Kerozene

Tips for making whuffos jump?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

You just don't wake up one day saying "hey let's go spend 250$ for a 50 sec freefall".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

I did..

You really should not bother....You are young in the sport. You think its the best thing in the world, and you want to share it with others....

Others don't care, they think you are nuts, and they wish you would stop pestering them about it.

/quote

Ron's mostly right, but don't miss an opportunity if you see it. There are a lot more people with the ability, guts-wise and physically, who can do it than think they can or want to. I've seen people do other risky stuff and not do this and I am convinced they can. But it's not for everybody.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

To get whuffos interested, you often have to introduce the idea to them from a whuffo perspective.
I have noticed a well-made tandem video has a powerful effect on whuffos.
No less than 5 of my work colleagues now want to jump after watching the tandem video that was made for my boss' daughter.

Therefore, not the documentary-style videos where the entire jump just plays out in real-time with no additional music or effects done. Those seem dull to whuffos and often just downright scarey.

The tandem video that was done was more like a music video, set to currently popular pop/rock tunes that changed with the mood and stage of the jump sequence (gearing up, plane ride up, exit & freefall, canopy & landing.)
The video included both slow-motion and real-time footage of the freefall stage, aswell as a two sequences of 'reverse-spooling' for the jump exit and canopy landing. Looked really professional and polished. Whuffos took the bait.

I totally agree with metalslug. I wont force or try to persuade anyone to try skydiving. I would just show them well made vids and let them make their own choice. Skydiving isnt for everyone.

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

I dont understand. I get get people all excited about it, and when they're still a bit worried, I reasure them by telling them that Ill pack their chute for them..

For some reason none of them want to do it after Ive said that :D

Thanks for the tips

Please don't write anything more on "not forcing them" or "lying about security".

I was not going to "force them" (physically or by harassment). I was simply joking...

As for security, it is certain that this sport is dangerous and that there is a death probability...Like scuba diving, hang gliding or ultra light airplanes. So why not jump...! But people don't listen to statistics and I think it is a very good thing. Statistics can be twisted into lies and your brain doesn't freaking care about the statistics when the door opens for the first time.
(Sorry for the "going down with the chute is safer than landing with the airplane", I was mislead by someone).

However, what I meant is, for a one-time tandem jumper, the probability of death seems remote. I'm not saying "hurray skydiving is safe, I don't need to make my rig checks anymore B|".

I'm talking about people that are interested, and are asking me questions, but won't make the trip to the DZ when it is time.

Thanks for the tip about the video, I'll try to get one from my DZ.

"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil gets angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset....people DIE!!!"

Statistics can be twisted into lies and your brain doesn't freaking care about the statistics when the door opens for the first time.

This is often said by people who don't understand statistics.

However, what I meant is, for a one-time tandem jumper, the probability of death seems remote.

What are you basing this on? Statistics?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

The statistics themselves don't lie. The conclusions you make from them can... Don't worry about my maths skills, university courses made me sufferB|.

For the "remote casualties" for the tandem, I read a report (2001 or 2000, sorry for not remembering the year) showing about 30 deaths in the USA for one year. None of them, if I remember correctly, was a tandem jump.

Now I can see the flames coming. Of course, the people dying are people that are taking the risk many times. So maybe the probability of dying in one jump is the same then for the one-time tandem jumper.

Anyway, more tips anyone? Let's try to keep this thread about tips and prevent it from degenerating into a big statistical debate. If you want to discuss about statistics, let's start a new forum thread in the safety section. I would gladly learn more about skydiving statistics, hoping I won't become one.

"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil gets angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset....people DIE!!!"

Anyway, more tips anyone? Let's try to keep this thread about tips and prevent it from degenerating into a
big statistical debate.

The answer is simple. Let people know you jump. If they are interested, they will ask more.

Answer them HONESTLY. Offer to take them to the DZ to just watch.

But don't nag, or pester....They will or they will not.

I have several friends, and a few family members that will never jump.

As a joke I asked one of my buddies how many more jumps do I have to do for him to let me take him on a tandem....He asked how many I had, I told him 3,000...He said "10,000".

I bet when I get to 10,000 he will still not go.

Don't push them or you will lose friends. You will be known not only as the nut that jumps from airplanes, but also the nut that will not shut the fuck up about it.

People will resent you, or at least avoid you.

Listen to me or not....I really don't care, and you are going to do what you want anyway.

However, I have been where you are, and seen it MANY more times over the last 10 years....I know you think you have come accross the best sport and the coolest thing in the world...Some don't agree. Don't force the issue.

Just offer to help if they ask...But don't try to be a recruiter...What do you think of Army recruiters?....Ya hate them right?...Well don't become a skydiving one.

Of course you will ignore me and do what you want. But in 5 years you will think different.

I skydive for me, and quite frankly don't care what you, anyone else or any Whuffo thinks about it.

Most people could care less you are a skydiver.

Most people don't get it, and you could not make them understand in a 100 years.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just offer to help if they ask...But don't try to be a recruiter...What do you think of Army recruiters?....Ya hate them right?...Well don't become a skydiving one.

Good comparison with the army recruiter :)
Is it possible to close the thread now?

Ah.....nope!

These things tend to live a long time.

Besides where are the post whores gonna go?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

No way!

I feel sad for the wuffos...

Why? The majority of the whuffos don't care about skydiving and never will. They don't need it to make them happy. There's nothing wrong with that, nothing at all.

-
Jim

For the "remote casualties" for the tandem, I read a report (2001 or 2000, sorry for not remembering the year) showing about 30 deaths in the USA for one year. None of them, if I remember correctly, was a tandem jump.

If I'm not mistaken there has been at least one significant injury or death on a tandem skydive each year for the last 3 years. Am I mistaken?

-
Jim

Big waste of time trying to "Convince." Them that's going to do it - will. Guide them when approached. Can't tell you how much breath is wasted on those who want to do it versus those who will.

I had one talking shit for about a year and a half. Finally gave her a free tandem... No show.

I'm going to be the next president of my school's skydiving club, and aside from maybe half a dozen of us or so that are jump regularly and hang out all the time, we look to promote it to whuffos at our school.

The main things we do are answer questions as best we can, make information available, help provide transportation to the dropzone, and provide encouragement for those who want to go through the whole student progression.

Really we are looking for people who know skydiving is out there, have a feeling the want to try it and/or take it up as a hobby, but don't have any of the details.

In a college town it's not hard to find people who do actually want to try skydiving, but you can take three guesses as to the first and most popular question we get...

I personally think that there is no need to actively try to convince whuffo's to make a jump because the majority of them will not do it anyway. I used to scream to the whole world about skydiving after I passed AFF and got my A license. Now I try to avoid talking about skydiving in public places (especially with new people). When you start taking skydiving seriously you realize that learning and physical and mental training never stops. Talking to whuffo's about jumping is basically answering the set of the same questions over and over again, which I personally find a little annoying. Wait until you get 100 jumps and will probably feel the same ;)

I used to try and get my whuffo friends to start skydiving - I guess mostly for selfish reasons because I know it would be so much fun to jump with them! ;) But after and having a few friends who got busted up pretty bad and a couple who were killed, I now don't try to convince anyone to even do so much as a tandem because, realistically, skydiving is not that safe... Now if they were to decide on their own that they wanted to try it, I would be happy and supportive of course ;) but I don't think it's a good idea to try and talk people you care about into participating in such a risky activity if they're not really interested... Just my two cents. :)