jumprunner

Company skydiving trip

msg sent to manager:

Ive been talking to a few people a while back, thought it would be really cool to get some people together on a company skydiving trip at Eloy, where Ive been jumping. Skydiving does a lot to bring people together, very good for moral. I talked to Eloy about it and they said they could set all of us up on the same load by bringing in as many instructors as needed.

Sound like a good idea? Its not any time soon, I still have to go through another ground school and AFF-1 jump. Maybe this July 4th weekend.

reply:

Chris,
I don’t think the company can support this type of team outing because of the inherent dangers that skydiving presents. Thanks for the thought.

Anybody got any ideas?

Sorry, I have no words of encouragement because, been there, done that, got the same response.

You are probably gonna have to do this on "non-company" time and dis-associate this outing from the company.

Good luck.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

msg sent to manager:

Ive been talking to a few people a while back, thought it would be really cool to get some people together on a company skydiving trip at Eloy, where Ive been jumping. Skydiving does a lot to bring people together, very good for moral. I talked to Eloy about it and they said they could set all of us up on the same load by bringing in as many instructors as needed.

Sound like a good idea? Its not any time soon, I still have to go through another ground school and AFF-1 jump. Maybe this July 4th weekend.

reply:

Chris,
I don’t think the company can support this type of team outing because of the inherent dangers that skydiving presents. Thanks for the thought.

Anybody got any ideas?

Reply:

Thanks for your concern about inherent dangers. I think that I will not be able to come to the high rise office that you make me work in as the inherent dangers of this are evident in the attacks of 9/11/2001. More people died in the Twin Towers than EVER have died skydiving.

Respectfully,

Soon to be fired.....
[enter name here]

[replyReply:

Thanks for your concern about inherent dangers. I think that I will not be able to come to the high rise office that you make me work in as the inherent dangers of this are evident in the attacks of 9/11/2001. More people died in the Twin Towers than EVER have died skydiving.

Respectfully,

Soon to be fired.....
[enter name here]

:D That was the response I wish I could write, but dont want to start any shit over it. I guess their position is we should all just eat plenty of pizza, stick to golf, build up cholesterol in the arteries and die from a heart attack. As long as it isnt from skydiving...WTF.

Sorry, I have no words of encouragement because, been there, done that, got the same response.

You are probably gonna have to do this on "non-company" time and dis-associate this outing from the company.

Good luck.

Judy

If I could just figure out some way to get past that point, we could get them to pay for it. One guy is already worked up over it:

Awesome! Have you heard back about whether or not he'd go for it? I can't afford skydiving anytime in the near future (too many other things I want to spend money on ;-) but I'd sure love to go!

Yeah, I tried this too. The difference is that the CEO's father's secretary died in a skydiving accident. His response was a resounding, "Hell, no."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Yeah, I tried this too. The difference is that the CEO's father's secretary died in a skydiving accident. His response was a resounding, "Hell, no."

From here it sounds more like a liability issue, ie someone may sue the company if they get hurt skydiving. And you know what the dzs release forms are like.

From this perspective, things like paragliding, hang gliding, anything that can cause an injury is pretty much out. They were going to sponsor this stupid paint ball event but cancelled it because "it was too hot outside".

Im just thinking if there's a way to get around it so I wrote Eloy to see what they say.

Just organize it yourself and leave the boss out of it. Although doing it now after he said no might not be a good idea. He's just covering his ass. If someone got hurt and it was work sanctioned, there could be liability issues. Someone could say they "felt pressured to go" because the boss sanctioned it.

My first jump was with a group of 10 people from work. Someone just emailed everyone and found out who wanted to go then made the reservations with the dz. (I was the only one to ever go back).

Just organize it yourself and leave the boss out of it. Although doing it now after he said no might not be a good idea. He's just covering his ass. If someone got hurt and it was work sanctioned, there could be liability issues. Someone could say they "felt pressured to go" because the boss sanctioned it.

My first jump was with a group of 10 people from work. Someone just emailed everyone and found out who wanted to go then made the reservations with the dz. (I was the only one to ever go back).

Yea youre probably right about that, it would apply to the entire team under one dept. I did get a group interested of people who have already either skydived or did a static line jump, but they seem to have issues with the money. Like me.

I may bury it and just do that, but havent given up yet. They can have liablility forms like the dz, ie "you can get killed or seriously injured, ect."

I got my boss to do a tandem.
I got to go on the same load too! I had my A by then so I did a rediculous solo exit for his benefit. Too bad I didnt get to see him in the door! We werent allowed to follow tandems out.

He never went back again but I credit him for giving it a shot.
Actually after trying it himself, it cemented the idea even more firmly in his mind that there was something wrong with me :-)

I got my boss to do a tandem.
I got to go on the same load too! I had my A by then so I did a rediculous solo exit for his benefit. Too bad I didnt get to see him in the door! We werent allowed to follow tandems out.

He never went back again but I credit him for giving it a shot.
Actually after trying it himself, it cemented the idea even more firmly in his mind that there was something wrong with me :-)

I can tell you its mostly just being shitloaded with adrenaline which is probably what happened to him, not a very comfortable feeling. I dont like it but Ill tell you what I did, next time I had a doctors appointment, I told him I have a problem with getting too nervous when I jump out of airplanes.:D

That was a good laugh, but he took it seriously, said that Im releasing all my adrenaline at once and thats whats causing it, then have me some pills to stop adrenaline release. Found out he used to jump when he was in the Army, so he must know the cure!

First time I ever went skydiving was a tandem outing with my boss and a few others. She hasn't been back since, but does have a photo of herself in freefall on her desk.

Still asks me how it's going, some times... I tell her I need a raise [:/]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Actually, I just went on a skydiving trip with my company last week. Everyone was so sick of hearing me talk about it that they all signed up. Basically, I just took the money my boss alotted for a staff party and split it between everyone. Each person paid the rest. I will say that it's important not to pressure people though. Obviously, this isn't for everyone. (Observer rides can be fun for those not crazy enough to actually jump out of the plane.)

I was actually really worried someone would get hurt - but everything worked out fine, and I can attest to the fact that it bonded us. Plus, now we have cool pictures to put on our walls at work!

Oh, and I'm sure there's some way to work around the libility worries - but there's really no convincing your boss it's a good idea if he really hates it though.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

Actually, I just went on a skydiving trip with my company last week. Everyone was so sick of hearing me talk about it that they all signed up. Basically, I just took the money my boss alotted for a staff party and split it between everyone. Each person paid the rest. I will say that it's important not to pressure people though. Obviously, this isn't for everyone. (Observer rides can be fun for those not crazy enough to actually jump out of the plane.)

I was actually really worried someone would get hurt - but everything worked out fine, and I can attest to the fact that it bonded us. Plus, now we have cool pictures to put on our walls at work!

Oh, and I'm sure there's some way to work around the libility worries - but there's really no convincing your boss it's a good idea if he really hates it though.

Gale

I just talked to him about it yesterday, its not that he hates it or anything like that, but is afraid that if someone gets hurt they may blame it on the company, since it would be a company function. I thought about it, and he's right, you never know what people are going to try to do, if someone gets hurt they may get their lawyer and create a really bad situation.

This is what Im afraid of, if there is a lawsuit, the word "skydiving" in any court would have a pretty strong impact for the person sueing. A scene like this would do little to bring people together and would be pretty embarrasing for everyone. You just dont know what people are going to do, and thats what he's afraid of.

He did say it was perfectly okay for me to organize a skydiving trip with people in the company, just as long as their not paying for it which would make it a company function.

As for me, I may be putting it on the backburner till this fall so I can focus on surfing, surf season comes and goes, and when it closes out it stays that way till June of next year. Looks like I only have enough time for 4 or 5 trips, not much, may have to do some of this shit on the weekends. Thats rough.

Thats what I like about skydiving, doesnt eat up any of your vacation time.