ethan

Posted to middle east

I was in that general area during Desert Storm, but that was long before I started jumping, but what I do know about the area is this:
I don't recall seeing any real clouds during my stay there.
It's pretty hot, but it doesn't feel that bad because the humidity is so low.
I don't know if this has changed, but while I was there no one was allowed to wear either shorts or short sleeved shirts, something with either the religion or the culture, I can't remember.
The people there were as friendly as can be, and the food was awesome.
I don't know if this helps, but that's my two cents.

Help! I've just been told from Monday I'll be in the Middle East Aub Dabi (can't even spell it!) does anyone know or jumped at somewhere local where I can get my jump hungry fix!

Ethan,

Headcorn to Abu Dhabi will be fun – not the least for the temperature and humidity. But I won’t spoil the surprise for you. Some years ago I had 2 years working in UK and made Headcorn my home DZ – I guess I did a few hundred jumps there over the period. The Smarden Bell has a special place in my heart as does the memories of pints of Fremlins and Stilton Ploughman’s…..

I just spent 10 years in the Middle East and jumped at various places. Your nearest DZ is an hour or so up the track to the north – a place called Um Alquwain (various similar spellings on the maps). It’s north of Dubai and right on the water.

The DZ has a Grand Caravan and soon to (or just arrived) KingAir.

There’s a core of expats who jump there on weekends. They have boogies every year – one in February run by Pete Marsden and then typically in the Ramadan Eid when most expats get some time off due to the end of Ramadan. That’s happening right now, in fact.

The DZ has had its ups and downs, especially with aircraft hassles, as well as private aviation being shut down for various periods after 9/11. But I believe things are back on track at present.

Cost for 11000’ is 75 dirhams last time I was there earlier in the year. That’s 12 sterling or so.

PM me and I’ll give you some contact numbers, including a guy who lives in Abu Dhabi – I’m sure you’d be able to car-pool with him at least initially.

So go out there and have a ball, I certainly used to. I have returned to Australia and miss those warm desert nights.

Blue Skies,

fergs B|

So it's not a good idea to take the snowboard then!

Thanks for the info, will def send you a pm. Looks like a long winter in the sun, lifes getting harder :)

Definately take the snowboard. It'll become a sandboard and is great fun on the huge dunes that you'll find in the desert. It's a blastB|.

fergs

Hey Ethan, not Dimitri-Ethan?
You can't go to Middle East, who am I going to take the piss out of?:(, and slide around fields in binbags with?:S How long are you going for? Have you got insurance covering you against kidnappings by Freddie Mercury obsessives? Oh well, bon voyage - thats French by the way, oh and blue skies. Take it easy on the Dabu Abians:ph34r: