Nightingale

Time Out Altimeter

I've been jumping an old school one for a few hundred jumps, and I won't jump anything else. It's LOUD, accurate, and easy to set.

I agree. I've put about 700 jumps on an old model one (just audible, no visual) that I bought in '99. I met George the inventor in Quincy that year. Simple to use, accurate and reliable.

Over 1,000 jumps using the same one (4+ years). Very reliable and easy to use. Have used it in three different type helmets and easily heard in all. Batteries available at Wal*Mart for about $4.00. I change it everytime I set the clocks ahead.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

If "all" you want is a reliable accurate audible then I'd buy the Timeout.
If you really wanted a Protrack then either buy the Timeout now and the Protrack later and have two audibles... or wait and get the Protrack.

If you get both then later you could find another poor skydiver who really could use a inexspensive (or free) audible and give a little love:).

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I've had one for over a year now. Can't compare it with anything else...haven't had anything else. It has proven to be very reliable and accurate. It is inexpensive and easy to set. You get three signals during freefall. Breakoff, (or whatever you choose as your first audible cue, this is the only one of the three altitudes you set), 2500 ft., and flat-line at 1500 ft. According to my instruction sheet you can even change the break-off warning during the climb to altitude. (I haven't though) No visuals, nothing fancy. I think if I get any other kind it will be to use as a electronic log book.

Just so you know... the new Time-Out is a far cry from the old ones. The new ones aren't as accurate and have different technology in them. Also the newer Time-Out is definitely not as loud... make sure that if you are going to get the Time-Out make sure it's one of the originals and not a new one or a Time-Out 2000. Those 2 models are worthless.

My 2 cents... the comment about buying the Time-Out now and getting a Pro-Track later to have a backup audible is a good idea in my opinion. For at least a year, avoid the Neptune... waaay too many bugs and technology issues.

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

can you set all three beep altitudes, or just one?

the website says it automatically beeps at 2500, and at 1500, but being a newbie, those are too low for me. I like beeps at 5500 (get ready to pull), 4500 (pull now, if you haven't done it yet), and 2500 (my hard deck)

You could still use a time-out. You could set your break altitude to wherever you want to break, track/slow down/etc for 5 seconds (or however long the size of the group you're in warrants) then pull. Use the second 2500' tone as your hard deck.

If you want to get picky about setting altitudes you're going to need a dytter/protrack/skytronicFX

Standard issue warning: don't get too reliant on an electronic conductor to lead the orchestra at the end of your skydive.

Of course you already know you should not be thinking of setting warnings that say to you "get ready to pull" and "pull" but rather a warning that says to you "why the hell didnt you pull back then like you were supposed to?"

You should not be getting an audiable to tell you when to pull - its there to remind you that you forgot. How about getting the time out and setting the first warning 500ft lower than your pull hight. That way you are aiming to beat it and maintain your altitude awareness instead of relying on a machine (which breaks) to maintain altitude awarness for you.

I was advised not to buy an audiable until I had at least 50 jumps so that I would not fall into the bad habbit of relying on it. After 50 jumps you should have been able to develop altitude awarness youself and wont spend the rest of you skydiving career relying on a gadget.

I vote either get the time out and set it slightly low (therefore its a safty device incase of brain fart) or wait for the pro-track - by which time you will have developed your own inate altitude awarness.