thechad

Information on skydiving related injuries

Again, what are you specifically looking for; fatalities per year, fatalities per skydive, number of broken bones . . .

Some things do and some things do not exist. If you tell us specifically what you're researching we can help point you in the right direction.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Not really trying to put anyone in line, just trying to understand the usage to better serve you.

For information on the safety of skydiving for general consumption please go to http://uspa.org/about/page2/relative_safety.htm.

This page will give you the reported fatalities in the US for years going back to 1992. However, this does little to tell you fatalities per 10,000 jumps. That number could ONLY be very roughly estimated at best as there is no requirement for any drop zone to report how many skydives are many each year.

Beyond that, there are a number of other statistical issues that mean that comparing skydiving to any other activity to see which is more "dangerous" is simply a meaningless excercise.
quade -

I was specifically trying to avoid bringing up that site.

It goes into details that are generally not well understood by people other than skydivers and I'm not really sure that he's currently equipped to answer the questions his friends might have after showing it to them. That site is not a site to be taken lightly, it is not simply another "Darwin Awards" sight to be gawked at by non-skydivers.

Further, and I'm NOT saying this is the case with "The Chad", but not everyone that comes on dropzone.com looking for information like this is a friend to skydiving. Sure they could find this information themselves by doing a simple search on Google, but as the years have gone by, I see no reason to help them out too much -- especially when so much of what -can- be found is of a fairly sensitive nature.
quade -

True, however he is a skydiver.

I got the impression he is not aware of the site and thought that even if it doesn't help him with his co-workers, it would be good for him to know about.

Sorry if the link is inappropriate. It's just that I found the site important for my education, and wanted to pass it along to a fellow newb.

Chad, if you are doing research, be sure to include statistics of OTHER sports as well. For instance, I am sure that your school supports Football, track and other activities. In our area, we had a marathon. Hot day, one man died running the marathon, one died watching. DANGEROUS SPORT! Do not run or WATCH track, it can be deadly! I also point out that on the day that Dale Earnhardt died, he was one of a VERY LIMITED number of people allowed on that track. He was one of the MOST experienced and highly trained.
btw, how can they ask for previous years funding back? Not funding you into the future could be something entirely different.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Thank you for the concern. Maybe I should have re-phased my reason for needing the information. To make a long story short I am taking a group of coworkers out to the dropzone for their first tandem. One coworker wanted the numbers before she would decided if she wanted to go or not. She did realize that there are not numbers on successful skydives and realizes that dangers are inherent with any physical sport.
The Chad

on www.howstufworks.com they give you a good intro into how skydiving works that your co-workers will be comforted by (its fairly accurate) and give some stats.

They figure you have to do 17 skydives or more per year to equal the risk of riding in a car. I dont believe this stat to be correct (I think its a far higher # of skydives) but it will comfort the average wuffo.

Have a look at this adress:
http://www.afn.org/skydive/sta/stats.html

Unfortunately, most of the statistics on that page are dated by at least 10 years and dubious at best when it comes to their accuracy and reliability in comparing the "safety" of one activity over another.
quade -

Personally, I am against the idea of trying to show statistics to any whuffo. Q, I think you were avoiding saying this.

The stats don't matter. Skydiving is dangerous. If people stay in the sport long enough, they will probably break something.

Here is the way to figure that out... think of all the people that you know with more than 5 years in sport. How many of them have metal? There is the statistic.

Fatalities are rare, but breakage is high. There is nowhere to get accurate stats on that because it is rarely reported.

Skydiving is dangerous. Either your friend wants to go or doesn't. Don't talk them into it.

Thank you for your input. I agree with you to a certain point. She found the numbers on here own and has realized that fatalities are low but also seen that injuries are possible. She is a "number" person and that is the only reason that I wanted to provide the numbers to her.

PS She does want to attend now that she has done a little research
The Chad

I'm not sure if this site will help you prove any point to your coworkers. But it is nonetheless an important site IMO.

http://www.skydivingfatalities.info/

That link is wrong I think... for me anyway. Try this: http://www.skydivingfatalities.com/.

And anyone know why this is no longer being updated? The last entry is May 2002 (???). Thanks

Personally, I am against the idea of trying to show statistics to any whuffo. Q, I think you were avoiding saying this.

The stats don't matter. Skydiving is dangerous. If people stay in the sport long enough, they will probably break something.

Disagree, Bill. Knowledge is power.

Here is the way to figure that out... think of all the people that you know with more than 5 years in sport. How many of them have metal? There is the statistic.

Fatalities are rare, but breakage is high. There is nowhere to get accurate stats on that because it is rarely reported.

Which is a shame - knowledge is power.

Skydiving is dangerous. Either your friend wants to go or doesn't. Don't talk them into it.

Agree on that one.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Here is my problem with showing stats to whuffos. In almost all cases, there is an agenda. It is "Here, look at the statistics... see how safe skydiving is?"

People use fatality statistics to show how few people die when skydiving. Only 30 a year, seems safe, let's all go skydiving.

Death is only part of the picture. Using fatalities to prove safety is misleading. Everyone, with one year in sport, knows a friend with metal in them. Injuries are not tracked like fatalities.

That is why that I am against giving stats to whuffos. They don't paint the true picture. Usually they are used to bolster an incorrect position. Someone is usually trying to convince parents/friends/SO of their personal safety or they are convincing a friend to go with them.

I have to agree, I don't care for spouted fatality numbers or other random statistics that try to convince people one way or the other about skydiving.

I'm the head of the skydiving club at my university. If people ask me if skydiving is dangerous, I tell them it's a hazardous sport, we do everything we can to minimize risk, but at the end of the day, yes, you can get seriously injured or killed.