NoShitThereIWas

Physics Presentation on Skydiving

Hi All,

I am doing a research paper/presentation for my Physics 2B class and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of good sources of information. I have already checked out John Kallend's website and am using some of his good stuff but I am thinking about doing the paper on gravity vs. air resistance and the effect of the surface area of a skydiver's body on his/her directional control. Also how the same principles apply to deployment and inflation of the canopy and a bit of Bernoulli's principles regarding flying the RAM Air canopy. If anyone has any good insight or bibliographical resources, I knew this was the place to come. Thanks in advance and Blue Skies!
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Nice that you can combine study and hobby. On the website of Parks College Parachute Research Group there's lots of information on the opening of parachutes and more.

and a bit of Bernoulli's principles regarding flying the RAM Air canopy

Be aware, you're opening a can of worms here:S Without the aim of starting a long discussion on this topic (probably has been done before), Bernoulli's principles only play a minor role in the description of how wings fly. It's Newton's law's which govern this (actually, Bernouilli follows from newtons laws).
Good luck with your presentation!
Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

A presentaion that works well is to take a box fan, lay it on its side (With chairs holding it up so it gets flow).

Take some of those hand held fans they give at ball games ect....You know, the ones with a wooden handle. (Or any other flat surface that can be held....

TELL them how we deflect Air to move....Then SHOW them how..Then let them DO it.

Combine this with some video of you doing sideslides and turns....

Its a good presentation.

hope this helps.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Nice that you can combine study and hobby. On the website of Parks College Parachute Research Group there's lots of information on the opening of parachutes and more.

and a bit of Bernoulli's principles regarding flying the RAM Air canopy

Be aware, you're opening a can of worms here:S Without the aim of starting a long discussion on this topic (probably has been done before), Bernoulli's principles only play a minor role in the description of how wings fly. It's Newton's law's which govern this (actually, Bernouilli follows from newtons laws).
Good luck with your presentation!

If Bernoulli follows from Newton (which it does), how can Bernoulli's principle and Newton's Laws contribute differently to the generation of lift?

Please don't confuse Bernoulli's principle with the incorrect decriptions of airflow over wings seen in some publications.

Three times is enemy action

This text is physics over my head (three semesters of physics). Was a required text for AIAA decelerator conference. Parachutes, not skydiving.

From ParaPublishing web site.

The Parachute Recovery Systems Design Manual by T.W. Knacke provides the tools to evaluate, select, design, test, manufacture, and operate parachute recovery systems. These systems range from simple, one-parachute assemblies to multiple-parachute systems, and include equipment for impact attenuation, flotation, location, retrieval, and disposition. All system aspects are discussed, including the selection of the most suitable recovery system concept, a computerized approach to parachute performance, force and stress analysis, geometric gore design, component layout, material selection, system design, manufacturing, and in-service maintenance. This is the last word in technical design manuals for recovery systems. Theo Knacke is the parachute engineer's engineer. He is the ultimate authority on escape systems, landing deceleration canopies, aerial delivery clusters, personnel parachutes and spacecraft recovery systems. The manual was written for the US Navy and is published by Para Publishing under contract.

Knacke manual. Softcover 8.5 x 11 Kivar cover, 512 pages, 280 illustration, 78 tables. ISBN 0-915516-85-3. $49.95
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi All,

I am doing a research paper/presentation for my Physics 2B class and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of good sources of information. I have already checked out John Kallend's website and am using some of his good stuff but I am thinking about doing the paper on gravity vs. air resistance and the effect of the surface area of a skydiver's body on his/her directional control. Also how the same principles apply to deployment and inflation of the canopy and a bit of Bernoulli's principles regarding flying the RAM Air canopy. If anyone has any good insight or bibliographical resources, I knew this was the place to come. Thanks in advance and Blue Skies!

Hi Jen

I'll e-mail you a powerpoint presentation I give to high school students on the physics of skydiving. It will need beefing up a bit for college level. I use the clip from Point Break of the 4 minute freefall as an intro.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If Bernoulli follows from Newton (which it does), how can Bernoulli's principle and Newton's Laws contribute differently to the generation of lift?

Please don't confuse Bernoulli's principle with the incorrect decriptions of airflow over wings seen in some publications.

Well, Newton's laws give you much more than just Bernoulli's princible. For instance, a wing deflects the air down, and by newton's law, this results in an upward force on the wing. Of course, the real situation is much more complicated, and yes, laminous vs turbulent flow over the wing is important. But, I'm not an expert on this. I'm sure there's lots of good (and bad [:/]) info on this on the web.
Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

With all this talk about wings I think it would wouldn't hurt to throw in Birdman/wingsuit flight with the skydiving you already plan on covering since it is probably the truest form of actually flying the human body.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well, Newton's laws give you much more than just Bernoulli's princible..

That is not true, PROVIDED you do the calculations correctly. Some things to think about:

How is the air deflected downwards unless there are pressure differences?

How can there be pressure differences unless there are velocity differences?

How can the lift force be inconsistent with the pressure differences?

Three times is enemy action