bluewaterstream

Dropzone.com Classifieds

I'm in the process of buying a piece of gear off someone from this site. However, they don't have any of their profile info filled out and they have never posted in the forums, so basically no one here would probably know who this person is. Should I be skeptical about sending this cat $100 or am I being paranoid? Have any of you been scammed by anyone here? Just curious...

I bought a hook knife from a guy that was in the same situation. Paypal'd him cash, got the knife. Good transaction.

I am also the avid ebay'er, so I am used to having to trust total strangers. It's your call, just get a phone number, good email addy, and address and I would have no fears. Make sure you get a few pics of what you propose to buy.

Well, at least it's $100 and not $1000. Could always call the person's DZ and see if anyone has an opinion. I bought my new canopy through the DZ.com classifieds and had a great experience, but I was lucky enough to be able to make the transaction in person. But for a $100 item, unless there was something really fishy about the deal, I'd personally just risk it.

Dave

see if they'll send the item to your rigger. When the rigger has the item, and you've inspected it, then send the cash.

Good calls all the way around. Involve a third party - a rigger or a DZO, call the owner's DZ if you're nervous about the transaction, and see if the owner will be willing to take a deposit that's half of the cost of the item in question.

I personally have bought all my equipment to date from folks advertising on the classifieds at dropzone.com. I've put together 2 awesome rigs over the past few years (a Javelin/Triathlon/Firelite and a Vector3/Stiletto/Crickett - probably about $4000 or better worth of gear) from ads in the classifieds, through some smart dealing.

Good luck.

Blue Skies -

FunBobby

Y'know, instead of posting her name here to see if anyone knows her, it might be better if you just contact the seller and ask whatever questions you need to ask to be comfortable with the purchase. If you don't feel good about it after talking with the seller, don't buy it.

Seems pretty simple to me...

I got ripped off big time by someone on this site on a birdman suit. He protrayed himself as a dealer for a number of companies and when I enquired to them it turned out he was. Moral of the story I still got taken. Always be carefull and check out potential sellers and buyers to eliminate the risk.

peace

I've sold two rigs via these classifieds. Both people were terrific and the deals went fine.

We handled the "dealing with strangers" thing very simply. I found out where their dropzone was and found a common local friend. Usually a rigger or instructor. (It's a small world, talk to your DZ owner and rigger and instructors and they'll usually be able to vouch for someone just about anywhere). In one case, it was Jim Crouch at USPA, in another, it was a (major) gear store at the DZ. We used that person as the go between. (In both cases, this person ended up doing the inspection and made a couple bucks as a results anyway).

It also helped me to find out the buyer's experience level and whether I felt comfortable selling that equipment to them.

I took a deposit and sent the rigs to the common friend. This way I had a clean trail to the customer. Everyone was happy with this arrangement.

But you aren't talking about a rig, just a component. So this route is likely a bit of overkill.

Point is, you have options. Work it out with the seller.

good luck

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I did purchase my Cypers a few weeks ago from a lady who posted it for sale here in the classifieds. It was a very good experience. I can only praise her professionalism and courtesy.
While I would generally trust a fellow skydiver, I would certainly make sure that I feel confident in doin business with the person, based on how the person replies to my questions. If I have any doubts, I would try to find where this person jumps and contact his/her DZ for feedback. Bottom line, it's about people, some are good some are bad. Do what you feel comfortable with. ;)

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

I had inquired on a container at one point and the person's dz sent it to me to check it out. It didn't fit, I sent it back. No problems.

I just purchased a helmet from the classifieds,... it hasn't arrived yet, but should be here next week. I am sure it will be in good order, and the person I bought it from seemed like a nice guy and posts often on the forums.

I don't know if i'd personally trust sending $$ to someone that wasn't a poster on the site,... 100$ is 100$ when you're not rich (like me). It isn't like e-bay,... you have some assurance there I believe.

Angela.

I wonder if dz.com needs some seller/buyer ratings like ebay has. It may not be too useful since I'm sure the majority of people selling anything have never sold anything before, but it still could be useful to warn others of a bad experience.

Dave

I've seen other websites that have a "seller rating" in with their user name, so it is possible.

I've sold 5 canopies on here and am in the process of selling my 6th. Never had a problem yet but as a seller, I had my "rules". I needed the money up front before I sent anything. Aside from that I worked completely around the buyer. I know its only $100 but the person should be willing to work with you. If they dont want to help sell it, then you dont want to buy it, believe me.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Yes, involve a middle-man. I recently bought a $4500 system off the classifieds here; I'm in DE and the seller was in CO. He had given an email address so I emailed him; we exchanged phone numbers and talked voice. I then used my DZO as the middle-man and left a $4500 bank check with him which the seller then called and verified was there. He then sent the rig to my DZ and when I, and my rigger, had checked out the system and decided to take it, the check was sent to the seller. Had no problems fortunately but there's always an element of chance, for both the buyer and the seller, with these type transactions no matter how many precautions you take. For a $100 item you may not want to go to such lengths but hey, $100 is $100 so you still want to be careful. Good luck.....

I bought from her and it was a good transaction! I have never met Lorelei but based on the way she handled my transaction I would vouch for her. She was patient enough to wait for me when I misfiled an email from her and didn't respond immediately.

EsG
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Just an FYI, Lori (skykittn) turned out to be a cool person to buy gear from. She actually works for a DZ, which made me feel a lot better. I sent my check to the DZ and received my jumpsuit a few weeks later. I would definitely buy from her again and just wanted to make sure that I shared my experience with all of you because she seems to sell a lot of gear on this site.

~ John

so far I've sold 1 main, 1 reserve and 1 rig in these classifieds and have recieved the money upfront or phoned into my jump acct. if they wanted to use a credit card but there are a bunch of regular dz.commers that would vouch for me if they questioned anything. Glad you had a good experience.