dgskydive

What makes you a freeflyer?

Of course I know what a Freeflyer is. What do you consider freeflyin? I have had this talk with a few people and want to get some other opinions.
My point is that just because you can Sit and Stand you are not really a freeflyer.
People have been sitting, standing and back flying for over 20 years. It is nothing new. When this whole freeflying thing came about it was only the people that could fly in all demensions that where called freeflyers. It was the head down that made the difference. That is when you are really free.
For the record I am mostly an RW guy. I can sit and stand but still tend to slide all over the place. Do I deserve to call myself a freeflyer? I don't think so. Once I can fly in all demensions I will call myself a freeflyer. What do you think?
Dom

My point is that just because you can Sit and Stand you are not really a freeflyer.

No way! If you are flying in orientations other than belly, you are freeflying and therefore a freeflyer (not to say that belly flying cannot be part of freeflying; i just meant belly flying other than RW).
Head down flying is just one dimension of freeflying. It just seems to be the most "glamorous". So what. If you are sitflying, you are freeflying.:)

I didn't answer the poll because there are multiple answers that I think qualify. Sometimes "free flying" is referred to as VRW. It includes sit, stand, and head down, and maybe some variations such as back flying or other stuff I hadn't necessarily thought of. "Free flying" is just a subjective term that came to be, and there has been a lot written about what this type of flying should be called.

Just get out, relax, and fly, improving as you go. Don't worry about it.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Mind set.

I'd have to say I know several freefyers that fly on their belly. I call them Cameramen.

I've watched some extremely talented and creative camera men that fly very freely all over the place. They come up with some very dynamic video.

Desire.

People with 40 jumps that are out performing acrobatics and learning to fly dynamically are freeflyers.

There's more but I have to get back to work.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

There is a preclusion in your question and answers. It is that a freeflyer is made by ones capability to fly a particular position. I always look at it as being able to do something (anything) other than arching and falling - as long as you are in contol of the flying. B|

Does not having earned an AD not make you a freeflier? Even though I freak, we often do "freeflown" exits in R-dub. You can stereotype, but nowadays it can be difficult. I know many freaks & swoopers that can turn points with the best. I also know a lot of r-dub types that can freefly in all dimensions. The same thing can be said for CReWDogs. Does a 2 stack after a freefall make you a crewdog? I've docked 8th+ on a diamond a few times, but I haven't done many downplanes. You talk to some of the hardcore dogs and they say you are still a pup until you have cutaway from a wrap or entanglement. Who cares what we label ourselves! We are all skydivers!

It's all good! B|

There is a preclusion in your question and answers. It is that a freeflyer is made by ones capability to fly a particular position

Not just one postion, but all of them make you IMHO a freeflyer. Until then you are working to become one. It's like the old TV show KungFoo. "Take the pebble grasshopper". Once you can do that last thing you are complete in that way.
I have a lot of respect for people that fly on there heads. One of my new found hobbies is watching the Flyboyz and Alchemy in the tunnel. It is amazing to me how good they are on ther heads and they can all do fairly good RW. So in my mind they are true freeflyers. They can fly on any axis at anytime.

Dom

My opinion about this is way the hell off in left field - but here it goes.....

You are a freeflier if that is what you are interested in and if that is what you are mainly working to improve on. For Example - I can sit, stand, or head-down without a problem - But I am not a freeflier Because I love RW much more and would rather do that than freefly anyday!
=========Shaun ==========

Because I love RW much more and would rather do that than freefly anyday!

Sucks for you!;)

Edit:

For Example - I can sit, stand, or head-down without a problem

Thats pretty impressive to be able to do that and be a good RW flyer in only 215 jumps.