kelel01

Another stupid question: first pack job

Of course...the A-license card only says "Pack a main parachute without assistance", doesn't say it has to work. ;)

Seriously, don't get all stressed about it. I know people who are learning to pack get tired of hearing this, but it'll probably work fine. Listen to whoever is teaching you, and make sure to watch everyone else...you probably won't learn anything earthshaking, but you'll pick up a lot of little tips that will make it faster and easier as you go along.

Just remember, you're gonna be doing this a few thousand times, so no need to rush ;)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Seriously, don't get all stressed about it. I know people who are learning to pack get tired of hearing this, but it'll probably work fine.

The key word here is PROBABLY ....:)

Be confident... they ALWAYS open.

mmmm... at least I am pretty sure... right???:D

"We see the world just the way we are...

I was told all I had to do was pack a main parachute and get it in the bag and in the rig....then...i could pull it out and have a packer re-do it before my jump but come on...what fun would that be...and my friends wanted beer for the day so i decided why not! i was doing my practice pulls the whole way up for my cut away and reserve handels. sure enough, at 4,000 feet...it opened just fine!

good luck...and trust me, it will open!

"Airborne all the way"
EL Cantador Rodriguez

One of the people who taught me how to pack told me that she would jump her student's very first pack job (not the one they would end up jumping). She would tell them that she wasn't going to pull any higher than she normally did either. It always opened for her and was a great confidence builder for them.

The parachute wants to open!

:)

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"

At Elsinore they made me jump my first pack job. Right before exit one of the JMs goes "This your pack job? Pull high!" At least it made me laugh.
It was also my A-license check jump, so I had other things to concentrate on until pull time. This was probably a good thing or I would have spent the jump thinking "I hope it works I hope it works..."

And, as all of us experienced packers know, the more time you spend on it, the harder it will open. Don't know why that is, but it's been true EVERY time for me.

I remember packing a friend's Stiletto one time after he'd let me borrow it, and I wanted to make sure it was OK for him. He watched me flaking the stabilizer, flaking the cells, making sure the lines were all even...and he said "JESUS, you're making me nervous! Just stick it in the damn bag"!

I did, and it opened fine ;)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

You know where your cutaway handles are right?:P That was what the packers,DZO and my buddy said when I went to jump my first pack job. I jumped it on a hop-n-pop(first) so I wouldn't have to worry about it not opening for 9,000 feet. I pitched 3 seconds out the door. Was I ever relieved, but i sure was ready to fire red,silver!

You have a perfectly good reserve that WILL open. Took me awhile to get comfortable with that fact but it is a fact. Your reserve is going to OPEN! So don't worry so much. Besides the extra bit of adreninline(sp) wondering if your pack job is gonna open is kinda nice :D

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

That's the truth! you still have about two hundred more pack jobs before you start packing with a beer in your hand... who knows how many till you can't even remember packing the night before... not that I've done/seen/or condone either one of those practices...as long as it's your gear...

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

You guys are cracking me up! I just want to say one thing, though-- my true concern is that THEY WON'T SIGN OFF ON MY CARD if it doesn't open. :D I mean, yeah, I'd rather not have a mal, but if I do, I at least want it to count for something OTHER THAN 3 cases of beer for one jump! :D (One for first pack job, one for first reserve ride, and one just for me, because hey, I'd need one!)

Just one more question: has anyone had this same experience? I was learning to pack a couple of weeks ago, and I just couldn't make heads or tails of anything. A lines, B lines, I couldn't tell. I STILL don't know what it means to "quarter the slider". I think that's why this is a legitimate concern of mine. Anyone?

Kelly

Not to be the voice of dissent, but we had a guy recently who jumped his own first pack job to get it signed off, and sure enough, chopped it. I don't even remember what the mal was right now...maybe a step-through? Anyway, to answer your question, NO! It did NOT get signed off on! He had to try again, and was successful the second time. This is so rare, though, I'm sure you will do fine.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

arguably... quartering the slider is just about the most important thing to do while packing... that and nice, little, neat line stows. My advice... figure out how to 'quarter the slider'. Your canopy and body will thank you!

have fun!

Chaps
Carpe diem

Scariest for me was the *irst time another student jumped my packjob. I don't think I've ever felt sicker at the dz, waiting to see that canopy...

Student never noticed anything out of the ordinary, by the time she had touched down I had gone back in to make some cash for gear rental + jump.

"Nothing is written"- T.E. Lawrence

I think the first time I was aware of another student jumping my packjob was when my buddy was doing his first freefall. I was on his load and I told him on the way to the plane "Oh Felix, is that #8 you're jumping? I packed that!" To which he answered "Well, if it doesn't open I'm aiming for your car." I think I was more worried than him during his 5 second delay, but it opened fine. He then took out the windsock with that canopy, but that's a different story.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.