droplikearock

Landing Accuracy

I am still a newbie at this... but I am having a difficult time with my landing accuracy. I don't have any problems landing safely...I can land in a safe area and usually standing...however, when I pick out a target to aim for...it all goes to he** I either come up short of my target or go way long. What can I do to improve my accuracy? (Other than practice)

Bit of a hard question for me to answer in words,but here goes anyway!
Basically,when say fly you canopy on full drive,keeping the same heading you may or maynot notice a point on the ground ahead of you that dosn't move.
Once you discover this point,you'll find you can move it[change its location]with left or right toggle inputs,eventually you'll be able to move this point to your desired target and that point is where you're going to land!
I sincerely hope this helps..
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Trigger has already told you about the accuracy trick. But one other area which helps with your accuracy is being able to read the winds. In low to moderate winds you will likely need to fly your pattern the way you've always flown it. But in fairly high winds, you will want to shorten up your downwind leg. You can also improve your accuracy by using the accuracy trick while flying your base leg (basically waiting for the right moment to turn final assuming traffic permits you to do this).

A few other tricks:

If you feel you will land long you can do one of two things:

1) Sit in half breaks and sort of sink it in. But be careful not to sink it in the entire way. You'll want to allow the canopy to return to full flight prior to initiating your flare.

2) If you think you will land long, you can always expedite the affair by using your front risers. But be warned that you will be adding both extra vertical and horizontal speed to your approach which you may or may not be comfortable with.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

1) Sit in half breaks and sort of sink it in. But be careful not to sink it in the entire way. You'll want to allow the canopy to return to full flight prior to initiating your flare.

Be very careful when you tell people to let up the brakes prior to landing.

droplikearock, talk to your instructors about going into half brakes on final. It is a good skill to have, but it's important that you understand what you're doing. If you decide to let up on the brakes, make sure you do it slowly so the canopy doesn't surge forward, and make sure you have enough altitude to do so, you will lose altitude quickly until the canopy returns to full flight.

Be very careful when you tell people to let up the brakes prior to landing.

Maybe I could have used better words, but I did have some sort of warning. Sinking a canopy in is something I don't like doing unless I have no other options, but it was still worthwhile letting the original poster know about the technique. :)

If you decide to let up on the brakes, make sure you do it slowly so the canopy doesn't surge forward

Good canopy control starts with controlled and subtle harness, riser and toggle steering inputs. Someone who is abrupt with their inputs run the risk of being where they shouldn't be (such as the corner) or in a high speed stall. And let's face it, most of the time (unless they are bad assed and ultra experienced), they are just guessing.

When I first started doing 180 degree front riser hook turns, I was somewhat abrupt with my steering inputs (and found myself in the corner on at least one occasion diving toward Mother Earth faster than I was ready for). But a more experience canopy pilot (who's messed himself up in the past) talked to me about carving my front riser turns. And in that time, my swoop accuracy and approach speeds are mush better than they've ever been. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The "Accuracy Trick" mentioned already in this thread will help you figure out what you're doing once you're on final approach to your target. However, it does nothing to help you on downwind or base.

Take a look at THIS and see if it helps.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I doubt this is of any help, but, do you jump the same type canopy each jump? I can land exacty where I want with a triathlon 220, but, I slide in my landings. With the 260, however, I stand them up beautifully, but, I never land within 150 yards of where I want to. I need to learn what the winds do to my pattern.

but, but, he's a giant chicken!