rockrookie

How many jumps can you put on a canopy?

It mostly depends on the environment you jump it in.
Less sand.
Less moisture.
Indoor packing on carpet NOT grass.
Less sunlight.
The BETTER....
Talk to a rigger on your home DZ and let him see your canopy if your talking of one you are going to maybe buy, and he may tell of it's est. value.:)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Material makes a huge difference...

Zero Perosity (should be zero Permeability) will last longer than the design... many have over 4000+ jumps...

I have some old Falcon canopies (0-3cfm material... F-111 type) in for reline with as many as 2000 jumps. (We make stuff that lasts too long!!!)

But with all of the canopies that old, while they may be very "functional" canopies, you're really cheating yourself by utilizing the older designs. Parachute design has progressed as fast as computers in the last few years. The newer designs fly better, easier, and open sooo much better, but most importantly, more safely deliver you to the ground.

Budget is always a consideration. But take the time to try new before you buy old. Demos are cheap, spend a tiny amount of cash (demo fee, shipping, etc.) and see what's out there before you commit to an older design parachute purchase... You'll be surprised.

Chris

But with all of the canopies that old, while they may be very "functional" canopies, you're really cheating yourself by utilizing the older designs. Parachute design has progressed as fast as computers in the last few years. The newer designs fly better, easier, and open sooo much better, but most importantly, more safely deliver you to the ground.

I don't know if the safety part of this is strictly true. Obviously, ram-air canopies and ZP make for some very soft landings for many jumps (as compared to ram-air F-111 or rounds). But I don't know if the latest, greatest designs necessarily open more reliably or more consistently within the comfort zone than some older designs. If the new stuff is continually getting better, I should like to think the improvements are very tiny - ram-air canopies are pretty stinking reliable and have been for some time now, from what I understand.

I do agree that the newer stuff can "fly better", and "fly easier" (smoother control, perhaps), but I don't agree that this makes a canopy safer as much as it give it more capacity to be flown high-performance.

Maybe when I get some more money and try some new stuff out, I'll eat my words.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

in safer...

I mean canopies that are more intuitive to fly...

Meaning better landings...

I mean canopies that can glide further

Meaning get you home from a ...not so good spot...

I mean canopies that open far more comfortably

Meaning fewer injuries from deceleration...

Yes the new canopies are safer than older designs, without question.

The lawyer in the house would want me to add a disclaimer here, but you know us... we don't play that game. Although anyone can get hurt under any canopy, the newer designs, when flown with good judgement, give you a better chance for success... (not to mention more fun too!)

Chris

>Indoor packing on carpet NOT grass.

In a study done a while back on military ram-air parachutes, they found that carpet isn't all that good to pack on. It tends to trap dust and sand and has a lot of friction. Friction makes it easier to pack but is hard on canopies. The best surface they found (in terms of canopy life) was painted, clean concrete.

n a study done a while back on military ram-air parachutes, they found that carpet isn't all that good to pack on. It tends to trap dust and sand and has a lot of friction. Friction makes it easier to pack but is hard on canopies. The best surface they found (in terms of canopy life) was painted, clean concrete.

yes but my knees are a hell of a lot more important then adding a handfull of jumps to the life of my canopyB|

I know a girl I jump with that has over 800 jumps on her canopy..no new lines etc all origional gear

She is due for a new line set.

They stretch unevenly over time, upsetting the trim of the canopy.

And they start breaking at about that point, usually at fingertrip junctures.

Manufacturers usually recommend a new line set every 600 jumps or so.

After jumping canopies for years until something broke, I finally wised up and starting replacing line sets proactively. Doh! That's the best way to go.

>Indoor packing on carpet NOT grass.

In a study done a while back on military ram-air parachutes, they found that carpet isn't all that good to pack on. It tends to trap dust and sand and has a lot of friction. Friction makes it easier to pack but is hard on canopies. The best surface they found (in terms of canopy life) was painted, clean concrete.

How about wrestling mats? Padded, but smooth low friction surface that won't trap grit. (That's what we use).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know a girl I jump with that has over 800 jumps on her canopy..no new lines etc all origional gear

She is due for a new line set.

They stretch unevenly over time, upsetting the trim of the canopy.

Don't lines shrink due to frictional heating from the slider?

(Upsets the trim either way).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How about wrestling mats? Padded, but smooth low friction surface that won't trap grit. (That's what we use).

hmm, how much does it cost to outfit a packing area sized space with wrestling mats (either new or in decent condition?

And, perhaps more importantly, how long before people walking on them with street shoes before they start getting torn up pretty badly?

Their was a load organizer at Z-Hills who had a Sabre 135 with over 6000 jumps on it. One day he had a line over malfunction that damaged the center cell. He sent it back to PD and after doing porosity tests they told him it was probably good for another 300 jumps or so if he wanted to invest in repairs.He declined and replaced it.

I don't know if the safety part of this is strictly true. Obviously, ram-air canopies and ZP make for some very soft landings for many jumps (as compared to ram-air F-111 or rounds). But I don't know if the latest, greatest designs necessarily open more reliably or more consistently within the comfort zone than some older designs. If the new stuff is continually getting better, I should like to think the improvements are very tiny - ram-air canopies are pretty stinking reliable and have been for some time now, from what I understand.

I do agree that the newer stuff can "fly better", and "fly easier" (smoother control, perhaps), but I don't agree that this makes a canopy safer as much as it give it more capacity to be flown high-performance.

Maybe when I get some more money and try some new stuff out, I'll eat my words.

You came to these conculusions in just 67 jumps. Hmmmmm:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals