CrazyDave

Logbook

I think most DZ's will give you a small logbook to use when you are first starting out. My DZ gave me mine right after my first jump.

AFF instructors fill out the entries for the AFF jumps as proof that you did the jump and passed (or not). Once you graduate from AFF, you will probably want to go and buy a regular one. They don't cost much at all, and usually hold a few hundred jumps.

Matt
-----

At my DZ you get a student logbook after your second jump. The thought is that if you just make one jump and never show up again, then the log book is a cost that the DZ doesn't have to spend. If you show up for a second AFF jump odds more in favor that your going to come back.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

At my DZ they give everyone making a jump (either AFF or Tandem) a simple paper log book that will hold about 10 jumps.

The instructors filled it out for me for my first few jumps. There after we talked about what had happened in the jumps and they had me fill it out and they signed it.

Once the cheep paper one got about half full I bought a real log book. I was told to transcribe the old entries into the new one and take both to the instructors that signed each jump originally. They reviewed it and signed in the new book.

I did notice a change in peoples attitudes when I got the real log book. I guess it was a sign that I was serious and was going to keep with the program.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

just out of curiosity, does everyone get another jumper to sign each jump or just the qual jumps for new lic.'s?

you should be getting every jump signed by a liscensed jumper...atleast thats the impression ive gotten from the few months ive been jumping for.

.-.

just out of curiosity, does everyone get another jumper to sign each jump or just the qual jumps for new lic.'s?

Well, every jump for me from now till 500 is a qualifying jump for my D lic, so I think that I will be getting them signed.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Just be sure they are signed. It's great to have someone on the jump to sign, but it's not always possible. Either way, make sure someone signs it. Now thats coming from someone who often doesn't log anything for a week or two, then tries to sort it out. DON"T DO THIS EITHER!!! Sucks trying to remember!:S

Don't tell me I can't! I already know that! Haven't you seen my x-rays?

Rules you will have to look up but the rumor (I'm an AFF'er) is that after you get your A license you should get every jumps signed off by another licensed jumper that saw your jump. In other words an A can sign for an A.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I ussually pick someone at the end of the day that was around for most of my jumps and get them to sign them. The other person that can sign them is the pilot but I don't like to bother them.

Any other skydiver can sign for you after you have your A (afaik.)
~D

i was wondering... when did you start filling out your logbook do you need to have one ready for your first jumps?!?! and do you enter your AFF jumps in the book?

Questions like these are answered in the Skydiver Information Manual (SIM). You can purchase it from USPA or download it for free at uspa.org. You should become familiar with it's contents. I recommend logging every jump btw.

never pull low......unless you are

Havent bothered reading all the posts here so far so I might just be repeating what everyone said but AFAIK most parachuting orgs require a logbook for all jumps. The DZ that you jup at should supply you one for your student jumps.

Anyway even if you dont have to for whaever reason you should still do it. Im pissed off acuse I lost my logbook with my original 20 jumps or so when i did SL a few years back, Ive got a new one from when I started AFF last year and reading those first few jumps I made brings back a lot of memories, I can almost picture those jumps perfectly again after having a read of them!

I know some skydivers who log every single jump...and some who log none. It's pretty important to keep accurate logs at least until you have 500 jumps or so. Especially if you are considering becoming a coach or instructor. Additionally, you will need proof of freefall time to receive your freefall badges, etc.

The other importance of logging jumps is for traveling to other DZs. This ensures that the DZ you are going to knows that you are current. In some cases this does not matter, in others it does.
~D