jimjumper

Canopy color material

I just talked to my gear dealer and PD and they both told me that the color purple (of all things) has been discontinued for canopy material. I thought I should post for anybody that is designing their canopy right now. They do still have a dark purple called blackberry though.

What JP said. The purple looked kind of washed out imho; the blackberry is much nicer, and it also matches what most container manufacturers call "purple" in cordura fabric.

At the same time they discontinued the purple, they also discontinued cobalt. That was a bummer; cobalt was a sweet color. Didn't match any container fabrics but it sure looked awesome in the air.

Hmmmm. Maybe they had a reason? I didn't go to the comittee meeting but some accelerated aging data on broad fabrics was presented at one of the PIA committee meetings before symposium. We should check with Performance Textiles and ask why.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Somebody once told me that bright colors like yellow.orange neon green etc. are nice if you ever have to go looking for your canopy after a cut-away.

I'm not sure how much truth resides in that statement since they fall in the weirdest places anyway???

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

I got a neon green/neon purple canopy because I noticed some canopies are hard to see against the sky. I wanted to get something that would be highly visible, both in the air and on the ground. I think different colors are appropriate for different DZs. Neon green is ideal for us desert jumpers.

They sure the heck beat trying to find a kelly green canopy that decides to land in a corn field.

Or a dark , one color canopy right at sunset, looks just like a rock
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

PD told me it wasn't even their choice -- that Dupont just wans't going to make it anymore. IIRC they said it was like a demand thing... they sold so little of it it wasn't worth making.

This happened a while ago, though, as I bought my canopy last year around this time and it was already gone. Maybe they ran across some extra stock? hmmmmm.

-jerm

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time