SkySlut

New skydiving weather site...

I stumbled across this website the other day...its really good. It forcast the winds aloft & a bunch of other weather related things for all the DZs in the states. I think that it just got put up and it is in its early stages, but what a great source of information. You can sort out what jumprun is and what the spot is going to be before you even get to the DZ.

www.skydivingweather.com

Nice site. People might want to check the Latitude/Longitude of their DZ listed there to make sure they get the correct weather forcast. I just noticed that Skydive Chicago was listed about 80 miles east of where it really is. Oooops. I imagine they will fix that after they receive my email. Other might want to check their favorite DZ too.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

:$ Somebody already noticed.

Thanks to everyone for looking at the site. I just launched on Saturday. I hadn't posted to search engines and was wondering where all the traffic was coming from. Now I guess I know.

The lat-long coordinates for the airport are taken from the zip code of the DZ, which is almost always incorrect, but usually only by a wee bit. The dropzones that have mailing addresses in different towns are driving me nuts. Funny though, is that at the Skydive Chicago site they list their lat-long of the airport as (41.3994444 / -88.7936111) and I have them listed as (41.25/-88.83) which shouldn't change the nearest reporting stations for most dropzones but might for Skydive Chicago. The calculated distance between the two points shows my location as 10.5 miles south of the actual.

Thanks, I could use more ATP users. If everyone took the time to validate the data like you have it'd be great.
John Hobart
[email protected]
www.skydivingweather.com

Great site! B|

My only suggestion would be to incorporate a slimmed-down-graphics version for use with Palm's and similar hand-held computers. I'd be happy to help with that if you need it; just PM me.

7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Nice site! My DZO is going to drop you an e-mail at some point, since the listed spot for our DZ is a few miles off of what it really is. :)
SPI Skydivers (which is next to South Padre Island) was listed up around Dallas, also, which is about a 10 hour drive away...:$:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This is a report for Orange, Orange Municipal Airport, United States.
(Located 13.6 mi West/Northwest of the dropzone.)

The Orange, MA ASOS is on the airport. Dunno what's 13.6 mi W/NW.

Also Massachusetts is misspelled in your dropdown list, and there are some non-Massachusetts DZs in the list.

Nice site, just needs some fixin'

HW

Yup, I went through the database a couple of times to fix errant DZs but I was counting on, and have received :o a lot of corrections. I'm working at inputting all the changes but it's going to take the better part of tomorrow probably just to fix what's already been reported. Just yesterday I saw a dropzone in Colorado show up in Pennsylvania. The misplling of Massacheussettees I'm fixing right now (as soon as I finish this post). Right now it's all based on zip codes but I'm going to move it to a direct latitude/longitude for each DZ ASAP as the locations aren't always up to snuff.
I would like to thank each of you for all the help. The site sure will be better when (a) All the dropzones are listed (I'm still missing a few) and (b) They're all in the right place.
Cheers, and thanks again, and if you're in warmer regions than here do a jump for me. I sure could use one.

John Hobart
[email protected]

John Hobart
[email protected]
www.skydivingweather.com

Yup, I went through the database a couple of times to fix errant DZs but I was counting on, and have received :o a lot of corrections. I'm working at inputting all the changes but it's going to take the better part of tomorrow probably just to fix what's already been reported. Just yesterday I saw a dropzone in Colorado show up in Pennsylvania. The misplling of Massacheussettees I'm fixing right now (as soon as I finish this post). Right now it's all based on zip codes but I'm going to move it to a direct latitude/longitude for each DZ ASAP as the locations aren't always up to snuff.
I would like to thank each of you for all the help. The site sure will be better when (a) All the dropzones are listed (I'm still missing a few) and (b) They're all in the right place.
Cheers, and thanks again, and if you're in warmer regions than here do a jump for me. I sure could use one.

John Hobart
[email protected]

John, you have taken on a monumental task. Kudos to you for trying. Amazing work already (I'm looking at the Nexrad stuff for Chicago as the snow comes in) and I know you'll get stuff worked out.

Chris

Very Nice!...

Expect some of the locations to be many miles away from the DZ. Stockton and Byron are MILES apart but it's the closest to being accurate.

Thanks !
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hey, this is a terrific idea -- thanks for doing it! Re Bay Area Skydiving, I usually use "Byron, CA" in Accuweather to get the weather report there -- it's closer than Stockton.

ha HAAAaaa .... that's where you are incorrect sir...that's measured in Livermore. Over the hill where the weather is different. Closer but not as accurate as stockton.

B|
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hey, this is a terrific idea -- thanks for doing it! Re Bay Area Skydiving, I usually use "Byron, CA" in Accuweather to get the weather report there -- it's closer than Stockton.

ha HAAAaaa .... that's where you are incorrect sir...that's measured in Livermore. Over the hill where the weather is different. Closer but not as accurate as stockton.

B|

That's good to know. Now if we just had a webcam pointed straight up at the DZ...

It would be really cool to have "participating" DZs send an aerial photo of the DZ with the corresponding degrees and distances marked out. So according to the winds aloft, you could actually see which direction that jumprun would be and how many tenths short or long the spot would be. I dont know if that would be too much of a pain in the arse, but it would be great for lazy skydivers or newer jumpers that are having trouble figuring out how to spot.