Casch

High School Senior Projects

At my school, you're required to do a "Senior Project" to graduate. They like you to do things that are original, new etc. But they won't let me learn RW for my project. They're afraid that I'll sue them if I get hurt or something. And they tell me that even if I sign a waiver of liability, I could still sue them and win if i got hurt. This makes absolutely no sense to me. They won't even allow you to do a project that would recquire you to ride a horse, or a bike! This is total BS. I want to skydive for my project and these people won't let me because they are afraid. They know nothing about the sport, or the safety precautions. They don't know anything about the gear or the BSR's. Skydiving scares them so they say NO! I'm not the first person to get pissed about this, and I don't know how far other students got with the "Senior Project Commitee". I talked to my counselor about this, and she suggested I write a letter to the committe explaining my position on the subject and that I would be prepared to give a presentation Pro-Skydiving. I think if I can teach these people a little about the gear (AAD's!), the safety procedures, basically an outline of the sport, I might be able to convince these whuffo's that it's not as dangerous as it seems. I'll have to include statistics and compare death/injuries between skydiving and a lot of other activities.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas for me? :S[:/]

My son did his senior project on skydiving in general. He covered a little bit of everything - disciplines, history and gear - and showed the video from his first jump (an AFF level 1). He got an A. B|

I don't think you should try to convince anyone that skydiving is safe. It's not. But it is damn cool, and guaranteed every kid (and likely most of the faculty too) will be bugging you afterwards to find out about doing their own first jump.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly are you trying to use "learning RW" to complete your senior projext? Is the school put in the place where they are actually condoning your skydiving or are they put in a place where you're simply reporting on an activity you happen to pursue. Is there a way you could present your idea so that it sounds more like the latter then the former?

Truman Sparks for President

.. if I can teach these people a little about the gear (AAD's!) ..

Remember why ADD's were renamed AAD's?

Skydiving can be relatively safe, as long as you're aware it's dangerous as hell. You can do everything right and still die.
Johan.
I am. I think.

As it stands now, if in the process of doing your project your feet would leave the ground, it is outlawed

I'm not going to walk up to these people and tell them skydiving is as safe as playing fetch with a poodle, but these ARE whuffo's and they do think 1 out of 10 people will die skydiving (please excuse the exageration and the horrible simile, but you get the point). I am just hoping that by educating them, they will have a better understanding of the safety precautions and open they're eyes for both my benefit and the benifit of future classes.

That's too bad you cant leave the ground, I helped my nephew do a project where we tested the effects of insects and altitude. I got the idea when a love bug was in the plane and died or went to sleep around 10,000ft. So we put a bunch of different bugs in jars and climbed to 15'000ft Cockroaches and houseflies were the only ones that it didnt effect.
But I recorded him in the plane and the bugs and he won 1st place for his class.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I did my OAC (gr 13 in Ontario) physics project on Skydiving.

I did my first pff jump and showed the video to the class and talked about the physics of freefall etc.

Now i'm hooked on skydiving so I can say that this was the best project I have ever done in my life!
Flying Hellfish #470

I did my senoir pro on skydiving. I ran into the same problem. I ended up doing it all by showing a rig and all the parts, how everything worked, and the whole point in skydiving. IF you want i could e-mail you my written part if i can find it.

www.paracletexp.com

They're afraid that I'll sue them if I get hurt or something. And they tell me that even if I sign a waiver of liability, I could still sue them and win if i got hurt. This makes absolutely no sense to me. They won't even allow you to do a project that would recquire you to ride a horse, or a bike! T

Only in America... :P (sorry I just had to say it)

Yup. In contrast, a local boys' school here in Cape Town sends about 20 boys each December to do a static line course at our DZ. The boys get to choose between that and a variety of other outings. So far, no lawsuits ;)

Sadly, so far no girls' schools either. But my daughter just started attending senior school, so maybe she and I can work on that one for the future.