mofo554

Diversity in Skydiving

dude, I so read that post you quote as being a joke... am I wrong?

the original poster is quoting a film whos tag line is "Surrender pronto, or we'll level Toronto! " for gods sake.

Joking about how pathetic racists are is not racism

theres a lot in this thred that is writen as a joke but can be seize upon to attack the auther

The only thing that made me smart a little was observations about ecconomic backgrounds in which I do not know how much truth there is.

So are you saying you don't believe there is an economic gap or an employment gap between White americans and Black Americans?

Blue Skies Black Death

So are you saying you don't believe there is an economic gap or an employment gap between White americans and Black Americans?

heh, depends on which white americans we are talking about. I'm white and poor as shit - actually poorer than shit cause I owe, I owe, I owe....
Scars remind us that the past is real

Taking over? That phrase is just like fingers on a chalkboard to me. ***

ok you obviously have not seen the movie or looked at my too quickly to realize it was a quote from a movie. A movie where we go to war with canada because the cold war is over... get it...

IT WAS A JOKE

Sheesh, i thought skydivers were more relaxed than this.

dude, I so read that post you quote as being a joke... am I wrong?

the original poster is quoting a film whos tag line is "Surrender pronto, or we'll level Toronto! " for gods sake.

Joking about how pathetic racists are is not racism

theres a lot in this thred that is writen as a joke but can be seize upon to attack the auther

I am glad to see someone still has a sense of humor.

Was wondering though? Since there are probably a good amount of people from canada reading these posts do i have to take into account 'Le Quebecois,You know. Wine drinkers. Pea soup eaters. French Canadians!' and post in both english and french and if i don't will i get fined, 'a thousand dollars Canadian, or 10 American dollars if you prefer.'

OK i have a mate of mine his name is kevin hes from Jamaca he weighs in at bout 230lbs he has 45 jumps and has the fliying skills of a SAFE we always have a laugh jumpin with him and theres a tandem master/aff jumpmaster called mike he posted on here a while back looking for other black jumpers...

We don't have a heck of a lot of women either, with the sport being about 80% male dominated. Although here in sunny So. Cal we do a lot better than that, with plenty of women jumpers out at Perris and Elsinore, and other So. Cal DZ's, I'm sure. At Perris we've got a very few Black men (no women that I've ever seen) who are licensed regulars. Over the years I've known a black jumper or two, here and there. Usually they were in, or had been in the service and got their exposure from being around jump operations in Airborne, or as a rigger or something like that.

For many years we've had a club called The Latin Skydivers and there are quite a few Latino jumpers nowadays. Lots of Asian heritage jumpers too, as well as a great many who travel here from Asia, mostly Japanese. It's good to have what diversity we have in our sport and would be better if we had more. For what it's worth, I've had several of my black (I grew up when "black" was in vogue, and think "African-American"is just too cumbersome) friends tell me that skydiving is "crazy white man shit" and that white men are always doing crazy shit like climbing mountains and jumping out of perfectly good airplanes and then wondering why so many of us get killed. They've got a point there...

But I do think the welcome mat is out and wish more people of all kinds would come on out and join the family.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I am completely 100% Peruvian. In my latin family/culture, there was always a strong emphasis on our careers and on spending time with the family. Most of my relatives live in South America, but I have ALWAYS tried to spend as much time as possible with my immediate family.

It is difficult. My home DZ (Elsinore) is 1.5 hours southeast of me. My parents live 1 hour northwest of me, two brothers ~ each 20-30 minutes NW of me (Brentwood and Hancock Park), BF (amazing athlete, but sky whuffo)~2-2.5 hours SE from me (San Diego). (All the time frames are by freeway.) My siblings and I are all in very serious relationships with different interests/friends, but we are all quite close-knit. (I am always driving...[:/]) It's not always easy to make it the DZ, but, yes, I am a regular jumper.

Personally, I LOVE that I am a tiny, feminine, latin/hispanic woman. People are shocked when they learn of my skydiving, especially whuffo males! :ph34r: (Yes, I have on-going health problems, but...so what?) I strongly feel that my latin culture does not emphasize enough women's liberation, nor our strength /ability to be able to do anything that men can do. Yes, I was brought up to be very cautious, so as not to get hurt. Being "good' is big in my culture, so I've never broken any bones, nor tried any drugs or promiscuous sex. Still, I was brought up by parents who went against the grain to a certain degree when they migrated to North America to find the American dream! Yes, I was pretty sheltered when compared to my "caucasian" friends, but, now, I thank my parents for having been strict with me. (Btw, I STILL "acted out/rebelled" when I was a teen.)

All the latin children from my childhood, my parents' Peruvian friends' kids, were raised like me. English was our preferred language (not Spanish), and we were considered "well-off" here in North America. We all traveled extensively and had great educations, hobbies, etc. Our parents (some rich, some poor in South America) all went to med school together in Peru and migrated to various states in the U.S. when their kids (us) were babies/children or not even born yet. I may have been a "sheltered geek or prude" to have been raised the strict, Catholic, latin way, but I am now considered a "classy lady". Also, I pursued so-called "dangerous sports, as a cautious adult, who still respects her life and does her research to try to be safe. After all...gravity knows no gender or color. B|