jerry81

Safer sub-terminal deployments question/pondering

[QUOTE]What happens when you have an A/C emergency and have to get out low[/QUOTE]

bail on reserve.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic but when I said low I meant 2000'. If you have to pull your reserve because you don't trust your rig to open subterminal, you need a new rig.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

less than 2,000 feet I am pulling my reserve after clearing the aircraft. I don't know about you but I don't want to fuck around.

I wouldn't do a hop and pop period from 2 grand. Pulling low is stupid, imo.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

>less than 2,000 feet I am pulling my reserve after clearing the
>aircraft. I don't know about you but I don't want to fuck around.

Nothing wrong with pulling your reserve below 2000 feet, but keep in mind that you've got the same amount of time bailing out at 2000 feet than if you pulled at 2800-3000 feet in freefall. The argument against using your reserve at 2000 feet is that you give up your backup, but in an aircraft emergency that's not a big consideration.

One thing I'd advise if you do decide that you'll bail out at 1800 feet on your reserve - practice it! Many jumpers have never touched their reserve handles in freefall, and definitely haven't practiced a poised exit with both hands on your reserve handle. It's not a difficult manuever, just feels a little odd the first time you do it, since you have no arms to fly with.

less than 2,000 feet I am pulling my reserve after clearing the aircraft. I don't know about you but I don't want to fuck around.

What is the lowest you have pulled? A C&P from 2000 is safe and fairly common.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The pc in tow happened on a Wings and the closed pin cover was suggested as a possible reason

The main pin protection on my Wings never comes open on deployment: its not supposed to unless you pack wrong. The bridle will pull the pin out under the side of the flap and you only have to open the cover for packing.

The pc in tow happened on a Wings and the closed pin cover was suggested as a possible reason

The main pin protection on my Wings never comes open on deployment: its not supposed to unless you pack wrong. The bridle will pull the pin out under the side of the flap and you only have to open the cover for packing.

I'm aware of that. But the force needed to extract the pin is greater with the flap closed- at least on my current rig. I just checked and I don't even need a fishing scale to tell the difference.
When that pc in tow occured, both my vertical and horizontal speed were quite low as I pulled. So the closed flap could have been a factor, although I don't know how much force a 26" pc generates at different airspeeds, so I can't back this assumption with any hard data. I'm sure this has been measured before, so if anyone knows where such information can be found, I'd be very grateful.

[QUOTE]What is the lowest you have pulled? A C&P from 2000 is safe and fairly common.[/QUOTE]

I've pulled at 2.5k before a few times until I realized pulling low is stupid and pointless. I pull at 3.5k. This is what all the experienced people at my DZ pull at, and I think any lower you begin to push the safety envelope for just a few more seconds of freefall. Not worth it. Plus, I generally love the canopy aspect of skydiving, and want to get a nice ride, whether it be floating in brakes waiting for traffic, or spiraling it hard. B|

I'll like the 3.5k pull limit more and more as I start flying more advanced canopies that have more aggressive malfunctions, I'm sure.

I don't care if you or anyone else wants to do a clear and pull from 2k, go right ahead, I'll ask for at least a grand more of altitude though. ;)

let my inspiration flow,

With your rig lying on the ground, leave the pin cover closed then pull on the bridle. Does the rig move before the pin is pulled?

Here's an example of how much pull a PC has at low speeds. the kill line broke on my Pilot chute this weekend (yeah yeah.. I know lack of maintainance)... so I slid the line out of the bridle. Disconnected the Bag from the parachute and tied the kill line to a loop I installed on the on the slider.

Basically it's now a removeable dbag and pilot chute.

After opening I grabbed the line to reel in the PC and was VERY surprised at how much force it took to reel in the inflated Pilot chute. I don't know how many pounds it was but it was enough to make it difficult.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I don't care if you or anyone else wants to do a clear and pull from 2k, go right ahead, I'll ask for at least a grand more of altitude though

If you have the option, thats great. If the plane breaks at 1500 and you ask for more altitude the pilot might not comply. Just because you do not feel comfortable at 2000 does not mean that it is stupid, so please don't refer to the many others on this forum that do as stupid.:P

maybe you wern't listening when I said if the plane has a malfunction under 2 grand I wouldn't feel comfortable jumping out and deploying my main. I'd bail on my reserve. I always decide what elevation Im going to before I get into the plane (if I can help it, weather, etc). I won't budge on my belief that it seems stupid for me to jump a skydiving main from less than 2 grand! Sorry if I hurt your feelings. :P;)

let my inspiration flow,

hey mjosparky, out of curiousity how long does it take your canopy to open? I notice you're jumping a canopy that is designed for accuracy (correct?).

My canopy takes ~600 feet to open depending on how I packed it.

let my inspiration flow,

***less than 2,000 feet I am pulling my reserve after clearing the aircraft. I don't know about you but I don't want to fuck around.

With your jump numbers you have no buisness pulling at 2000'. I'm not a big fan of pulling low either and I seldom pull below 3000' but, my minimum container opening altitude recomended in the SIM is 2000' and I am confident that my rig will open if I do happen to find myself there, if I wasn't, I wouldn't jump it. Also I think that someone with barely more than a hundred jumps should accumulate a little more experience and knowledge before he starts spouting off to experienced folks about what's what, imo. Read my posting, I said 2000', not below 2000'.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

hey mjosparky, out of curiousity how long does it take your canopy to open? I notice you're jumping a canopy that is designed for accuracy (correct?).

Opening at 2K on a hop n' pop is quite a bit different than deploying at terminal.

As for snivelly canopies, my Stiletto usually takes 500-700 feet to open. On a hop n pop I'm usually in the saddle about 150 feet after exit. Granted, I pull in a smidge of rear-risers during the opening, but it still opens smoothly and softly.

However, it's all about comfort level. Stick with what's comfortable for you at this point in your skydiving...barring emergency exits, of course.;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

With your rig lying on the ground, leave the pin cover closed then pull on the bridle. Does the rig move before the pin is pulled?

Yes. I can lift the lower end up an inch or two before the pin is extracted. Is that a problem?
Anyway, given the weight of the rig, this puts the force neede to extract the pin somewhere below 10lbs. A 26" pc should probably work fine even at very low speeds.

A canopy opening on a C&P will be far different then at terminal on any canopy. I jump a variety of canopies, both round and ram air. Since you have read my profile you notice I do some test jumping and have for over 20 years. Many test plans call for you to exit at 2000 to 2500, take a 3 sec. delay and pull. Until you understand more about how and what makes a parachute work, it is best that you continue to pull above 3000. A wise man once said, "It is better to be still and thought of a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt".
And don't worry, you don't hurt my feels, I have none.;)

update; I actually got to jump my new Voodoo today.:)4 jumps, one of them a h&p from around 3k. I didn't do a clear and pull (actually, I did a head down exit), but it was definitely a sub-terminal deployment. No towing pc, even though the pin flap was tucked in, but the riser covers actually did stay closed a bit longer- the canopy was about halfway open before I felt them release. I steered through the opening with my hips and it felt no different than usual, although the top of the rig was pushing into my neck before the riser covers popped open.
Terminal deployments were all nice, perhaps even a bit softer than on the Wings, although they might have felt that way because of the custom-fitted harness.
To conclude; I might leave the riser covers open if I do another hop&pop in the near future, although I suspect they stayed closed because they're still a bit too stiff. Hopefully, this problem will go away after a couple more jumps.

Right on there, pulling low is just making things more difficult for you.
I did 5 jumps today, all from 5000ft, out of a Cessna 182. most of us were pulling between 3.5 - 4k. Why? Flying canopy is also fun B|
I have made a number of very low exits, but I prefer to pull high. Low exits mean more stress.

What is the lowest you have pulled? A C&P from 2000 is safe and fairly common.

I'm with you Mike, although C&P's from 2 grand don't seem very common anymore. Most of the "hop & pops" I've seen on the ride up are somewhere between 5 and 6 grand and leave me thinking "that's a hop & pop ??". I remember speed star teams making practice exits at 5500 ft... The worst thing about it is that a lot of these people are students, or going for their A license, and the thought of getting out as "low" as 5 grand really scares them and I can't help but feel a little sorry for them. I always make a point of telling them how NICE it will be and that they'll like it and shouldn't worry.

The gear nowadays is totally safe for stepping out at 2 grand. I haven't done a 2 grand exit in over 20 years and that was on my old rig, but I do remember that my pilot chute went out BEHIND me in the relative wind, rather than straight up, and that I swung below the canopy in kind of an arc as it opened. As BillVon points out, an exit at 2G gives you as much time as a terminal opening from about 2800 ft or so. I think it's just that the ground is bigger and you have more time to think about it looking down on jump run.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

but I do remember that my pilot chute went out BEHIND me in the relative wind, rather than straight up, and that I swung below the canopy in kind of an arc as it opened. As BillVon points out, an exit at 2G gives you as much time as a terminal opening from about 2800 ft or so.

Tom, this is the point if feel some of the newer jumper do not understand. You can pull off the step of a C-182 doing 100 mph at 500 ft. and be open by 400 ft. If you were at terminal at 500 ft. and pull, well you are fucked. I am not saying anyone should do C&P's from 2000 ft. but they should learn their equipment well enough to know it can be done safely.
Sparky

[QUOTE]Opening at 2K on a hop n' pop is quite a bit different than deploying at terminal. [/QUOTE]

Lol, obviously. ;)

[QUOTE]As for snivelly canopies, my Stiletto usually takes 500-700 feet to open. On a hop n pop I'm usually in the saddle about 150 feet after exit. Granted, I pull in a smidge of rear-risers during the opening, but it still opens smoothly and softly. [/QUOTE]

OK, so you're at 1,850 feet with a parachute that is beginning to malfunction after its finished opening. That's 350 feet above my harddeck. Maybe your harddeck is lower than mine, fine. I fly a sabre, it eats up a good bit of altitude in a hard diving turn. I wonder if your stiletto eats up more. ;)

I don't like the sounds of a parachute malfunction starting at 1,850 feet. But like you said its all about personal comfort level. I'll do a 300' BASE jump before I'll C/P from 2 grand. :D

let my inspiration flow,

I am not saying anyone should do C&P's from 2000 ft. but they should learn their equipment well enough to know it can be done safely.
Sparky

That's it right there. When I was working on my Pro-rating, I was jumping from 2,000 feet under a Sabre 210. I knew my equipment and how long it was going to take to open. Knock on wood, I didn't have one problem with any of the openings. Now, one of the exits, that's a different story, but it's all good.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey