funks

Skydiving Collisions

We have all heard those stories about freefall collisions causing serious injury and or / death. My question is, how does this happen??? It seems to me that if you cant control your fall rate and speed enough in order to not take someone out in the sky then you shouldnt be jumping with groups? Correct? I usually jump 2-5 way freeflys and we usually collide while attempting docks, however the collisions arent any where near hard enough to even cause a bruise. We then just keep continuing trying to dock...It all seems so harmless while in the sky with a group of people even though we are rocking at 175+mph. Perhaps because we have control.

So once again, how are people managing to hurt other people during freefall????

last weekend we had a track jump and I crossed a guy at 90 degrees... I was in the good direction, he got lost a bit due to not very good visibility... at a few meters, it would have been a great shock, minimum 2 cypresses I guess...
shit happens
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

You are only mentioning horizontal collisions. Even though these are potentially dangerous, the majority of injuries in freefall that I have heard about are due to vertical speed collisions, probably caused by corking. This is something you probably already knew but I thought I would bring it up.

You are only mentioning horizontal collisions. Even though these are potentially dangerous, the majority of injuries in freefall that I have heard about are due to vertical speed collisions, probably caused by corking. This is something you probably already knew but I thought I would bring it up.

good point about the corking.....once again, guess it gets back to the skill level.

Young pups call it "corking", while old-school belly-flyers call it "stealing your buddy's air."
If you fly close over someone, he will steal your air and you will land on his back, unceremoniously, but rarely hard enough to bruise. By the same token, if you slide under a formation, you will "steal their air" and they will all land on top of you. The ensuing funnel will plenty of profanity, but few bruises.
Hee! Hee!
The real danger - and risk of injury - in freefall collisions occurs when people track with their heads up their a###s ... er, not looking where they are going.

Young pups call it "corking", while old-school belly-flyers call it "stealing your buddy's air."
If you fly close over someone, he will steal your air and you will land on his back, unceremoniously, but rarely hard enough to bruise. By the same token, if you slide under a formation, you will "steal their air" and they will all land on top of you. The ensuing funnel will plenty of profanity, but few bruises.
Hee! Hee!
The real danger - and risk of injury - in freefall collisions occurs when people track with their heads up their a###s ... er, not looking where they are going.

Corking is not the same as flying into someones burble and causing them to "lose air to fly on", so to speak. Since the range of speed in freefly, especially in flyers unaware of their fallrates, is much greater than that of RW, I don't believe the two are comparable in this instance.

I don't agree that the only real danger is tracking into someone else. I have heard of atleast two deaths ( I know there are probably a few more ) caused by vertical freeflying collisions between inexperienced flyers in freefall.

Hee! Hee!

Corking is when a freefly suddenly goes belly to earth or into a position that causes them to dramatically slow their fall rate thus causing them to "pop up" or cork. Dangerous for two reasons, if someone is above, they can collide and two, dangerous at pull time because you dont know where everyone is....

Hee! Hee!

Corking is when a freefly suddenly goes belly to earth or into a position that causes them to dramatically slow their fall rate thus causing them to "pop up" or cork. Dangerous for two reasons, if someone is above, they can collide and two, dangerous at pull time because you dont know where everyone is....

This is absolutely right but he was trying to relate corking to something very different and much less dangerous.

Simple example. Me and my buddy, both very inexperienced, go out for a sit jump. I end up underneath him for any of a multitude of reasons. He punches his heels down to catch up to me too hard and comes rocketing down. I see him go straight for me, panic, and cork. BOOM.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Corking is when a freefly suddenly goes belly to earth or into a position that causes them to dramatically slow their fall rate thus causing them to "pop up" or cork.

Ahh, I finally understand why the word cork is used. :) The first time I heard it I thought the people were saying "torque". Heh...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com