mailin

Hit a snag: FAA Class 3 medical clearance

Get a note from your doctor stating he believes you are medically fit to skydive. Find a DZ that'll accept it. Even if you could get a waiver, its ridiculous to have to go through all that to jump out of a plane. In my opinion, if you can drive a car, you should be allowed to skydive. The risk to yourself is probably similar, and the risk to others is MUCH less for skydiving.

Dave

The risk to yourself is probably similar, and the risk to others is MUCH less for skydiving.

Dave

But what about the risk to other skydivers if something should happen? Or to whuffos on the ground should something go wrong and you come in not in control of your canopy? While you may be comfortable with what you are doing to yourself, make sure to take into account what you could be doing to others. Make sure ALL the bases are covered.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

I don't see what the deal is. I've seen plenty of people deal with a AICD. The only time it goes off is if there is a rythem going on that it's set to recognize. Do you carry a magnet with you to reset it when it goes off?Of all the people that I've seen over the years with one, when it went off they wanted to go to the hosp to reset it since they didn't carry thier magnet on vacation with them. When I was working in Denver on a ambulance we had one on the trucks to reset them. I don't see why you would have a problem jumping with a AICD.

It is a non-issue, medically. But these devices are not fool proof. Things can go wrong with it, just as any electrical piece of equipment - and it may just be a fluke thing. The chances of me having to use it are very slim - but if anything does happen I die. Such is the nature of the disorder I have, but I have never shown that I am in a high risk category, it is becuase I am in ANY category with this disorder that I have an ICD. But like any electrical piece of equipment there is always the chance of failure, and more often than not it is not becuase of a medical issue.

I'd be happy to find NUMEROUS studies for you if you are interested.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

In my opinion, if you can drive a car, you should be allowed to skydive

I am of the same opinion - but am not the one making the decision, unfortunately.

There have never been any restrictions placed on me becuase of my ICD. As a matter of fact most of the time I forget I have one, which is a good thing.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

But what about the risk to other skydivers if something should happen? Or to whuffos on the ground should something go wrong and you come in not in control of your canopy? While you may be comfortable with what you are doing to yourself, make sure to take into account what you could be doing to others. Make sure ALL the bases are covered.

That risk is pretty small. This was actually a big decision for my doctor. I spent alot of time talking to him about this. You would have to understand how an arrythmia and ICD work. An arrythmia is detected and the ICD fires a shock, all of which happens in miliseconds (depending on how full the battery is). You may/may not lose consciousness in the time period between detection and shock. When the shock is received, you regain consciousness practically instantly.

I would equate this to a real hard opening. You can get hurt and pretty dazed during one of those, making it harder for you to control the canopy and a risk to others on the ground.

What makes my situation unique is that I am so young. I will have a higher 'tolerance' for losing consciousness and will regain it faster than someone who is 69 years old, with a mirad of problems. I don't have any problems. Because the condition I have is so rare, I've been waiting 2 years for genetic testing to determine which type of this condition I have. When that is determined it will be easier for me to defend myself - but as with all medical sciences, they don't have the answers.

My doctor does not believe I am a risk to myself or other divers - and it should be good enough. But I'm finding myself having to explain this not only to all of you, but now to the DZO - which I don't mind doing, but would think that a letter from a professional would do.

Sorry for getting snippy, I'm just frustrated.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

Do you carry a magnet with you to reset it when it goes off?

No.

Frequently elderly people with ICDs have many other heart problems. These problems can cause rhythm disturbances that can fool the ICD. Unforutnately these devices have many algorithms stored in them for a variety of detection standards, which can get confused by arrythmias that are not troublesome or do not need a shock. That is frequently the reason that many elderly people would need to carry a magnet - its becuase the device keeps firing and keeps firing, and it doesn't need to. The magnet turns off the shocking part of the device, doesn't reset it (which should only be done under medical supervision anyway). The magnet is like putting a mask on the ICD - it makes it so it can't 'see'. As soon as the magnet is removed, it 'sees' fine and would go back to shocking you.

The condition I have only makes me suseptable to ONE type of arrythmia - so if the device fires it is becuase it is needed to.

When I first got this 3 years ago, they set the device to fire if my heart rate got over 180 bpm. Well.... for a 60 year old that would be REALLY high - but for a 20 year old, its very normal. So during an aerobics class it fired - not becuase I needed it, but becuase the algoithms read a heart rate over 180 bpm as being harmful. So I got shocked 6 times, needlessly (now the device is set to 220). But what I am thankfull about is that I know what a shock feels like and I am now aware of how to handle it if it does happen. Its kinda wierd, but I didn't even know what happened for the first 2 shocks becuase it happened so quick - it was only on the 3rd one that I sat down. But I'm not kidding - the entire event took about 20 seconds. I was super upset with my doctor - cause then the Y wouldn't let me go back and do aerobics there, and it wasn't even my fault! >:(

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

ha!

Just got off the phone with some district manager...

I have an ICD - automatically disqualified - no questions asked, no waivers given.

Get that in writing. Write to them explaining your specific situation. If the answer is still no, fair enough, but get that in writing not just off the phone. A written answer will stimulate the most accurate response possible as it can be proved they said it. Also ask what the reason for the exclusion is.

If you cant jump anywhere because of this condition and none of the ideas already highlighted to you, consider making an application to the FAA for them to consider an amendment for this specific situation. There must be periodic amendments - get a letter from your doctor stating that its ok becuase of your specific situation.

As you have already asked for the reason for the exclusion, you can ask your doctor to adress their concerns. I know your probably going to get responses saying that changing FAA is a long proc and a pain, but its worth a shot.

As you have already asked for the reason for the exclusion, you can ask your doctor to adress their concerns. I know your probably going to get responses saying that changing FAA is a long proc and a pain, but its worth a shot.

Ya, thats what I'm going to do. I'm doing my best to get all my records in order now and I'll bring everything with me when I see the FAA dr. on friday. Then at least I can get the ball rolling a little bit faster. In the mean time I'll try to find a DZ that will take me without the medical clearance - but I'm not sure how easy that will be.

Thanks for the info!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

Talk with the people at the dz again. Let them know that you tried but were denied because of an FAA rule. If they refuse to let you jump without an FAA medical try a different dz. Keep trying until you've run out of dz's to call.

Dont even tell people about it. If your doctor feels the risk is minimal and you fell good about it and you want to jump, go do it and dont mention the pacemaker.

This isnt lying, its getting around a stupid rule that shouldnt apply to you.

Ya know, thats sound like a really good idea.

I just got off the phone with my doctor. I'm trying to gather information for this appt. on Friday. The problem is that I'm very limited in who I can see for this problem and was previously seeing someone in Boston. That doctor was killed by an irate staff member a few months ago (end of May), and his patients records were transfered to someone else. I wasn't his patient at the time, transfered to someone here in Providence, so I wasn't notified of who has my records now and trying to find them is going to be VERY difficult. My doctor agreed that this is a HUGE hassle and questioned if I really wanted to go through with it. Yes, I do. I want to jump - why should this hold me back? I don't get it...

So I'm left trying to figure out if I want to keep going with this clearance or not. I carry Medic Alert on me at all times - have a bracelet that I wear too. So if anything was to happen to me, I'd have that to identify how medical pesonnel should proceed. And that chance of that is pretty slim anyway...

On the bright side, Jumptown said they would take me *woo hoo!*, for classes starting in April. Now to figure out what to do until then.
Arianna Frances

On the bright side, Jumptown said they would take me *woo hoo!*, for classes starting in April.

Excellent! I knew you'd find a dz willing to let you jump. :)
imho, honesty on the waiver is the best policy. Many dz's will give the medical information you put there to the responding paramedics when an accident happens. While the Medic Alert bracelet will alert the medics of your implant once they arrive, having the same info on your waiver could let them know about it before they arrive (because it was given to the dispatcher who answered the 911 call).

I wouldn't bother fighting the FAA - I've heard enough horror stories to say that it's likely to be a total waste of your time and money. You've found a dz that will let you jump with the letter from your doctor - you don't need the FAA medical certificate to skydive.

so you have to wait til april for AFF, if I read your posts right....

in the meantime, do some tandems beforehand... your jumpmaster can let you practice canopy skills and some freefall stuff. On my last tandem, we basically did a level 2 skydive, but with the instructor strapped to me instead of holding on. We worked on forward motion and did everything you were supposed to do for level 2. course, it doesn't actually count for level 2, but when I do my lev 2 this weekend, I'll have already gotten some good practice in.

On the bright side, Jumptown said they would take me *woo hoo!*, for classes starting in April. Now to figure out what to do until then.

Cool! Sucks you have to wait until April though. Maybe you should come out some time when you got spare time to waste and get to know everyone, we'd love to meet you!

Blue Skies,
Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Thats just what I"m going to do!

My best friend and her husband live in Sunderland, so this is a good excuse for me to visit them (and perhaps drag them with me :P).

Planning on being out there this weekend? Sunday and Monday are looking good - probably plan on spending the night. With it being a 2.5 hour drive I'm not gonna bother driving home afterwards. I'll make a day of my time there!

Hope to see you there!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

You may want to contact the USPA Regional Director for your area. Her name is Marylou Laughlin. She can ask the board to for a medical waiver for you. You will probably always be required to jump with an AAD if they let you jump.

She may also be able to help you find a dropzone that will accept the note from your doctor.

The contact information for her his listed in Parachutist and on the USPA website but I will PM you with it.

Good luck, I hope you get the opportunity to jump.

Judy.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

2.5 hours from Cranston? Nah we do it in 1hr 30min from Providence (not speeding). So you should be looking at a max of 15 min more. Take 95 N -> 146 N -> 290 W -> 190 N -> Rt2 West then exit 16.

Otherwise you can take 495N to Rt2 W to exit 16.

Both take the same amount of time, the 495 way is just about 10 miles longer in distance (but faster road).

Just watch the speed on Rt2 - they trap there a lot.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Sounds good to me - never been up that way actually. Hope the folliage is changing - would look great under canopy!

If you're up there on Sunday I should be there early in the day. I'll be the one in the bright yellow sweatshirt.

Thanks again for everyones support!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances