Skylark

Can I 2-way a tandem?

A friend of mine wants to do her first tandem. I want to ride in the same jump plane and freefall with her. Am I allowed to 2-way her tandem? Do I need a CAT-10? Would there be extra dangers with the drogue chute?

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

Depends on the TM...

How many jumps do you have? I generally won't let folks do that unless they have over 500 jumps and I trust them/know them. It is a very dangerous thing to do, you could not only kill yourself, but kill the TM and the student as well.

Something you can do, though, is be in the same plane and exit before the tandem. That's usually really cool for the tandem passenger.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

with very, very few exceptions, I do not allow any people with under 500 jumps to "jump with" me when I am doing a tandem. If you are just off students status, then I will let you jump before me, but I am going to give you enough space that you will not endanger me or my passenger.

I've got some friends coming out to do tandems, and I'm just going to see if I can exit right before them.... backflip out of the skyvan and wave byebye while they're staring over the edge.

hehehehe

This would be fun. If my aunt does a tandem when we go to Deland in March, this is as close as I would want to be. Especially after reading the thread that riddler linked. Would not want to be in an accident like that at all.[:/].

But I am fine with just being on the same jump run as her and seeing her land. B|

I just read many of the posts posted about this matter I what I have to say is.... I dont think numbers of jumps matter that much. I had 65 jumps when I jumped with my wifes tamdem. It was great!! I held her hand and smiled for the cameraman. Made a really good video for the family to watch. Later with about 140 jumps I participated in a 9 way star with a tamdem of a friends daughter.
On both ocasions the tandem pilot had been my AFF instructor and he knew how I flew.
Especially because every solo jumps I did I would always follow 4 way, 3 way and 2 way teams to train myself to level and follow without interupting.
Now in the other hand my friend with about 600 jumps at the time jumped with his girlfriends tamdem and it didnt go as well due to the fact that he hit the drogue line and that could have gotten them in big trouble.
So my advice is... do you think you can??? Thats how I do it. I know this might sound not very responsible advice but thats the way I do things. I study the situation in my head and say to myself.... this I think I can do that I'm not sure so I will take a raincheck for when i'm ready.
Just my opinion.

thats why I mentioned that he had been my Instructor and he knew I was capable and so did I.

Also... My statement was not only referring to that situation but many others, also I was stating how I proceed not necessarely anyone else.

One situation that I see many times is... when someone intends to downsize canopy everyone simply looks how many jumps you got and by that determines... if you should or not. Witch in my opinion is only a smaqll percentage of what you must consider.
For example. Take someone that has 2000 jumps and flys a 150 rectangular canopy and always has done his straight in approaches and does not even dream of trying to make it go faster or make it swoop. Now in the other hand theres this 200ish jump kid that has been flying the same canopy (150) but has always used his canopy to the max...(front riser turns, perfecting his flares, landing downwind,crosswind, taking canopy courses, etc). Both decide to downsize. Who would be more experienced at this point.??
I think it depends on your abilities and what have you been training. your mind to do.

he knew I was capable and so did I.

Ok, now I don't know your skills so this isn't necessarily directed at you, but rather that statement. There are PLENTY of skydivers who THINK they are capable of something. One only has to read the incident reports (including non fatals) to realize there are a number of us who aren't able to realisitcally evaluate our skills. Either because our egos won't let us, or we simply don't have the experience to do so.

We need to check the ego's at the door and be honest with ourselves. I know if I had the foresite to do so a few years ago, I wouldn't be sitting with compressed vertabrae now (not tandem related).

Try not to be one of them.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team