the PC and bridle should be sold together as a set. If buying used, make sure to ask that all are with...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I guess I'm wondering why not save up the money rather than investing in one piece at a time? By the time you buy a main you may have changed your mind about the container. Unless it's to keep you from spending the money on something else.;) There really isn't any problem with buying things one at a time. But once you buy one component you will limit your choices on the others. And having components sitting on the shelf is a shameful waste of good nylon! Obviously buy an AAD last so your not burning up the lifetime. It's measured from DOM not in service date. All canopies are compatible with all harnesses within appropriate size ranges (unless you want a round reserve:o). An example of old incompatibility is early reserve bags came with the canopy, not the container. Some containers only had two reserve risers instead of four a ram air requires (with one exception). All of these things were in the early 80's. Now the only real compatibility problem I can think of is soft links on some risers with out toggle hoods. But these things are minor and can be remedied.

And just to reiterate. A used container should come with a reserve RC, free bag, reserve PC, reserve toggles, cutaway handle, main bag, main risers, main toggles, and usually main PC. The main PC is sometimes customized to the canopy and the original that came with the container may have been lost or sold.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Don't forget things like the bag, risers, and 3-ring sizes should also be compatible, and can differ particularly if you're going used. If you have an experienced rigger advising you, there shouldn't be a problem.

You shouldn't need a rigger for this. All those parts belong to the container/harness and are therefore compatible by default. Whether the canopy will fit the bag or not has to do with container vs canopy compatibility, nothing else. You shouldn't get a different bag to make the canopy fit the container, but rather a different container, or canopy.
---
Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers

Start by buying a main you can confidently land today.
Secondly, buy a reserve about the same size.
Thirdly, buy a container that will gracefully fit them. Since every canopy manufacturer uses a different measuring method, their volume charts border on useless. Simplify your search by only consulting compatiblity charts published by container manufacturers.
Lastly, pick up a used Cypres. You can often purchase an eleven year old Cypres for almost nothing. Sure you only get one year of service, but it improves your chances of surviving that year.

In terms of Cypres compatibility, 8 or 10 years ago, all container manufacturers made all new rigs Cypres ready. If anyone offers you a rig that is not Cypres ready, be careful. Either it is an ancient rig that was not worth updating, or it is one of the few rigs that cannot be updated and is not worth your time.

Finally, remember to ask your friendly local rigger to inspect everything before you part with dollars.

skydiver bob and riggerbob:

thanks for the advice. Credit card #1 is almost history, and in it's place will be a spanking new Spectre 190 (which will be quite conservatively loaded, thank you!) I can't WAIT!!

--michael

-the artist formerly known as sinker