jitsoa33

whuffo airborne qualified question

I can only speak for our DZ but there is a jumper here that was a navey seal and of coarse jumped in the military and our DZ let him bypass the first two tandems and just go to level 3 jump which is jumping with one J/M!!! I'd just ask the DZO....

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

It really depends on the dz and exactly what type of jumps you did in the military. The techniques used to do military s/l's under rounds are quite a bit different than what sport jumpers do under squares. :)
And you're not a whuffo if you're Airborne qualified!

well at Eloy they skipped the whole PLF instruction part for me and said OK right away when i i said i wanted AFF vs AFP (ive seen them be pretty adamant with some people since too) but otherwise no..in fact they wont accept my water training (and i went thru the week long aircrew water survival even) either so i've got to flop in the pool/pond before i get my D [:/]

Being Airborne qualified gives you good background experience so much of the anxiety of jumping doesn't bother you. Aside from that and your extensive PLF training, courtosy of Benning, that's about the extent of your advantage. You still need to learn to fly your body in the air, which the head down exit posture from a high performance aircraft does not promote. You'll need to go through most of the training for freefall that everyone else does, but the reduced anxiety lends to a faster and more relaxed attitude towards the sport i.e. less time worrying = more time learning. Just take it one step at a time and don't become discouraged if you have bumps along the way. Welcome to a larger world!
Thomas Wood
Instructor, 82d Airborne Freefall Activity
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

in fact they wont accept my water training (and i went thru the week long aircrew water survival even) either so i've got to flop in the pool/pond before i get my D

Only because the harness exit procedures for water are different with a split saddle and must be observed for proper sequence by an Instructor or S&TA.

...Bigun
SF Association D-3896

I got to skip the PLF portion too. It sucks cause our night jumps don't count either.

Only because the criteria is different for the USPA. You will have a much greater advantage than those Non-Airborne personnel who become skydivers. I've seen more than one of them lock up on a night jump. We (Airborne) on the other hand have had so many at night that we actually are more prepared and as a result do much better. Enjoy it, Bro.

...Bigun

Won't dispute that but there are always exceptions to the rule. Had an airborne visit our DZ for a night jump once. Being his 1st jump at the DZ and that too in the evening he was asked to do a Hop'n'Pop right over the DZ. He was on the 1st load of the evening. It took us and the local police 2 hours to find him. He exited right above the landing field but got confused with all the lights around and just let himself drift away. Fortunately he was uninjured and the police didn't bother much about it. Bad things can happen to anyone, anywhere. Airborne or no Airborne, mistakes can be made by anyone.

Won't dispute that but there are always exceptions to the rule. Had an airborne visit our DZ for a night jump once. Being his 1st jump at the DZ and that too in the evening he was asked to do a Hop'n'Pop right over the DZ. He was on the 1st load of the evening. It took us and the local police 2 hours to find him. He exited right above the landing field but got confused with all the lights around and just let himself drift away. Fortunately he was uninjured and the police didn't bother much about it. Bad things can happen to anyone, anywhere. Airborne or no Airborne, mistakes can be made by anyone.

Did you ask him if he was an Officer or Enlisted? ;)

Hmmm Now I have a question......

What does being a USPA licensed skydiver get ya at the bargaining table of an Army Recruiter????

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

What does being a USPA licensed skydiver get ya at the bargaining table of an Army Recruiter????

Jack really. Same with the Marine recruiters as well.

I personally only got some props after both the Army and Marine's discovered that I was a D-Licensed skydiver with over 400 jumps at the time. Props also came when they found out that 5 of those jumps were to get my Royal Netherland Airborne Wings from the Dutch Army. I think however that it was more shocking for them to hear because they were all LEGS(non-jumpers) and a 17 year old high school kid wasn't. Thanks POP.B|

John D-24352

I too was an Army jumper before going to sport jumping. As was mentioned earlier, about the only part you might be able to skip is doing PLF's. Nobody can do a better PLF than someone who is airborne qualified. The rest of your training will probably all be different. If you were halo qualified you might skip more of the training, but the basic airborne school doesn't teach a lot that is transferable to skydiving. If you've made many military jumps, you'll probably be ahead of your fellow trainees. In other words you'll take right to skydiving. Welcome to the club! Steve1