kelel01

When to learn to pack

Ditto on BOTH!!!!

Lost dollars that oculd be spent jumping....

I've just completed AFF Level V and had my intro to packing, will pack my first this weekend. I hope to pack and fly it very soon...

My main thing is, if it's gonna mal, then it'll be my fault. I wanna know what's in my bag when I throw out!!!!

It's odd to continue jumping out of a plane, with a device we know nothing about, with a chute in it we don't even know how it got stuffed...

Isn't it?

Could just be me though....

jjf

it's a gas
It's a gas, gas, gas...

You should start packing when you can continue packing.

If your DZ isn't too busy, you might be able to pack the rigs you jump so now might be a fine time. If there's too much of a backlog, you might wait until you buy a rig. If they need packers and you want to finance your habbit, last year would have been even better than now.

I definitely think it's weird not having even the tiniest concept of what the heck is going on inside my rig. And I have only very minimal knowledge of the names of the parts-- risers, suspension lines, canopy . . . well, that's about it. (Not quite, but you know what I mean). I'm going to call my dz and see when the next packing class is. Scary!! I will definitely wet myself when I jump it for the first time. I'll just take an extra pair of pants.:)
Kelly

I definitely think it's weird not having even the tiniest concept of what the heck is going on inside my rig. And I have only very minimal knowledge of the names of the parts-- risers, suspension lines, canopy . . . well, that's about it. (Not quite, but you know what I mean). I'm going to call my dz and see when the next packing class is. Scary!! I will definitely wet myself when I jump it for the first time. I'll just take an extra pair of pants.:)
Kelly

MOST DEFINITLY!!!!

I'm wearin a diaper on my first pack/jump!

However, you know if it's crap, at least it's crap that you created!!!

lol

blues,

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I am taking the packing class on Thursday I have 13 jumps under my belt. I don't know the first thing about packing and I am kinda scared to pack my own and jump. It sucks waiting around for somebody to pack your rig. I know I could of made 10 loads in a day if I knew how to pack instead of 2 :S

That first time you jump your own pack job is a real heart pounder. Don't worry though, you'll do just fine. Nobody is going to let you pack your rig poorly, especially if you are taking a class on packing at your DZ. You might get asked to start over a few times, just to make sure there are no problems, but you'll do fine. On the way up, try and forget you packed it yourself, and just imagine a professional packed it...because that will be true before too long. ;)
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

it was the LAST thing to do on my card. i jumped my own pack on jump 27. i my card just about done like a month ago, and took a class at my dz a week ago to pack it and disassemble it. i wasnt sure a class was coming, so i went up on slow days and watched, asked questions, etc. the day after our class i packed and jumped it. we had to learn to flat pack first, but if you are allowed to PRO pack first, Performance Designs can send you a video TO HELP you learn. send them an email saying you bought a used chute, and you want the owners manual - they send you that and a video to boot.:ph34r:

I made the same mistake...you should have learnt already mate. I found it really frustrating when all I needed for my A was a packing signature. Typically the weather was glorious, the DZ was f**king busy and I was having to find someone to teach me to pack, help me through it, and then sign me off...worst of all I was stuck in a dark hanger while all my friens were notching up 5/6 jumps a day (I needed my A in a hurry as I was leaving the country). I really wished I'd got it out the way on one of those rainy/windy/cloudy days we all love so much!

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

I am taking the packing class on Thursday I have 13 jumps under my belt. I don't know the first thing about packing and I am kinda scared to pack my own and jump. It sucks waiting around for somebody to pack your rig. I know I could of made 10 loads in a day if I knew how to pack instead of 2 :S

I have also 13 jumps, but we had to start packing after second jump.
Now I pretty much know the routine, but it still takes too damn long to pack and I only dream about making 10 jumps a day.
But don't want to rush it, 'cos I have to jump with it...

Packing scared me more than jumping. I blew it off as long as I could. Oh, sure, I got through that one pack job for my A licence, but vowed to never pack again.

Rationalization #1: "This is borrowed gear. What if it put a line burn in it?"

Rationalization #2: "My new canopy is just too darn slippery to pack".

Then I joined a team: "There's not enough time to de-brief, pre-brief, pack and make the load".

Then I started to feel guilty.

I was qualified for my "C" licence, but couldn't, in good conscience, apply for it. :$

Plus, my friends wanted to visit smaller DZ's in the area that didn't have packers. I was too embarassed to go. How stupid is that?

No. All REAL skydivers can pack.

So I re-learned. Fed a buddy beer after beer to watch/ teach me to pack. Practiced every night for a while until I got comfortable with it.

Since then I've packed every jump. Never looked back.

I kinda even like it.:)
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Man, I only dream of when i'll actually enjoy packing. I almost killed myself trying to pack at the dz last wknd, and always ended up with some kinda help putting the damn thing in the bag.

For the last 2 nights at home i've been struggling to put a 150sf sabre II in a d-bag for a 135 canopy. I know it can be done, just not by me just yet (at least not in a way i'm comfortable jumping it, i'm not jumping the one I packed last night, lol!). I'll be trying again for another hour when I get home tonight.

I sure pray i'll get it down soon. It was a lot easier to psycho pack the 150 into a d-bag for a 170, i'm sure struggling now:(

Angela.

Learn to pack, learn to spot, it's all very good and I'm sure there's other things people used to do that today some don't because of big DZs, etc.

Another thing to help learn how the rig is organized (and also to create frustration) is to get a really messed up student rig right after the student gets down and throws it in a pile and untangle it. You'll learn a lot about how the lines, risers, pack, etc all line up and go together.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Man, I only dream of when i'll actually enjoy packing.

I find it calming. I pack first thing after the jump- I don't talk to people. I don't watch the tape. I think about the jump and I pack.

Once done, I know it's ready and right. I know how tight my pin is and whether it's time to replace the closing loop. Too many times I've been hovering over a packer at a 2 minute call... teamates yelling at me to hurry to the mock up. Running to the plane threading my chest strap. Never again. That stress I do not need... and now, do not have.

Angela, has someone showed you the trick about only putting two folds into the canopy, bagging it, then folding the rest in?

Makes it a little easier.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Angela, has someone showed you the trick about only putting two folds into the canopy, bagging it, then folding the rest in?

Yeah, I think so. I just have a really hard time with it anyhow. So, you're talking just fold up half of it and stuff it in, then fold the rest in there, right? I'll try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

I wish I found packing calming. I find it frusterating and at times I just want to throw the mess in a bag and head home instead of repacking for the next load. :( I hope that changes soon.

thx!
angela.