rendezvous

How cold is too cold for you

>Temp on the ground was 30 ish.

Yep, that's happened to me on occasion too, especially during Santa Anas. We had a few days of ocean winds at 10kts at sea level and uppers going the opposite direction at 40kts off the desert. They were actually warmer than ground level.

And just try to figure out exit separation for _that_ condition!

It will be in the 20s to near 30 here this weekend. It's been 2 whole weeks since I jumped at Sebastian, Florida, so I feel compelled to jump if skies and winds are OK. Howevah, I should say that these forecasted temps are about at the bottom of my lower limit.[:/] It is possible that the professor (aka, Kallend) may decide to show, as he has in the past in these conditions (or was it at least 35 degrees?).

Harry

I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I won't jump if it's under 55 F. on the ground. I have jumped in the past with a Sizzle suit, I was quite warm, but I really need the feel of wind on my flesh.
The less clothes the better!
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

It will be in the 20s to near 30 here this weekend. It's been 2 whole weeks since I jumped at Sebastian, Florida, so I feel compelled to jump if skies and winds are OK. Howevah, I should say that these forecasted temps are about at the bottom of my lower limit.[:/] It is possible that the professor (aka, Kallend) may decide to show, as he has in the past in these conditions (or was it at least 35 degrees?).

Harry

Not this time - my rig's in for some repair work.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've jumped in ground temps of maybe -5 or -10°C (say -25°F). At altitude, -25°C (-30°F) I guess. Maybe a little colder. Doesn't really get colder than that 'round here. So far, I have never done a hop 'n pop instead of a full alti jump just because of the temperature.
The plane is heated, freefall is too short to get really cold (the adrenaline helps too) (but could those wimps doing hop 'n pops please hurry out of the door so we can close it after them?)

-10C is not -25F, it's +14F: -25C is not -30F, it's -13F.

Thanks Prof. Sorry folks, just read the degrees Celsius. Can I just state 'damn cold' and dress appropriately?
Johan.
I am. I think.

I've jumped in ground temps of maybe -5 or -10°C (say -25°F). At altitude, -25°C (-30°F) I guess. Maybe a little colder. Doesn't really get colder than that 'round here. So far, I have never done a hop 'n pop instead of a full alti jump just because of the temperature.
The plane is heated, freefall is too short to get really cold (the adrenaline helps too) (but could those wimps doing hop 'n pops please hurry out of the door so we can close it after them?)

-10C is not -25F, it's +14F: -25C is not -30F, it's -13F.

Thanks Prof. Sorry folks, just read the degrees Celsius. Can I just state 'damn cold' and dress appropriately?

That's what professors are there for.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have a glove rule. If it's cold enough to wear gloves, it's too cold to jump.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Well, I wore my new thermal undercap for no reason at all this weekend. The ground temperature was a little above 0°C, but I'd say it was around 10°C or more at 9000'. It was a beautiful sunny day and my (gloved) fingers almost froze on the ride down. Obviously, the air kept getting colder till 3000' and then gradually warmer again. Looking back, I think the toughest part would be packing out in the open. Good thing I didn't have to :)

Well- If were able to jump yesterday, I probably would have passed- The temps here haven't been getting up past 20 deg F during the day, and I'm being a bit of a wuss this winter.

But on the other hand I haven't jumped in over a month now, and I'm getting itchy. (Read- about ready to start gnawing the plaster off the walls- Major cabin fever.)

I think I'll take my canopy out and re-pack it - just to get high on the smell of ripstop nylon.

I may need to consider re-locating South. Anybody know of any job opportunities for a mainenance supervisor (Multi-Craft) someplace where I won't have to shovel snow?

Easy Does It

A few of us WERE there yesterday. Ground temp, 18 degrees F. Not mentioning names, but one of us jumped nekkid from 8500'. Yeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa !! Thank goodness for the heater in the office !!
-Jeff.
http://www.iplummet.com

Common sense and common courtesy are NOT common.

Not mentioning names, but one of us jumped nekkid from 8500'.

Oh man! That must have been absolutely painful! If my fingers almost froze (and it was warmer here and I used gloves), I don't even want to imagine what happened to that guy's privates...:ph34r:

I remember when I jumped last year when it was 0*C on the ground. The wind blowing against my limbs was so freaking cold I know at the time I said I wouldn't do it again BUT wearing the right clothes while your up there WILL make all the difference.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

I did several jumps into the National Aviation Museum in Ottawa,
Canada during the month of January. We were using a helicopter
without a door. The ground temperature was -30C. The temperature
at 3000 feet was -40C. I needed several hours in the museum
between jumps to recover.

I don't mean this specific to you, I'm just following up to your post as convenience.

I think the biggest problem with skydivers jumping in the cold, is that we haven't learned how to prepare.

Skiiers understand, that if you're going to be skiing at high altitude, or in extremely cold temperatures, it isn't a problem. You prepare for it. You wear many layers of high tech fabric designed for the elements. You wear protection appropriate for the weather.

Skydivers haven't figured this out. So many jumpers put on gloves that consist of little more then golf or baseball gloves, with a latex surgical glove underneath. They consider this appropriate winter protection. Meanwhile downhill skiiers have learned to wear big puffy mitts and gloves that'll actually keep them warm at altitude. Cross country skiiers wear combinations of neoprene and fleece, which keeps them warm through absolutely frigid temperatures.

We, as a group, need to learn what it takes to jump in the winter, if this is something we want to do. People blindly putting latex under a golf glove is rediculous.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

We, as a group, need to learn what it takes to jump in the winter, if this is something we want to do. People blindly putting latex under a golf glove is rediculous.

However, one cannot afford to sacrifice warmth for dexterity in this sport! I use the Neuman(like) NSL gloves for all my winter jumps (but then again, I jump in FL). If I had to wear

big puffy mitts and gloves that'll actually keep [my hands] warm at altitude

I may not have the proper dexterity to perform emergency procedures. I'd rather live to jump another day than risk that situation.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

However, one cannot afford to sacrifice warmth for dexterity in this sport! I use the Neuman(like) NSL gloves for all my winter jumps (but then again, I jump in FL). If I had to wear

I agree that big puffy mitts aren't the definitive answer. This is why I mentioned the thiner, lighter ones frequently worn by cross country skiiers. I use a pair I picked up at a hiking and winter camping store. Or, for example look at the lighter winter gloves worn by decathelets. (you know, skiing, shooting -the winter sport?)

Yes, I'm also talking about people up north, jumping in conditions that approach -40, where the danger from frost-bite in freefall counters the danger of less dexterity.

There is a solution out there, we just need to find it.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

As one of the people around here who loves jumping so much that he's one of the few on the plane in mid-20's (F) weather, I wear fabric liners from WalMart under summer-weight bike or Neuman gloves. Although my fingers may get a bit cold, it's not serious at all and the layers are thin enough not to interfere with canopy/emergency procedures. Latex liners don't seem to help much and they are harder to put on. Yeah, we jumped again yesterday.

Just wear thin ski layers and a closed face helmet and you should be fine. It helps to avoid closing the helmet (if it has a lens release) until just before you go out to minimize fog-up.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143