crosscountry

AFF level 3

Well, started AFF about a month and half ago and i must say, skydiving is by far the most enjoyable thing i have ever done (quite addictive too). I made it through levels 1 and 2 with no problems. This past week i went out to do my level 3 and ran in to a few problems. When the jumpmasters let me go i started turning to the left. I was calm, and tried to correct it but could not. The turning was very slow...so i just thought to myself arch, arch! the turning slowed but i still could not remain stable. All this time i was too concentrated on trying to get stable that i lost altitude awareness...then i looked over at my jumpmaster and she was giving me a death stare...then i looked at my altimeter and i was already at 5,000....i immediately waved off and pulled! the landing went good, but i was real frustrated with myself for losing my alt awareness and not being able to stop that turning.

anyway, jumpmaster thought it wasa good idea to repeat level 3, i agreed, and we headed back up, this time with only 1 jumpmaster. exit went good, and once again, when the jumpmasters let me go i started turning to the left...tried to correct and this time i think i over corrected and started wobbling a little bit....still couldn't stay stable....locked on at 6000, and pulled at 5500....

ok, now it gets interesting. checked my canopy, everything looked good. now...my past 3 jumps i have had no trouble finding the landing zone, but this time i couldnt find it for the life of me....but i stayed calm...figuring the guy on the radio would guide me in....so...im cruising along....and i dont hear anything on the radio....i'm like...hmm, this is wierd. now i'm about 1500 up and still cannot find the landing zone!....so, i figure just find an open field and follow my landing procedures....finally someone comes on the radio and says, "alright john, make sure the sun is to your left and just find an open field." i'm like, well...ok...here we go....so....im coming down...plenty of open space...and i start to get low....i'd say about 5 seconds before im getting ready to flare...and i see 2 metal poles about 15 feet apart which i couldnt see before....im thinking to myself...oh crap...then i start to see a single barb wire running between them....then i'm really thinking oh crap....but i remember that i am too low to turn so i just gotta do my best.....i land a few feet before the wire and buttslide right into it....the wire hits me along my chest. i'm fine..just a few scratches.....but i have no idea where i am at...so i sit there for a a minute or two thinking, well..they said this could happen...just sit tight and they'll come pick me up....so im sitting there for awhile.....then....i decide to gather up my chute and walk over to the nearest road and wait there. about this time i see the cesna circling above trying to find me.....(i jumped out of a twin otter)...so a few minutes later i see a truck and they pick me up and drive me back to the DZ....i ended up landing about 2 miles away from the DZ. so, guess i'm repeating level 3 one more time. any advice? i guess any landing you can walk away from is a good one ehh?

fyi just bc you landed off doesnt mean you have to repeat the level. I think it happens to beginners a occasionally, still getting used to what exactly the DZ looks like from the air! Just talk to your instructors, I bet if you talk to them about why you had a slight spin left and how you accidentally overcorrected they'll pass you, sounds like you did fine, at least you didnt bust your hard deck! Good luck!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

J,

It either was a bad spot (which I don't think so), or
you lost awareness or fixated while flying your canopy. Don't be to hard on yourself, for you did not panick and made things worse by turning when you saw the posts and the wire. It could have been really bad if you did.

At the Alti you opened, you should have flown your canopy around, if you did not see the DZ, then check around for traffic turn and look for it again.

You did a great job keeping cool under really bad circumstances, learn the area around the DZ so you can find references that can pinpoint you to the DZ, IE Roads, antennas, construction sites, etc...

Blue skies.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Oh, man.. I gotta do Level 3 on Saturday. Last time I was going the wrong way, too, and was corrected. I wonder what it'll be like when they let go of me, it sounds so awesome, tho! Are you at least still having a good time? Even if your failing, it sure sounds like fun! Did you talk to them about it, they said you'd have to repeat it a 3rd time? That seems so harsh:(

Angela.

"any advice?"

Sure!

So. How much freefall time do you have now? Less than 4 min? That's about enough time to learn to boil an egg. Don't be too hard on yourself.:)
When you describe your turn, or your "wobble"... that's not unstable. That's the difference between poor wheel alignment and the car rolling. Relax... it'll come.

As for the landing. where did your instructor go? They'll be open lower than you. If you can't find the DZ, look for other canopies. There must be a few out the otter. Follow them. If you can't see the DZ and you keep heading in the same direction - it won't appear from over the horizon.;)

Good disipline on not making that final turn! Here we teach

1. Open area
2. Level wing (don't turn)
3. Flare for landing
4. Preferably into wind.

Keep going! Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

The problem with turning - This is totally normal. I had the same problem just after passing AFF. Try doing some heel kicks to make sure your legs are level. If one of your legs is a bit lower, you will turn.

But dont worry, it'll come.

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

Any turns you are having is due to unsymetrical body position, this could be 1 leg lower than the other or 1 arm higher or sticking out farther than the other. Your instructor should be able to tell you this.

To stop the turn it is the same as lvl 2 gently push your right hip down if you are turning left or the oposit if you are turning right. Heading control is the major TLO on this dive (alti awareness is still#1)
pick a spot on the ground and fly looking it and your altimeter, normally you will fly where you look.

Hope this helps--remember if you have to repeat a level it is so you will survive your next jump

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid