Islandcool

1st time at Perris

I'm going to start some RW this weekend and it was suggested I get a jumpsuit. I drove from San Diego this morning to Perris in hopes of finding one. It turned out to be much more of a trip than I thought. I get there at 8am. No one is really there so I go looking around. I've only jumped in San Diego and I've been to Elsinore but something about Perris hit me. I see all the packing areas, the offices, the planes and I'm beginning to feel a little anxious and my palms are sweating. Although it is slow this morning this place must really get humming on busy days. I stop in Square 1 and I meet frank...He's a nice guy and the woman was equally as nice but I didn't catch her name. Frank cracks a joke but I really don't respond...I am a little overwhelmed with a mixture of emotions. I tell them I was feeling a little intimidated by the size of the place but they assure me it is not that bad. It was more than that. I was in the bomb shelter and looking at all the photos on the wall. Photos of friendship, joy, achievement, silliness, remembrance, mortality, immortality, charity, history, celebrity and so on. It showed my how much Perris has played a part in the sport. Perris shows it age with the multiple coats of paint and years of wear but that is part of it's charm. It's warm, comfortable, and friendly looking. I began to feel like I was in the Mecca of skydiving. It wasn't that I was intimidated...it was like being in the presence of something great. I'm planning to jump there next month. I hope to get to meet some of the locals there. That's a wonderful dropzone you have there. Can't wait to visit and stay a while.

Blue Skies

Ed

I'm beginning to feel a little anxious and my palms are sweating

consider your self lucky...first time I went to elsinore we got there at like 3:30 am and jsut slept in the van till morning!! I was so nervous I ended up puking that morning before jumping...Your definatlyl not alone in the anxioty (sp) and nerves of a bigger DZ!;)

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

Perris can be a bit overwhelming the first time. Don't let that stop you from coming out and jumping next month though. You're a step ahead of most people making their first trip there - you already know a few people who call Perris home. Be sure to post what days you'll be out there; you'll meet and probably jump with a whole bunch of cool people, guaranteed.

Any luck with the jumpsuit?

>Perris shows it age with the multiple coats of paint and years of wear
> but that is part of it's charm.

Wow, I'm feeling really old now - I used to think the same thing about the _old_ Bomb Shelter.

> It's warm, comfortable, and friendly looking. I began to feel like I
> was in the Mecca of skydiving.

Yep - one of the meccas at least. Eloy will do that to you too.

>Perris shows it age

:-)

It may seem big city-ish now, but it started as a
small cessna dropzone just like lots of other places.

I remember putting some UCLA students out on SL
in the 60's when I should have been studying for
my qualifying exams.

Skydiving really ruined my career as a math major.

It got hard to take the departmental games and
one-ups-man-ship seriously after being in freefall
on the weekends.

Skr