hawkflight

Just a few questions on first AFF jump after deployment of parachute

Hi I am going to be taking my AFF 1 on Sunday
I completed the classsroom last week....and had a question or two i WAS HOPING i COULD GET ANSWERED HERE....1.After deploying my main chute and and making sure I have a good canapy that I can control.....Just how hard is it going to be for me to find my playground and then to follow the landing pattern...I understand what I was taught in class regarding this "the book work"...so to speak....but I am unsure as to the difficulty in appying and executing these manuvers in real life......IU hope this makes sence.......Thanks in advance for any help in this area.......I do plan to disscuss my concerns with my jumpmasters but was hoping to get a heads up from you guys........Thanks Tom

"Any fool can learn for his own mistakes, a wise man learns from anothers." Mark Twain

>>1.After deploying my main chute and and making sure I have a good canapy that I can control.....Just how hard is it going to be for me to find my playground and then to follow the landing pattern...<<

Not hard. If you have questions, ask your instructor to go outside with you and talk to you about aproximately where he thinks you will be over the ground when you open and where your playground is over the ground for the winds that exist at the time you ask.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Refer your questions about canopy time to your instructor before you jump. That's very important. Very.

From my experience in AFF, I found it was not difficult to navigate to where I needed to be. Remember that you are in control and you need to make it go where you want it to go. You'll figure out just how much input you need to make your turns when you are in the sky.

Know what your winds are doing...both the uppers and the ground winds.

You will be deploying high so you will have ample time to deal with any possible problems and to arrive in your holding area. I almost landed out once, but it was after AFF and due to my forgetting to check the spot before I left. Your instructors will be sure that you are in the right area for your first jump.

Follow the landing pattern your JM designates. Have him or her show you the area you should hold in and be in for landing on the aerial photo and on the ground.

My advice....do what your JM instructs, be sure to enjoy the view, be smart under canopy, and remember to finish the flare. You'll be on radio, so that will be a big help.

Most of all, have a good time!B|
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Hi I am going to be taking my AFF 1 on Sunday

Definitely ask your Instructors for clarification.:)
Another idea is to do a learning tandem. Go through the dive flow, same as AFF 1, and have the Instructor explain everything under canopy, as you both fly it. Learning this way takes away the anxiety that normally is present of an AFF 1 jump and makes learning more difficult.

Good luck!

Derek

There should be a visual painted on the floor somewhere or an aerial photo from about 3k hanging up somehwere. Take a peek at it and get your JM to show you where the spot is. If you drive down to Skydive Suffolk, I'll guarantee you'll get this instruction. You'll also be on a radio and they won't let you stray too far. And rule number....Just have a good time!

Goose

"Never waste a heartbeat."

Just how hard is it going to be for me to find my playground and then to follow the landing pattern...

Hi Tom

Be sure to speak to your Instructor before you go up to get this clear! I will always tell my students to look at the wind direction and have them tell me where thier check point 1 should be. Then I explain that the playground is up wind of that point and to get over that area after they do a control check. So from about 4000ft to 1000ft they have time to get over the "play ground" area and then start thier landing pattern. Learn about whats up wind and whats down wind before you even go up!
If your going to be on radio, dont rely on it.
If you feel you haven't learned anything about the pattern even after you have worked with your Instuctor, do a TAF and have the Instructor let you fly the pattern without his input unless you need it. This will help you alot in learning a pattern for when you jump with your own parachute.
So.
This is what I do with all my students and I hope it helps you in some way.:)
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Your instructors will go aver a "Canopy Flight Planner" with you on the day of the jump (they usually do it on that particular day because they've seen some spots, landings, and know the wind direction).

You will be able to associate physical ground references with where you should be in altitude. Your instructors will make sure you know where to be.

CHECK IN!!!
CHECK OUT!!!
PROP!!
UP DOWN OUT!!

Wheeee

What is the "Prop!" check for? Just to get your head back straight forward? 'Cuz once I'm in the door on a 182, the prop is a very small concern to me - the pilot can worry if it stays attached and keeps spinning. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

What is the "Prop!" check for? Just to get your head back straight forward? 'Cuz once I'm in the door on a 182, the prop is a very small concern to me - the pilot can worry if it stays attached and keeps spinning. :)

Yes..to make sure your head/shoulders are square with the front once more.

(and just remembering the "check in, check out, prop, ready - set - arch" made my heart jump again. heh...)

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

Don't worry, it's not hard at all! We do have a nice aerial photo of the airport, and before you go, you will always be briefed by your instructor at the photo as to where your holding area will be, where you should enter your pattern, and where you should be doing your turns. You will be on radio, but as someone said, don't rely on it, because it does sometimes fail. Just make sure that before you and your instructor leave that photo, that you are totally comfortable with where you will need to be. As you progress through your training, they are still going to take you to the photo, and they are going to start asking you to tell them where you should be holding, entering pattern, and flying pattern, so pay a lot of attention in the beginning so that you are not just going where they tell you, but you are learning why you are going there. It'll make things easier later on for you. Good luck!!

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

CHECK IN!!!
CHECK OUT!!!
PROP!!
UP DOWN OUT!!

Wheeee
From that remark, it looks as though you had to learn to skydive from a C182!:ph34r:

We have them check prop in the King Air too, so they don't look down. And, you know look at the plane as you leave.....

Ed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

We have them check prop in the King Air too, so they don't look down. And, you know look at the plane as you leave.....

Hi Bon
The "prop" count is common to most all counts for any plane.
I was thinking this was a C182 exit because of the "up-down" count.
Isn't your exit on the King Air all 3 out (ISI) with student checking to the reserve side, then the main, and then checking "prop"?
Or do you guys do the exit with only the reserve side out, and the student inside facing torward the prop in the door, with the mainside in the plane? Thus, the "check in, check out"..?
I can't remember ever seeing a student exit anything other that a C182 with an "up-down" count. I've always seeing the "out-in" count for an Otter, King Air or Caravan exit.
And wouldn't it be great if they "ALL" arched and looked at the plane when they exit!:ph34r:

Ed:)

for the Otter, Perris uses a count of, after getting the okay from both JMs, Lean out, Lean In, Lean out (all the way) and ARCH.

for the skyvan its kinda a bounce up, down, step back and arch.

either way, its just the student setting a rhythm for the JMs to follow, so everyone is on the same page and exits when they're supposed to.

for the Otter, Perris uses a count of, after getting the okay from both JMs, Lean out, Lean In, Lean out (all the way) and ARCH.

for the skyvan its kinda a bounce up, down, step back and arch.

either way, its just the student setting a rhythm for the JMs to follow, so everyone is on the same page and exits when they're supposed to.

Hey Thanks:)After the 1100+ AFF Instructor jumps I have done. And for all the different aircraft over the past 11yrs I have did them out of, like Otters, Caravans, Skyvans, King Airs , Queen Air, C182 and C206,
A reminder of exactly what the count is for was great!:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r::P