weezil1

Serious Newbie question

Ok, newbie poster. 8 jumps, 1/2 way through the S/L progression. (Doing my PRCP's now)

The question: Here in Alaska we have some serious downtime that allows one enough time to get nervous about jumping out of "perfectly good aircraft." I know I am getting butterflies thinking about it, even though it has only been 6 months. Should I "test the waters" with a tandem again before resuming my S/L training or just get in there from where I left off?

Also, is S/L training in your experience worth it, or should I start over on AFF?

Thanks
To err is human (Total chaos requires a ferret)

:(i'm in a similar position too. the weather didn't work in my favor, or my work schedule, to finish AFF last season. I'm sure i'll have to wait and see what my AFF instructors say when they start back up in April.[:/]
matt
P.S. I think i'm starting to enjoy the butterflies though. Just means i like it i guess. I'm getting more excited then anything.

I hear you. It's probably a good thing AK doesn't have a state lottery.....otherwise I would be blowing jump money on a chance to make enough to get that sweet, sweet "A" on my licence in a more temperate climate.

/dale

Talk to your instructor.

If you can afford it go AFF but either way you will get to the same point. Being current is perhaps of most importance when you are a student. Skills improve the most when you are able to practice them frequently (weekly).

Everyone gets a bit of nerves after a month or longer period of not jumping. Relax and focus on the skills for each jump and you'll be fine.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

If your limited for time AFF wil get you your A licence fast, not too sure how long s/l takes.

You "could" be on your consols in under a week.

it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

I can relate to that too. Irish weather also sucks. One of the DZs here has a written rule that if you've not jumped (or at least been there on a bad weather day) in 6 weeks you should retrain. In practise, this rule isn't strictly adhered to by many in that situation.

In reply to: "Should I "test the waters" with a tandem again before resuming my S/L training or just get in there from where I left off?"

People sometimes prefer to go back a step or three in their progression (after a significant break) to make sure they still have the skills they had before the break.

In reply to: "Also, is S/L training in your experience worth it, or should I start over on AFF?"

I've just 17 jumps and won't be jumping again till next year. Personally, I'd prefer to repeat the S/L progression because I like the feeling of accomplishment in doing stuff myself.

_______

You know you are a skydiver when someone offers you a second plate of a very delicious and fattening dessert and you say: "No thank you, I'm watching my fall reate." - Allen Roulston

The question: Here in Alaska we have some serious downtime that allows one enough time to get nervous about jumping out of "perfectly good aircraft." I know I am getting butterflies thinking about it, even though it has only been 6 months.

Also, is S/L training in your experience worth it, or should I start over on AFF?

Butterflies are normal. There are a few things you can do to help with the stress, and some reasonable strategies you can deploy. Many of your concerns are similar to those of first jump students, and I suggested solutions in my new book "JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy." Check out the home page of this site for a summary of "JUMP!" and a direct link to Amazon.com where it is on sale for 30 percent off. While the book is really written for first timers, I think you will find some useful information, and it will help you to answer questions from your whuffo friends and family.

I'd also suggest you pick up a copy of "The Skydivers Handbook." That is the bible for advanced training and should make for some good reading through the slow winter months. Use this part of the year to read about the sport, and if you haven't picked up Joe Jennings DVD called "Good Stuff" do that now...it's not a training video, but rather a compilation of some of the coolest video of skydiving ever made. It's a great motivation video for the long winter months.

As for making another tandem...do what feels right. You don't need it for skill management, but if you want to make a tandem for comfort, then by all means do so.

The static line/AFF debate has been raging for 20 years. Each program has advantages, so again, it up to you to make the decision. I teach them both and give the nod to AFF, as long as the student can afford it. If a student just doesn't have dollars available then static line is at least a way to get in the air. The key is to have fun and enjoy the sport, and whatever method is going to work for you is the way to go.

Blue Skies,

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
etc.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Butterflies are normal. You seem to be fairly confident in your abilities tho, so I'd talk with your instructor first. You should be receiving retraining for currentcy and repeat one S/L before going back onto freefall. After that, your already freefalling on your own and working on air skills. Starting all over with AFF may cost more thatn you're willing to spend and much more than your remaining training in the S/L progression. Assess your finances and talk with your JM for the best solution. Good luck and Blue Skies!
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

I'm a newbie too and I think that "butterflies" are coolB|. They're a sign that you appreciate the fact that there are risks involved in our sport and imho they help to keep us focussed on being safe. If I ever noticed the complete absence of "butterflies" on my jumps I'd be concerned that maybe I was becoming complacent.

I'd only worry if the "butterflies" overwhelm your enjoyment of the jump, but from your description that doesn't seem to be the case.

Good luck!;)

Thats normal. If you haven't jumped for a while it's bound to make your nervous. While going through my AFF sometimes I could jump only once a week and at times once in two weeks. And then ofcourse being a 1 cessna DZ I did my share of waiting around too. All that game me plenty of time to worry about everything I could. All the waiting and thinking use to get me quite anxious but then it would all go away once I found myself stepping out of the plane.

>Should I "test the waters" with a tandem again before resuming my
> S/L training or just get in there from where I left off?

Depends on money. If you have the money a tandem is a great idea; if not, you could probably spend the money more effectively on a regular SL jump to get back in the swing of things.

>Also, is S/L training in your experience worth it, or should I start over on AFF?

It worked for me. For someone without a lot of money it can be more effective than AFF, since you stay more current.

Thanks Bill - and everyone else who responded. I guess at this stage I will stick to S/L progression. While the ferret-clan may not starve if I moved to a more expensive type of training, It would be nice to save enough for my first rig before I am old enough to have grand-kids to buy one for me!:ph34r:

/dale

Hi.

If you're still in PRCP's, then you're still on the static line. As an SL jumpmaster I would recommend you save yourself the cash and just hit the PRCP's again.

Every jumper has nervousness after the winter layoff. But if you've been well taught, and if you've practiced your "Arch, Reach, Pull" sequence, you will still have muscle memory. Practice that sequence on the ground a bunce of times each day, and you'll be great.

*of, course, you also want to feel comfortable, so if you WANT to do a tandem first, by all means do it. Every student is different, and you know yourself, and your needs better than anyone else.

blue skies!

I'm a newbie too and I think that "butterflies" are cool

They ARE cool. As an instructor, it's the students that AREN'T scared or nervous that freak me out.

I recently made my first jump back after nine months out with a broken leg. Iw as VERY nervous, but once i got in the plane I chilled out, and once I was in the air, it was just like riding a bike.