flyhy

wingwalking on a cresco

Has anybody out there done it? is it hard to get from the door to the front edge? Where do you hold on to? Is it likely to end up in the tail plane? How has the pilot to fly the plane while we're out there? Are their any dangers that I might not be thinking of?

I got to jump one in Oz - but no one i've talked to here in the States seems to have heard of a Cresco. Can't wait till we get them here:D

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Just to clarify, you probably will NOT see a Cresco in the US. You WILL see the PAC750XL which has been designed from Cresco, but is a much improved aircraft.....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've seen this photo before. As stated it's a artists rendering (read photoshopped) pic.

I don't care HOW strong the flaps are - That tail looks scary close. I don't think I would want to stand up on that wing.

Anyone actually done this and lived to tell us about it?

Cripes! I heard that thing had a low tail, but from the pic, it looks plain scary! B| Is anyone else worried about hitting the tail, or is it just me? Other than that, it's nice to see a aircraft that has a specific mod for skydiving :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I've done about 100 jumps from King Air. I actually had a friend hit the tail, but it was combination of errors - pilot was rolling and climbing, and jumper was jumping WAY out. Hit the back of his head on the tail. He was OK - wearing a helmet, got a bad concussion and left a nice dent in the tail. If procedures are followed for the pilot, there's little chance of a tailstrike.

The tail on the Pak looks a LOT closer to the door than the King Air, but maybe it's just a misperception. I think I'll wait a while to jump one to see if it's a problem.

The problem with low tail jump planes (DC-3, Cessna 206, Cherokee Six, King Air, Cresco, etc.) is that they are not totally idiot-proof. To avoid tail strikes jumpers need enough self-discipline to follow procedures. The most important procedure is waiting until the pilot has the airplane properly trimmed and turns on the green light.

Come on folks, the Royal Air Force figured this out 50 years ago!
Why do skydivers insist on repeating mistakes?

Skydivers who have the patience to wait until the pilot is reaedy never strike tails on these airplanes.

Skydivers who have the patience to wait until the pilot is reaedy never strike tails on these airplanes.

As a skydiver, I don't always assume the pilot is right. The incident that happened that I mentioned above was a very experienced skydiver and a new pilot. The pilot turned on green light, but was not properly trimmed. Pilot error, IMO.

I've been front float on a few exits watching the pilot roll relative to the horizon, which freaks me out. I was unable to relay that info to the jumpers behind me, so in the end we had to jump anyway.

This needs to be a combination of pilot and jumper procedure - both need to be doing things right to make it safe.

Never trust pilots; they have engines. :ph34r:

In regards to exiting the Cresco, its fine. I have a fair few four-way and eight way exits out of it. The only interesting thing was taking of a 8way chunk, but that was related to the door and not the tail.
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

That photo of the 750 xl looks like the tail is lower than it is, its better than the normal cresco and we have never have any problems with that. You would have to try pretty hard to hit it.
I would be very surprised if there were many teething problems with the aircraft. The engine is proven, fuel system, wing section, undercarriage.....a lot of this plane is the original cresco which is as tough as old boots and can handle ag ops, much tougher than skydiving. Personally I think it will be a huge success, it outperforms the caravan in every way except cruise speed (hmmm, I'm pretty worried about that!) and costs about $400,000 US less out of the factory. The caravan wasn't designed for jumping, its got the wrong wing.
This thing will rock.B|

I agree with you, king air tails require significant respect.

WRT/ hitting the tail, remember the Skydive Suffolk death not too long ago. Navy Seal, lots of jumps, CRW dog. Hit the tail without a helmet.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=144392;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

As for the PAC750xl, it looks like a workhorse of a jumpship. Because it is a single engine, and low operating costs, it (based on their propoganda at least) out classes other jump planes in profit/load and load minimums for break evens.

Last I heard, they still were going through a joint certification CFA (?) and FAA.. dont think FAA has certified it yet. Joint certification I believe is to help streamline the cert process (FAA has been under fire for their slowness), but using tests/info/research/etc. from other countires certifications.

The PAC750XL now has CA (New Zealand) certification.

In October of this year serial #003 will be ferried over to the us and undergo the last testing needed for FAA certification, the noise tests. This will take place somewhere in the Mohave desert area.

Following this the aircraft should be operating from its home DZ, SkyDance SkyDiving
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.