has anyone jumped a microlight?

I agree with your rant in principle. BASE is not skyding, and vice versa. I'd agree that 99% of the time, jumping from airplanes is not BASE. I do think this is one example of where it is, though.

To stick rigidly to the acronym is silly. Is jumping from a commercial bungee tower not very similar to an Antenae? Likewise, is jumping a crane also not BASE?

_Am

Wrong, wrong, wrong...we're not sticking to an acronym. BASE jumping is FIXED OBJECT jumping, no matter what type of AIRCRAFT it is, its not a fixed object jump, no matter what altitude or airspeed. Its a SIMPLE concept to grasp, skydiving is skydiving, BASE is Fixed Object Jumping.
Yes, commercial bungee towers can be A's, crane's, I believe as I have not jumped one personally, fall into the same catagory as some smokestacks, and any OTHER type of FIXED object that doesn't fit into the criteria of B A S E Hence why some BASE logbooks contain a catagory for O's
If you search some BASE forums, you will find out how we define object types, however I can assure you, we don't BASE from aircraft, EVER.
Thanks
Blair

There are more differences in the two activities than there are similarities, and because of this the equipment and techniques involved are dramatically different. I am a large advocate for using BASE specific equipment on BASE jumps and sport rigs for skydives.

Ok, so since according to your definition, a jump from a microlight at 300' is a skydive not base, this guy should have been using standard skydiving gear and not a base rig for a jump from 300'???

If you search some BASE forums, you will find out how we define object types, however I can assure you, we don't BASE from aircraft, EVER.

Other then simply being pedantic, is there any reason for this?

To someone who really doesn't give a horses ass either way about the argument, it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

Using base gear, jumping from a very low altitude, into mostly still air... it seems pretty clear to me. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Let's just call it a LAHP--low altitude hop-n-pop. ;) It's certainly not a BASE jump tho--just the proper choice of equipment.

I do wonder what a jump from a parasail would be classified. It is technically attached to the surface of the earth, although it is not fixed by any means other than to the axis of the attachment point.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

ijumped a rans s-7 over the fourth of july. it is a registered homebuilt but it is in the "very lightweight" class... holds two people and is all aluminum tubing and plastic skin... exit speed was close to 35-40 knots and it was slow!!!!!!!!! very cool to jump from!!!!

The question is...does anybody want to jump a microlight??? PM me...

-----------------------------------------------------------

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!