JamesNahikian

Landing Technique

I was taught to keep my arms in front of my torso at all times while surfing the turf, with the possible exception of preplanned distance record attempts. I observe page 12 of the July 2003 Parachutist, lower left corner, displays a photograph of turf surfer whose arms are placed behind his torso. Where do you position your arms during landing, and why, assuming you believe this matters?

D. James Nahikian
Chicago

When swooping, flaring to the rear, behind the torso, gives you "free" rear riser input (so long as you do not use triple risers). As your hands pull rearward, they change the angle that the control lines go through the guide rings, thus putting tension on them. Tension to the rear deflects the rear risers without the hassle of having to transfer to them and possibly miss them during that transition.

Chuck

It's hard to say more that what SkymonkeyOne just said (how can you ignore someone who's on the Pro Swoop Tour). And if you watch any of the world class swoopers, you will see that they start with their arms to their sides and flare with their arms to the rear (for all the reasons why Chuck said to do so). JC Colclasure is one of the few who do so differently (he seems to flare with his arms in front of him elbows bent). But most flare the way that SkymonkeyOne mentioned.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I think its important to know how your flaring and know and feel what your arms are doing as well. I have found from my own experiences that flaring without me watching my toggles sometimes i can get a little off on one side. So i started watching my flare by glancing at my hands and keeping the toggles more even in front of me helped my fare stay straight and level and feel the power of the flare a little better.B|
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

I've always flared in front of me.

I do believe that on the occasions where I landed on my ass/back, had my arms been behind me I would have walked away with a broken wrist at the least rather than
the much more manageable grass stains on the ass end of my jumpsuit

I've always flared in front of me.

I do believe that on the occasions where I landed on my ass/back, had my arms been behind me I would have walked away with a broken wrist at the least rather than
the much more manageable grass stains on the ass end of my jumpsuit

It's my feeling (waiting for the more experienced to step in) that you should be leaning forward into your fully expanded chest strap at flare time and that you shouldn't be leaning back and risk landing on your tail bone. But that's just me (trying to emulate the Clint Clawson's of the world). :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have always flared with my hands slightly out in front of me but more out to the side. It makes sense to me that flaring behind you would have the effect of adding rear risers to the equation without having to actually transition to them. I am just adding things in one thing at a time, such as loosened chest strap, different slider configurations, braked approach before a front riser turn, finishing on double fronts, etc... I guess I haven't tried the flaring behind me thing yet.

When swooping, flaring to the rear, behind the torso, gives you "free" rear riser input (so long as you do not use triple risers). As your hands pull rearward, they change the angle that the control lines go through the guide rings, thus putting tension on them. Tension to the rear deflects the rear risers without the hassle of having to transfer to them and possibly miss them during that transition.

Chuck

Spoken like a poet. I can't say it better, except to say that I will still occasionally use arms to the side (not so much arms in front). I think arms behind you, going for that "free" riser input, IS more difficult to balance. Basically you learn them all and then you have many different ways to control your canopy for different speeds and conditions of landings.

I'm not sure where my arms are during my flare. If pressed, I'd say to my side, or slightly in front.

I've recently changed my flare style in response to some canopy tutoring.

During the actual ride down the landing my arms go all over the place, but I'm still experimenting, so...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

My arms are usually along side my torso- but depends on what I need to do. I always go for the disk....sometimes I need a little extra on the rear risers if I come up a little short, and sometimes I need front risers or a little brakes....so, it all depends on what I need to do at that moment in time.