skipro101

found some bad in skydiving

I've got an idea:
Switch majors...to skydiving. You laugh, but hear me out.

Several years ago while I was in school, and getting loans and grant money to fund my education, some fellow skydivers and I came with a brilliant idea. If the DZ could formulate a several year skydiving course that would say, prepare you to be a professional skydiver, and then get accreditation for the program, you'd be able to major in skydiving. You could get financial aid for it, some kind of degree (ratings, licenses). People do it for airplane pilots, why not skydving?

Imagine getting a state or federal grant to skydive...scholarships too!

-R
You be the king and I'll overthrow your government.

Another way to do this is to get the colleges to take skydiving seriously as a sport. The University of Maryland has just begun giving out scholarships for cheerleading. If you can get a full ride (or hell even just books) for cheerleading I don't think skydiving is a stretch. Especially if you can represent your college in team events.

Ahh to dream.

***m afraid im going to end up like the people who live in trailers at the dz.

Hey, I resemble that remark! So what if ya end up at the DZ. At least you will be happy then. That is why I did it. I love nothing more then being at the DZ. It's good to wake up to the sound of a Twin Otter taking off, or looking out your window to see the sunset load landing (unless I am on it)!!!!!
Dom

Now that I have my liscense and rig... I can't seem to focus on school. I sit here all week reading this site... just waiting for Friday ($14 jumps!) wishing that I had one of those trailers at the DZ. At least then I'd be a little bit closer!

My father is starting to realise that his son will have a BS in Bio put straight towards a career at the DZ living in a trailer! How will I ever be able to explain??????

Oh-well... tomorrow is Friday!;)

Chaps
Carpe diem

im afraid im going to end up like the people who live in trailers at the dz.

I miss the days when I lived in a trailer on the DZ.:(

--Douva
D-22772

Click on the link below to see a picture of my mansion.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

focus on school. finish school. the sky will be there when you're done, I promise!

and school will let you land a good job, which means more $$ for jumping! It will work out better for you in the long run.

I don't know when you graduated school, but everyone I know who's graduating right now is moving back in with their parents and taking entry level positions at jobs that don't require degrees. Personally, I'd rather live in a trailer and save that tuition money for jumps.

Douva
D-22772
;)
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Well, what are they studying? What degree did they acheive? Obviously this is not supposed to be the case, but some people graduate with an AA degree and expect to get an awesome job. Or, they graduate with a bachelors in something that no one gives a shit about, or something that everyone and thier brother is taking because it's fun (ie, art stuff, or something).

Also, entry level jobs in what? In a field that they studied, i'd guess? Isn't that what they wanted to do with thier lives? If they studied Marine Biology, sure they may end up taking a crappy job out of college, but you do it for the love of it. Instead of having a low paying job as an assistant manager at Walmart, they have a low paying job studying microorganisms. I, personally, would rather the second.

Angela.

I finished college in 2000. I stayed with my parents for three months after graduation while I did some temp work and looked for a job, got a job, and moved out with a roommate. Got my own place eight months later. Haven't been back since, except to visit every so often. Every job I've had since I graduated has required a degree, and I'm making more than twice the amount that my friends who dropped out are.

Even if the initial entry level job doesn't require a degree, promotionwise, it can make a difference.

At the moment, I work for the government. The starting salary for someone with a degree is 16,000 higher than someone without a degree. The folks with degrees are put on the management track, while folks without degrees are put on the clerical track.

I have colleagues who are my age, just as capable and intelligent, but because they didn't go to college, they're making quite a bit less than I am, and spending their days answering the phone and filing, while I'm working on presentations for the mayor.

If I stay in my current position, college will have paid for itself in six years, and I went to a private school that is much more expensive than a state school (and paid for it myself by working my ass off.)

My friends who dropped out... they're all saying "I wish I'd stayed in school instead of moving in with three roommates...now I'm stuck in a dead end job and can't afford to quit and go back to school."

Its only a few years, and it can make a huge difference in the rest of your life.

Also, entry level jobs in what? In a field that they studied, i'd guess? Isn't that what they wanted to do with thier lives? If they studied Marine Biology, sure they may end up taking a crappy job out of college, but you do it for the love of it. Instead of having a low paying job as an assistant manager at Walmart, they have a low paying job studying microorganisms. I, personally, would rather the second.

Angela.

The point wasn't what they go the job in (generally not in their field); the point was that the job doesn't require a degree.

--Douva

PS. Most of these people have computer or business degrees (exactly what all the ever-so-helpful guidance counselors were telling them to get when they graduated high school). The only people I know who are putting their degrees to work are people with teaching certificates (always a safe bet).

Maybe they should then seek out those jobs which they focused on getting a degree for. I'm curious as to what they graduated with and can't find a job in their field of study. What degree, BA, BS? What major?

I am planning to get my degree in Physics or Engineering. I don't know many Physicists or Engineers that got in with just a high school education.

:)
angela.

At the moment, I work for the government. The starting salary for someone with a degree is 16,000 higher than someone without a degree. The folks with degrees are put on the management track, while folks without degrees are put on the clerical track.

I have colleagues who are my age, just as capable and intelligent, but because they didn't go to college, they're making quite a bit less than I am, and spending their days answering the phone and filing, while I'm working on presentations for the mayor.

Wow, the mayor, huh? I wasn't trying to start a "merits of college" debate, I just wanted to call the previous poster on her assertion that college will lead to a "well paying" job. People like to throw out a lot of statistics about how much more you're likely to make with a college degree, but these numbers are generally tainted by people living below the poverty level whose problems run a lot deeper than not having a college degree. Here are some numbers I dug up on my own: According to a study commissioned by the Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation, released in January 1998, the lifetime earning difference between college graduates and high school graduates is about $207,000. That's $207,000 over the 47 years most Americans will work (from age 18-65). That comes out to about $4,404 per year more for persons with a college degree. $4,404 will cover a years worth of jumping for most people, so I guess you can call that a substantial sum, if you like, but this premise neglects the roughly $50,000 or so the college graduate spent on their college education. Had that $50,000 be invested at a 10% annual return, the person in question would not have a college degree, but he or she would be earning $5,000 dollars a year from this $50,000 investment. This means that, when you subtract the college graduate's $50,000 from his or her $207,000 of additional income, the high school graduate is actually making $78,000 over a lifetime and $1,660 per year more than the college graduate. Obviously this is all theoretical, but I think it goes a long way toward discrediting the notion that a college degree is either a ticket to success or always the best option. Those of you who are still paying off college loans may now feel free to flame me.

Blue skies,

Douva
D-22772

Maybe they should then seek out those jobs which they focused on getting a degree for. I'm curious as to what they graduated with and can't find a job in their field of study. What degree, BA, BS? What major?

I am planning to get my degree in Physics or Engineering. I don't know many Physicists or Engineers that got in with just a high school education.

:)
angela.

I'm going to try to let this be my last post on the subject because debates on the merits of college are always too emotionally heated, with both sides having too much personally at stake, to be very productive. The degrees my friends can't put to use (and if you don't think they're trying, you're an idealistic fool) range from Bachelor of Science to Master of Business Administration. I'm not encouraging anyone to drop out of college or not go to college. College is a great thing. I'm simply making the highly substantiated argument that a college degree (ANY degree) does not guarantee financial success. Obviously our doctors need to go to college. Obviously our engineers need to go to college. I'm not putting down anybody who chooses college. But if you're killing yourself and breaking your parents trying to get an art degree, you might want to step back and rethink your options.

Blue skies,

Douva

PS. If you're still in college, you're not really qualified to say what people who have already graduated should be doing in their job searches. Perhaps your parents can support you for five or six years, should you have some difficulty finding a job in your chosen field, but most people have to pay bills. They're out of college; they can't afford to be idealistic anymore.

I'm still a believer in getting an education. I think there's more to consider than just the amount of income. I used to work as a timber faller in the woods and probably made as much then as I do now, almost. But there were lot's of days when you were freezing your rear off, sometimes up to your waist in snow, and it is one of the most dangerous jobs anywhere. I could tell lot's of scary stories of dead and injured friends, but I won't go there now. So anyhow whenever I get depressed about my current job, I just think about logging in the winter time and I don't feel so bad. You can't buy a sawing job now, because there isn't much logging going on.

I also worked as a plumber's and pipe-fitter's apprentice. The money was good, but again the working conditions weren't that great. Many of these guys have no families because they are booming all over the country in search of work.

There's lot's of great jobs out there, if you have the "right" college degree. There may be competition to get some of these jobs but, it isn't all doom and gloom for a college graduate. If you plan things out right, I still think it can pay off well by going to college. Just pick the right major.

I know the expense of college today is rediculous. I have two daughters in college now, and I'm hoping things pay off for them.

I have a couple college degrees and make four or five times what my wife does who doesn't have a degree. But then again my sister in law (who's never been to college) sells real estate and makes four or five times what I do. It's not a perfect world out there.....Steve1

I have a couple college degrees and make four or five times what my wife does who doesn't have a degree. But then again my sister in law (who's never been to college) sells real estate and makes four or five times what I do. It's not a perfect world out there.....Steve1

I'm in software and make more than average of that with a degree. Granted, I'm working on my degree now, and will be for quite a while, it just all depends on what you do.

A degree doesn't dictate your income. That's the point I'm trying to get across.

I just wanted to call the previous poster on her assertion that college will lead to a "well paying" job.

I know more people with degrees that don't make shit for money. Then on the other hand I used to be Broker and made over 100k a year without finishing my degree. In fact of the 100 Brokers at the firm I worked for I could count on one hand the number of guys that had a degree! The ones that did have one didn't even use the damn thing!

Dom

im afraid im going to end up like the people who live in trailers at the dz.

Well how about this...

I have a real job FedEx for 12 years.
I live on the DZ. ZHills.
I am going back to school start Spring.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

PS. If you're still in college, you're not really qualified to say what people who have already graduated should be doing in their job searches. Perhaps your parents can support you for five or six years, should you have some difficulty finding a job in your chosen field, but most people have to pay bills. They're out of college; they can't afford to be idealistic anymore.

Sorry your friends are having trouble. Yes, I am still in college, and will be in college for quite some time. My parents do not have the means to support me, nor do they help me pay for college. So, just a little fyi, not everyone in college can't speak for the working world. I know how it is. Trust me, I have plenty of bills and can't afford to not work, either. I do, however, believe that college will pay off for me in the end. I'll be doing something more interesting and will undoubtably make more $$ than I do now. That means more skydives, more lobster dinners, and therefore a happier Angela.

And, to make another point, if I weren't going to make more $$. I would probably still be in college. Education is important, i'm glad i'm pursuing one.

Not trying to argue, either. Just wanted to reply to your post about my idealistic thinking and make sure you understand that I can't afford to be out of work any more than your friends can. Good luck to them.

Angela.

Sorry your friends are having trouble. Yes, I am still in college, and will be in college for quite some time. My parents do not have the means to support me, nor do they help me pay for college. So, just a little fyi, not everyone in college can't speak for the working world. I know how it is. Trust me, I have plenty of bills and can't afford to not work, either. I do, however, believe that college will pay off for me in the end. I'll be doing something more interesting and will undoubtably make more $$ than I do now. That means more skydives, more lobster dinners, and therefore a happier Angela.

And, to make another point, if I weren't going to make more $$. I would probably still be in college. Education is important, i'm glad i'm pursuing one.

Not trying to argue, either. Just wanted to reply to your post about my idealistic thinking and make sure you understand that I can't afford to be out of work any more than your friends can. Good luck to them.

Angela.

Fair enough. Good luck to you, too.

--Douva
D-22772

I was a physics major. I just switched today. I changed it to geophysics. I am a junoir and lost a few classes, but thats okay. I know that college is right for me, I need a technical degree to get into UPT for the air national guard (pilot training).

And, I want to study snow hydrology (avalanches), so the geophysics works better than pure physics.

I guess what im saying is that there was no way that I wasnt going to college and i am 100% sure I made the right choice. I only have 1.5 years left!!!