bodypilot90

paid pack job chop, lost main

In Canada you do not have to have a rigger supervise your pack jobs.

We don't have to have a rigger supervise our main pack jobs here in the US if we're packing our own main. But it is supposed to be required if another person, who isn't a rigger, packs your main.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

In Canada you are able to be a packer without a rigger supervising. I know this because I am a packer at my DZ and the nearest rigger is 2 hours away.

Troy Loughery
TOT
www.SkydiveMoncton.com

To my wife: 'If you ask me to stop skydiving, you are asking me to move out!'

Is that just in practice or is that how it is laid out in the rules? That just seems odd to me, since Canada seems to be more stringent then the US when it comes to jumping.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In Canada you do not have to have a rigger supervise your pack jobs.

We don't have to have a rigger supervise our main pack jobs here in the US if we're packing our own main. But it is supposed to be required if another person, who isn't a rigger, packs your main.

Kris

Yep it's an FAR now.....I don't have the exact wording in front of me. But now all packers must be under the direct supervision of a rigger.
Fly it like you stole it!

>This sounds like insurance fraud to me.

If the canopy was stolen/lost while lying on the ground, it was a perfectly valid use of the insurance. If it was destroyed in mid-air, of course, it would not be.

We're not talking about a rig stolen from a campsite or some such. A skydive was made and the rig was clearly being used. I consider cutting away a canopy during a skydive an intentional loss while in use. If it had not been in use, the loss described could not have occured.

Bob

I could be wrong but the gist I get from my biz law professor is that once the gear touches the ground it is considered to no longer be in use. My prof was of the opinion that if several witnesses saw the thing touch down, it's a valid insurance claim.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

A line-over can be caused by a radically unstable jumper.

Personally, I think that's pushing it a bit, but given the realm of probability, anything is possible.

If the rig was packed by yourself, and you caused the malfunction, then it was a packer-induced malfunction, albiet a self-induced packer malfunction.

[Homer Voice] D'oh! [/Homer Voice] You got me there. I need to read and not skim before I post.:$

Kris

I have seen a line over devlop sponatneously. Weirdest thing I ever saw, a Raven IV with perfectly symetircal line- overs on cells 2 and 6. I'm positive it was spontaneous as several peole watched the pack job and saw nothign wrong with it.

Got to hand it to that Raven Iv. It was effectively a 3 cell, and while obviosuly unlandable, it flew very well. Not that there's ever a good cut-away scenario, but we couldn't have asked for a better one since the diver was a first time jumper.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

As a packer, I do not expect tips, nor do tips get you a better pack job....in fact most people do not tip. However, it is nice that some of my customers are kind enough to give me an extra $5 or a beer after sunset. It's a nice way to know that they remembered that sweet opening I gave them on that quick turnaround so they could make just one more jump before nightfall.

Tippers do not get packed first - first come, first packed is the way I work - unless I have an "all-day" aggrement with someone or if I am packing for a team.

I pack the same way for every customer since a good pack job is the only way for me to get repeat business. But, as a skydiver you are responsible for yourself - and I have no idea what you do to your gear after I hand it back to you. Paying for a repack would be something I would consider only if was 100% positive it was my error....and even then, I don't know if I would pay for it.

PC in tow can also be caused by a bad PC. Is your packer responsible for you gear maintenance as well?

If I find something wrong with the rig or gear, I tell the jumper to take it to the rigging loft and have it worked on. I don't fix gear, I just pack, However, I will look for the obvious as I am packing - twisted brake lines, worn closing loop, worn brake lines, broken lines, ripped canopy, etc....

Yep it's an FAR now.....I don't have the exact wording in front of me. But now all packers must be under the direct supervision of a rigger.

Are you saying that this is a change? As long as I can remember that has been what the FARs stated.

Are you saying that this is a change? As long as I can remember that has been what the FARs stated.

Dev-
They did change the wording to reflect the intent that the rigger actually be 'on site' and near enough to the action to 'observe' and assist...
the scarry part is the implied responsibility the aircraft PILOT shares...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes, it now must be "direct" supervision. The rigger is actually to be more then just on site, they have to be availble to answer any questions as soon as they pop up. No more packing while the rigger is on the plane making a jump or something.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com